Asus VG279qm/VG259QM vs MSI MAG251RX. in depth comparison of the best IPS 240hz(i've tried them all,Amazon BAN incoming)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
RLCSContender*

Asus VG279qm/VG259QM vs MSI MAG251RX. in depth comparison of the best IPS 240hz(i've tried them all,Amazon BAN incoming)

Post by RLCSContender* » 10 Apr 2020, 07:25

Moderator Alert wrote:Thread Locked
See Reason
Prologue

I wasn't really much into hardware but because of Covid-19 lockdowns, i was in the market to buy a 240hz IPS monitor. I basically had plenty of time in my hands because of the lockdowns here in the United States; one of which is picking the best 240hz IPS monitor so I can stick with it for the next few years before upgrading. I'me xtremely picky. one dead pixel is an automatic RMA return. If one monitor is 1ms slower, i will NOT pick that one over the other. I'm basically a perfectionist and the only way for me to know who truly is the best 240hz IPS panel is to TRY ALL OF THEM AND compare them are amongst each other. This was a slow process because i only had to buy 1 at a time bcuz i would get a full refund then return then use those amazon credit to buy a similar monitor. Basically my $$ was being recycled over and over and unfortunately Amazon is close to banning me.

But overall, i finally got the verdict and the two best IPS 240hz monitors right now is the Asus TUF VG79QM/VG259QM and the MSI Optix MAG251RX. The gap between the 2nd and 3rd place was so big that i'm not even goign to bother talking about 3rd place(alienware 27"/25" models 2520/2521) to the worst 240hz ips monitor(if u want to know it's the lg 27gn850, w/ no backlight strobing no wide gamut and it's slower than its nano cousin the lg 27gl750-b).

Without further ado, lets get started.

RLCSContender*

Re: Asus VG279qm/VG259QM vs MSI MAG251RX. in depth comparison of the best IPS 240hz(i've tried them all,Amazon BAN incom

Post by RLCSContender* » 10 Apr 2020, 07:49

Colors The most important variable when it comes to buying an IPS monitor. Winner=MSI MAG 251rx by a MILE.

Both use the same AO Optronics AHVA fast IPS panel but there are differences. THE Asus is 8 bit while the MSI is 10 bit(8 bit+FRC). Which means the MSI will have an emulated 1 billion colors vs the asus at 16 million and MSI monitor will have less color banding(color inaccuracies) and less color uniformity(color variances). The AHVA IPS panels are probably among the worst IPS panels when it comes to colors, but if it doesnt' have dithering, it will have a lot of color inaccuracies and color uniformity. This can be fixed with a professional color calibrator but even then, the color uniformity will get in the way. The Asus TUF VG279qm has by far the WORST colors I have ever seen for an IPS panel and i ranked it dead last among the 240hz panels whereas i ranked MSI mag251rx as 2nd place(the LG 27gn750 in my opinion had the best colors).

MSI is wide gamut and the ONLY wide gamut 240hz ips monitor thanks to its 8 bit dithering emulating 1 billion colors. MSI is the clear cut winner in COLORS. You can see the vibrant and vivid images on video games, movies, youtube, etc and it's quite nice to see and it really does look like a very good IPS monitor. Although the oversaturation really isn't that strong, the color uniformity is way better. Here are photos of how bad the color uniformithy is on the asus.

The asus is equivalent to TN level colors due to its horrendous color uniformity. Don't even bother trying to watch a movie because the inaccurate colors and backlight bleed will annoy you. unfortunately, this panel doesn't have DITHERING which reduces color banding and color uniformity. Even some TN panels have better colors than this. The oonly redeeming factor is that the viewing angles are better than TN; however, that isn't saying much because if your panel has IPS glow, it will be more noticeable on an off angle.

phpBB [video]

THOSE grainy looking dots are NOT glare from my camera to the screen. It's individual pixels. No joke
Last edited by RLCScontender on 10 Apr 2020, 09:07, edited 1 time in total.

RLCSContender*

Re: Asus VG279qm/VG259QM vs MSI MAG251RX. in depth comparison of the best IPS 240hz(i've tried them all,Amazon BAN incom

Post by RLCSContender* » 10 Apr 2020, 08:20

Speed. The winner=VG279qm and it's also the fastest OVERALL monitor right now.

