Asus VG279qm/VG259QM vs MSI MAG251RX. in depth comparison of the best IPS 240hz(i've tried them all,Amazon BAN incoming)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
writer21
Posts: 33
Joined: 30 Mar 2014, 02:54

Re: Asus VG279qm/VG259QM vs MSI MAG251RX. in depth comparison of the best IPS 240hz(i've tried them all,Amazon BAN incom

Post by writer21 » 11 May 2020, 08:36

RLCScontender wrote:
10 May 2020, 19:51
Bubba08 wrote:
09 May 2020, 13:17
I just ordered the msi and only because i heard the colors are great. People said that the colors on the Asus are very bad for an ips and also that the 280hz is useless cause it can't keep up so I thought to myself what would be the point of getting that over a cheaper TN. If anything wait for the 360hz TN over the 280hz ips

the colors are excellent. Also at 1200:1 (which is tied with the FI27q-p in highest IPS contrast, it's beautiful to look at). I closed my blinds and turned off the light in my room so my room was pitch dark. And the blacks are still "black" and not "greyish" looking.

Image

Image

Image

i lucked out with the 125% SRGB MSI. It's almost as vibrant as my 133-140% SRGB viewsonic nano panel

Well damn... I'm actually considering the MSI over Asus on these pictures alone.

RLCSContender*
Posts: 541
Joined: 13 Jan 2021, 22:49
Contact:

Re: Asus VG279qm/VG259QM vs MSI MAG251RX. in depth comparison of the best IPS 240hz(i've tried them all,Amazon BAN incom

Post by RLCSContender* » 11 May 2020, 13:53

Stayle wrote:
11 May 2020, 08:00
jnashville wrote:
11 May 2020, 00:16
i have posted pictures of my vg259qm previously as well, showing color uniformity and have little backlight bleed as well on a black background.

i am not defending my purchases at all.

I have 3 different 240hz monitor.
benq XL2546
Asus VG259QM
Alienware AW2518H

Out of this 3, the benq has the most yellowish tint.

as for you mr fan boy, who knows u can be a MSI promoter doing all this. anyway i am lazy to argue. The others have also voiced out against you. rest my case. dont have to respond back defending yourself, cant be bothered already.
Thanks for the info you gave for the VG259QM. I don't want to defend anyone, but RLCS got the 27" version and maybe he had a defective one ? And someone already said the 24" of Asus had better colors than the 27"(more yellowish).
Atleast to me he didn't seem to be affiliate to MSI, and his arguments quite make sense to me between choosing IPS over TNs.
Nice to hear 280hz 80od can keep up while playing.
it had a dead pixel. But when it comes to actual performance, the VG279qm/vg259qm delivers.I had no issues beating other TN users when i played games on old Asus. 280hz is a major advantage(although negligible for most, if you compare a 240hz monitor vs a 280hz monior side by side, the 280hz monitor is clearly faster).

ELMB-SYNC is a perfect match at those refresh rates since it's locked at OD 80. So the crosstalk isn't as strong. This means that with the added motion clarity and speed of 280hz as opposed to 240hz, and ELMB-SYNC, the Asus SHOULD have the absolute sharpest image against fast moving objects.

The Asus delivers at high framerates. It's a good monitor, but the colors are just too grainy for my taste. There are ICC profiles that help mitigate it but don't think that u won't notice yellow/brownish tint.

the g2g average isn't as quick as the MSI which means the MSI is faster i the framerate is at 240hz or below. But above 240hz(which most FPS can easily run since it's not really graphicallyd demanding), the Asus is clearly faster than the MSi or any TN monitor at that.

the 360hz TN will take the top spot later this year. Then again, ELMB-SYNC at 280hz refresh has very very minimal crosstalk, so the sharpness of strobing should still be better than the 360hz TN even it legitimately has a 1ms average pixel resonse time.