Both were so fast that my $80 budget Oscilloscope gave me inconsistent readings so I purchased another Oscilloscope off amazon that specializes in IPS/LED/LCD type monitors that is about $400. And the measurements were basically the same. 3.1 g2g average for the MSI and 3.8 for the Asus)I did 20 rise/fall with minimal error. The MSI wins in g2g average because the overdrive implementation was better implemented since they are only using 3, instead of 5 overdrive settings(asus). Then again, the whole purpose of g2g response times is to minimize motion blur and the asus has motio blur reduction while keeping adaptive sync capabilities.

IF you overclock the Asus VG279qm to 280hz WHILE you turn on ELMB-SYNC, then the +40hz in motion clarity thanks to its higher referesh rate and ELMB-SYNC(which is stuck on OD 80) which Is a good match at very high refresh rates, it's the fastest overall MONITOR right now. yes, the g2g response time isn't as fast as those 1ms TN but the MPRT is top notch. The trade off of pixel smearing(not really noticeable at these kind of refresh rates) with better motion clarity is worth it and thus, the VG279qm is undoubtedly is the fastest OVERRALL monitor.

It's difficult to tell the difference but i compared it to my 2nd main(viewsonic xg270) side by side and the and the asus was noticeably faster at 280hz vs 240hz. The only way you will notice is by simply comparing them side by side.

Here are my recommended settings if you want to have the fastest monitor that can easily beat the rival Variable overdrive or top notch TN monitors

asus vg279qm on its fastest overral settings

Overclock the monitor to 280hz
Turn on ELMB-SYNC
Set the viewing/game mode to RTS/RPG or FPS or my favorite Scenery.
Turn the brightness up from 90 to 100
make sure the framerate is pushing close to your refresh rate(280hz, you need good hardware)

if you have a fast enough hardware for constant high FPS or if you play a non-demanding game, the crosstalk will be minimal and the pixel smearing won't really be noticeable. :LMB-sync mitigates smearing since the VG279qm is too slow for 280hz. So if you don't have elmb-sync on, don't even bother with 280hz because the monitor is simply not fast enough to accomodate 280hz.

The cons however is that although the Asus is faster, it's only faster at framerates above 180ish. Because you will see VERY extreme crosstalk/double images from ELMB-SYNC since the overdrive setting looks like it's locked at overdrive 80. On lower FPS MSI is clearly the winner. Keep in mind too, the MSI also has backlight strobing and the crosstalk isn't as aggressive as on the Asus; sadly, the subtle tearing and stuttering was too distracting on top of how dim it is. (the asus is brighter if elmb-sync is on compared to the MSI's BFI)

this is no different from the LG 27gl850 vs the Asus TUF Vg27aq argument. The LG nano is faster g2g, but the VG279qm is faster if ELMB-sync is on. because the whole point of a faster g2g is having less motion blur. If ELMB-SYNC is on, then even if the g2g is slower, it will still have better motion clarity so by default, elmb-sync ON is faster. And yes, the VG279qm's OD setting while ELMB-SYNC IS actually pretty good at higher framerates> it has one of the better implementations of elmb-sync relative to the other crappy ones(unlike its cousin the xg279q). The benefit of having such a high refresh rate is that the smearing and the crosstalk isn't as noticeable while having no tearing since you have adaptive sync ON at the same time.

Lastly, 280hz ELMB-SYNC is very future proof. Even if other IPS monitor can match its refresh rate, it cannot match its elmb-sync since it's an "Asus" synonymous perk. ELMB-SYNC's enhanced motion clarity and sharpness at high refresh rate in my opinion can RIVAL any TN monitor right now in terms of competitive gaming. THe pereson with the better motion clarity will usually win.

Lets just wait until the 360hz TN monitor comes out because clearly ELMB-SYNC at 280hz gives the biggest advantage thanks to the sharpness and motion clarity. Keep in mind, there's a slight input lag increase(at least when i tried it if you overclock the monitor) but it's very subtle.

THE VG279qm wins in speed thanks to ELMB-SYNC and its +40hz overclock. Not just against the MSI MAG251rx, but all the TNs right now.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 10 Apr 2020, 08:32

Overall it's a matter of preference and i have it as a draw. THE MAG251rx has better colors(wide gamut with 8 bit dithering) while the Asus VG279qm has +40hz refresh rate and an ELMB-SYNC that is a good match at higher refresh rates making it faster especially on competitive w/ fast moving objects.

At these ridiciulously high refresh rates, it's really not noticeable whereas the wide gamut and 1 billion colors on top of its oversaturation IS more noticeable. Some people may claim that at 240hz, motion clarity is already good enough as it is. Believe me, if you have the VG279qm at 280hz while ELMB-SYNC is on, if yuo compared it side by side to a 240hz monitor, you will defnitely see a big difference.

Why I chose the mag251rx

1. It's the only TRUE ips panel w/ wide color gamut(although not very much) and 10 bit
2. it's faster at framerates below 180hz than the vg279qm
3. has decent backlight strobing(it's an option that u can use, hpwever it's too dim to use it in my opinion)
4. Has the best g2g response time among all other ips 240hz monitor. (the asus elmb-sync turned OFF and w/o overclocking at 280hz is slower than the MSI)

why i didn't pick the asus vg279qm

1. i don't really play super fast games like FPS titles. I'm a rocket league player
2. i had a dead pixel on my vG279qm monitor and even if i liked it, knowing how picky i was, i had to return it since i cannot tolerate the fact that i spend $400 on something that is defective.
3. the colors are the worst that i've ever seen on an IPS paneel and is dead last among the other 240hz monitors.
4. i didn't like how grainy it looked and that i had to sit way too far away to avoid pixelation

The grainy look and bad uniformity, and low PPI was so bad that i literally had to sit beyond visual acuity distance to mitigate its effects.

for a point of reference, this is how far i had sit to avoid pixelation and the UGLY grainy look at Visual acuity(my 15 yr old 27 inch 720p HDTV had wayy better image quality than the Asus.

if I don't abide by the visual cuity distance of 41 inches, you will see this. The uniformity amplify the backlight bleed and if u sit closer than 41 inches , it's easy to see individual pixels since the bad uniformity amplify it. (especially whites). The closer you sit more blurry it gets.

If you have ANOTHER monitor strictly for content creation, watching movies, web browsing, then PICK the asus tuf VG279qm as a secondary. if you don't, then get the MSI MAG251rx. If you play FPS titles, pick the asus. If you play anything else other than FPS, pick the MSI MAG251rx. ;If you are an esports SPONSORED professional, pick the Asus.

honestly u wont' even notice the differences in performance. I myself hold colors as the #1 criteria into buying an IPS monitor, others for competitive edge. I chose the former because it's redundant having TWO monitors for gaming and for watching movies. it's all a matter of preference. If it wasnt' for ELMB-SYNC and the +40hz overclock, the MSI would clearly be the better monitor,since i can easily use the lower g2g average argument for MSI. Sadly, the better g2g average argument doesn't apply if ELMB-SYNC is on since MPRT>>>>g2g response time

Buying an IPS monitor NOT for its colors is a MAJOR disrespect to the luxury of owning an IPS monitor. Then again, that's just my opinion.

it's a DRAW

forii

Post by forii » 10 Apr 2020, 10:11

I play FPS titles and as you said the MSI actually is better for games bellow 200 fps, so why you still suggest Asus in that case?

I play CoD Modern Warfare 2019 and I have avg fps 160, i do not use 280hz because of the slowest response time.
I run at 240hz (because its better than 280hz) + without ELMB (because I heard its good only for 200+ fps, also it hurts your eyes - :?: )

If you compare 170-200 fps fast shooter gaming on that MSI vs Asus, which one would u pick?

+ I dont care about colors, I only care about visibility in games, having too much good colors can distract you in games actually.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 10 Apr 2020, 13:54

forii wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 10:11
I play FPS titles and as you said the MSI actually is better for games bellow 200 fps, so why you still suggest Asus in that case?