ILOVEPRADO
Posts: 3
Joined: 30 Jun 2020, 12:50

Re: Asus VG279qm/VG259QM vs MSI MAG251RX. in depth comparison of the best IPS 240hz(i've tried them all,Amazon BAN incom

Post by ILOVEPRADO » 30 Jun 2020, 13:15

RLCScontender , thanks for your points, very useful info!
I play csgo (shooter) on a Benq zowie2546S 240hz TN panel and even on that, to get the smoothest feeling i go lower resolution and now it turns out that this 2 ips monitors even faster? Faster than TN? In numbers maybe but what about the smoothness?! RR 240 is nice and 1ms is also good but the ips itself cant be faster. I got really sick of this TN panel due to its pic quality and if there is an IPS monitor that is not worse than Zowie2546S i will buy tomorrow my friend!

PMaestro
Posts: 18
Joined: 01 Jul 2020, 15:09

Re: Asus VG279qm/VG259QM vs MSI MAG251RX. in depth comparison of the best IPS 240hz(i've tried them all,Amazon BAN incom

Post by PMaestro » 01 Jul 2020, 15:13

jnashville wrote:
11 May 2020, 00:16
i have posted pictures of my vg259qm previously as well, showing color uniformity and have little backlight bleed as well on a black background.

i am not defending my purchases at all.

I have 3 different 240hz monitor.
benq XL2546
Asus VG259QM
Alienware AW2518H

Out of this 3, the benq has the most yellowish tint.

as for you mr fan boy, who knows u can be a MSI promoter doing all this. anyway i am lazy to argue. The others have also voiced out against you. rest my case. dont have to respond back defending yourself, cant be bothered already.
Hey,
many thanks for all the info you have added, i made an account just to ask you this question haha.
What would you say is clearing in terms of motion clarity and also response time or even if you notice a difference.
The benq XL2546 or Asus VG259QM

I am so undecided between these two at the moment but i will go with one of them due to availability.
I play alot of FPS games so im looking for good response time and motion clarity

thanks

jnashville
Posts: 75
Joined: 17 Apr 2020, 21:14

Re: Asus VG279qm/VG259QM vs MSI MAG251RX. in depth comparison of the best IPS 240hz(i've tried them all,Amazon BAN incom

Post by jnashville » 01 Jul 2020, 19:06

i have both the xl2546 previously and now vg259qm

just get the vg259qm. the colors on the xl2546 is awful. in game, you cant notice any difference in motion clarity between the two.

in a web browser, the awful whites on the xl2546 is such a turn off that you will feel the premium paid for it is not worth it.

PMaestro
Posts: 18
Joined: 01 Jul 2020, 15:09

Re: Asus VG279qm/VG259QM vs MSI MAG251RX. in depth comparison of the best IPS 240hz(i've tried them all,Amazon BAN incom

Post by PMaestro » 02 Jul 2020, 01:28

jnashville wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 19:06
i have both the xl2546 previously and now vg259qm

just get the vg259qm. the colors on the xl2546 is awful. in game, you cant notice any difference in motion clarity between the two.

in a web browser, the awful whites on the xl2546 is such a turn off that you will feel the premium paid for it is not worth it.
In the UK they are currently both the same price for me. Im just looking for low input lag and low response times since i mainly play fps. Looking for the best monitor to give me a competitive edge. This is why motion clarity is also a big thing for me.

Thanks for the reply :)

User avatar
axaro1
Posts: 307
Joined: 23 Apr 2020, 12:00

Re: Asus VG279qm/VG259QM vs MSI MAG251RX. in depth comparison of the best IPS 240hz(i've tried them all,Amazon BAN incom

Post by axaro1 » 03 Jul 2020, 07:47

jnashville wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 19:06
i have both the xl2546 previously and now vg259qm

just get the vg259qm. the colors on the xl2546 is awful. in game, you cant notice any difference in motion clarity between the two.

in a web browser, the awful whites on the xl2546 is such a turn off that you will feel the premium paid for it is not worth it.
I do notice a big difference in motion clarity on the VG259QM with ELMB-Sync ON vs OFF.
Strobing on this monitor truly get the best out of this panel, I set the refresh rate to 280hz + capped ingame at 270 with Adaptive Sync ON + vsync(for perfect frame pacing).

Motion quality is great with ELMB-Sync and being able to set an fps cap instead of forcing low lag vsync gives you a great experience.

Strobing massively mitigate motion blur and the input lag difference is imperceptible.

Setting Shadow Boost to Level 3 does a good job increasing the overall brightness.

I literally can't play fps games without ELMB-Sync, this feature is just too good.
XL2546K 1080p 240hz TN (MAIN) | VG259QM 1080p 280hz IPS | XG2402 1080p 144hz TN | LS24F350 1080p 72hz LPS

R5 3600 4.35ghz 1.237V AVX stable | 3600mhz Hynix C-Die [CJR]https://i.imgur.com/R5Rm34i.png | 5700XT Gaming OC 2059mhz 1121mv[/color]

PMaestro
Posts: 18
Joined: 01 Jul 2020, 15:09

Re: Asus VG279qm/VG259QM vs MSI MAG251RX. in depth comparison of the best IPS 240hz(i've tried them all,Amazon BAN incom

Post by PMaestro » 04 Jul 2020, 13:50

axaro1 wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 07:47
jnashville wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 19:06
i have both the xl2546 previously and now vg259qm

just get the vg259qm. the colors on the xl2546 is awful. in game, you cant notice any difference in motion clarity between the two.

in a web browser, the awful whites on the xl2546 is such a turn off that you will feel the premium paid for it is not worth it.
I do notice a big difference in motion clarity on the VG259QM with ELMB-Sync ON vs OFF.
Strobing on this monitor truly get the best out of this panel, I set the refresh rate to 280hz + capped ingame at 270 with Adaptive Sync ON + vsync(for perfect frame pacing).

Motion quality is great with ELMB-Sync and being able to set an fps cap instead of forcing low lag vsync gives you a great experience.

Strobing massively mitigate motion blur and the input lag difference is imperceptible.

Setting Shadow Boost to Level 3 does a good job increasing the overall brightness.

I literally can't play fps games without ELMB-Sync, this feature is just too good.
Thanks for the reply

I got the monitor yesterday, loving it and i haven't done much to the settings
i use 280hz with od60, i used the LG 27GL850 before this.

Thanks all for all your input, helped me make a great decision :)

Alpha
Posts: 98
Joined: 09 Jul 2020, 17:58

Re: Asus VG279qm/VG259QM vs MSI MAG251RX. in depth comparison of the best IPS 240hz(i've tried them all,Amazon BAN incom

Post by Alpha » 12 Jul 2020, 11:36

PMaestro wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 13:50
Thanks for the reply

I got the monitor yesterday, loving it and i haven't done much to the settings
i use 280hz with od60, i used the LG 27GL850 before this.

Thanks all for all your input, helped me make a great decision :)
I have the Omen X 25F, Omen X 27 (1440p, 240hz) and the LG 27 850. How are you liking this after a bit especially compared to the LG? Did you go 25 or 27? Interested in motion clarity comparison, depth (some TN's to my eyes can feel like they have less depth or maybe that is normal or the contrast?), and just anything overall. Wanting the 25 but have to wait due to stock. I'm the guy despite perfect vision sits really close to the screen and even though the 27 I could grab today it seems impractical choice with resolution and my nose on screen. :lol:

Thank you!!
Last edited by RealNC on 12 Jul 2020, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote.

Randallel
Posts: 2
Joined: 12 Jul 2020, 13:46

Re: Asus VG279qm/VG259QM vs MSI MAG251RX. in depth comparison of the best IPS 240hz(i've tried them all,Amazon BAN incom

Post by Randallel » 12 Jul 2020, 13:58

I have a few questions in regards to the overdrive modes for the ASUS. Do I have to change my overdrive depending on how many FPS I can achieve, or is it when I enable VRR/change the HZ on the monitor.

Locked