I play CoD Modern Warfare 2019 and I have avg fps 160, i do not use 280hz because of the slowest response time.
I run at 240hz (because its better than 280hz) + without ELMB (because I heard its good only for 200+ fps, also it hurts your eyes - :?: )

If you compare 170-200 fps fast shooter gaming on that MSI vs Asus, which one would u pick?

+ I dont care about colors, I only care about visibility in games, having too much good colors can distract you in games actually.
gonna be honest with you. You don't notice a difference since their native refresh rate at 240hz(presuming you put "80" on the Asus and faster on the MSI) is basically the same. The only slight difference is maximum error rate that i saw but overral it's 7%(not noticeable) and that can be mitigated by adaptive sync/g sync compatibility. 3.1 g2g vs 3.8 g2g is not noticeable.

if u want to use ELMB-SYNC at 170hz, go for it. The crosstalk really is subtle but the motion clarity is more obviuos so the trade off is still worth it. Just don't push your luck using that at 144hz and below. 144hz and below is the cutoff point where you shouldn'lt use ELMB-SYNC,
on my monitor, ELMB-Sync has VERY strong crosstalk on the right and left quadrants. but the good news is, when i game whether it's a shooter,r acing, etc it's always on the bottom or middle so it doesn't matter.

Hell, i even experimented at 100 Overdrive on the asus and although i saw more blue halos, at 240hz, it's wayyyy more subtle than people claim it out to be since at ridiculous framterights like 220-240hz, it's easily mitigated. You will see blue halos but it's SOOO subtle that unless u really pay attention, u would think it's part of the game. So if u want to push 0.8 g2g on the Asus, go for it, really at these ridiculously high refersh rates(presuming the framerate is near there),

Even if u overclock it to 280 refresh, u won't notice much pixel smearingI(trust me, theere SHOULD be a lot of smearing because the monitor cannot keep up with that refresh rate). The response time compliance is under 30% which is bad, but u wont' see it. because at that high of a refresh rate, u would hardly notice any difference compared to if u were playing at 240hz

these are the advantages of 240hz monitors, The crosstalk, overshoot, blue halos, ghsosting, etc isn't as noticeable as if you were playing on a 144hz or 60hz monitor.

I've tried 100 overdrive, saw no noticeable difference in my performance. Those blue halos didn't get in the way of motio n clarity or gameplay, and although i saw them, it wasn't so much of a hinderence to the poitn where it will obstruct my gameplay, you will still see buttery smooth gameplay and u would just assume those blue halos are part of the game.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 10 Apr 2020, 14:02

One word for people reading this thread. The overshoot, crosstalk, smearing, ghosting, motion blur etc isn't in the SAME magnitude compared to 144hz and 60hz monitors. at 240hz (presuming the framerate is close to there), it's more subtle than it really is to the point where it really isn't a hindereance to the gameplay.

There's a lot of things yuo can get away with at ridiculously high refresh rates. Motion clarity usually mitigates a lot of those annoying motuin blur and overshoots.

so don't get caught up by those other monitor reviews where "u will go in the hospital if u play on max overdrive because those really only apply to 144hz monitors.

240hz monitors is the exception.

all of the things i've said is SOOOOO sbutle that the ONLY way anyone here would notice is if they have two 240hz monitors side by side.

those UFO tests=/=Actual videogame gameplay. In real gameplay, it isn't as bad as those UFO tests proclaim it is to be presuming you have the framerate near the refresh rate range.

forii

Post by forii » 10 Apr 2020, 16:36

RLCScontender wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 13:54
forii wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 10:11

gonna be honest with you. You don't notice a difference since their native refresh rate at 240hz(presuming you put "80" on the Asus and faster on the MSI) is basically the same. The only slight difference is maximum error rate that i saw but overral it's 7%(not noticeable) and that can be mitigated by adaptive sync/g sync compatibility. 3.1 g2g vs 3.8 g2g is not noticeable.

if u want to use ELMB-SYNC at 170hz, go for it. The crosstalk really is subtle but the motion clarity is more obviuos so the trade off is still worth it. Just don't push your luck using that at 144hz and below. 144hz and below is the cutoff point where you shouldn'lt use ELMB-SYNC,
on my monitor, ELMB-Sync has VERY strong crosstalk on the right and left quadrants. but the good news is, when i game whether it's a shooter,r acing, etc it's always on the bottom or middle so it doesn't matter.

Hell, i even experimented at 100 Overdrive on the asus and although i saw more blue halos, at 240hz, it's wayyyy more subtle than people claim it out to be since at ridiculous framterights like 220-240hz, it's easily mitigated. You will see blue halos but it's SOOO subtle that unless u really pay attention, u would think it's part of the game. So if u want to push 0.8 g2g on the Asus, go for it, really at these ridiculously high refersh rates(presuming the framerate is near there),

Even if u overclock it to 280 refresh, u won't notice much pixel smearingI(trust me, theere SHOULD be a lot of smearing because the monitor cannot keep up with that refresh rate). The response time compliance is under 30% which is bad, but u wont' see it. because at that high of a refresh rate, u would hardly notice any difference compared to if u were playing at 240hz

these are the advantages of 240hz monitors, The crosstalk, overshoot, blue halos, ghsosting, etc isn't as noticeable as if you were playing on a 144hz or 60hz monitor.

I've tried 100 overdrive, saw no noticeable difference in my performance. Those blue halos didn't get in the way of motio n clarity or gameplay, and although i saw them, it wasn't so much of a hinderence to the poitn where it will obstruct my gameplay, you will still see buttery smooth gameplay and u would just assume those blue halos are part of the game.
First of all, thank you so much for advice, I am too crazy and kind of perfectionist, because I always want the best things around me(dont ask me how many days I spent with overlocking OC/RAM/GPU), that is why I bought 240hz BenQ Zowie xl2540, just to compare it with my VG259QM, and after 1h of testing I throw away the Benq, its much worse, TN is a past, IPS will get better and better, that is what I believe, but for now this Asus and MSI will stay the best, maybe for even 1-2 year.
I also wanted to return that ASus and wait for that MSI, but if they are quite similar I think its not worth, I will stay with the asus, esspecialy I got quite nice one, not a big ips glow etc.

If we go back to the topic I didn't tested 280 Hz yet, I tested overdrive 80 for 240hz and its fine, not so noticeable overshoots but you can see them compare to 60 OD but OD 100 at 240Hz is unplayable for me in games. Dunno if its better at 280hz.
Alright, I turned on OC 280Hz / 80 OD (no ELMB), the motion blur on ufo test is so good, the ufo's are much more visibile compare to 240hz with ELMB OFF!, almost like on ELMB at 240hz! :o

So... even if I play around 160~fps you suggest to always use 280 HZ with 80 overdrive? for best compromise? we talking here about competive fps shooter games. I do not think I need ELMB with 280hz, elmb shows visible ghosting on ufo's test, which I didn't see them without ELMB, and the motion blur was still fine.

I checked the review of that asus at tftcentral and I can see that 240 Hz/80 OD is 3.6(avg) response time with less overshoots vs 280 HZ/80 OD = 4.0ms (avg), but much more overshoots over here. But you have best motion blur on 280Hz though.
I think 280/80 is best for 200+ fps games and for less than 200 fps 240/80 - what do you think?

What about g-sync to minimize overtshoots due to too much OD, does it help?
I believe for games where I can get easy 200+ fps I could even maybe use 100 OD, the overshoots would might look similar to OD 80 at 160~fps.

What's your opinion about using 270HZ instead of 280Hz? Maybe it will be best compromise with 80 OD (better response time which I believe should be top1 to focus in competive fps games).

Also here is the photo of my VG259QM in absolute dark room, I actually do not notice this IPS glow if I use my desktop normally, or in games, I was actually suprised that there is some a little ips glow on the right side (only after I made this photo), you can compare it with your VG279QM, personally I would change it for new model if I were you

Im happy with mine :D

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 10 Apr 2020, 18:08

lol it's the SAME PANEL dude just different overdrive implementation and tbh, the differences in average g2g response times maybe based on panel variance. Surprised you're not taking advantage of the asus unique features of elmb-sync and and 280hz refresh rate.

When i used those UFO tests on my vg279qm, yes there was trailing but the clarity of the UFO is much more clear and less blurry. I would trade better motion clarity of a fast moving object WITH trailing artifacts than as a more BLURRY yet no trailing artifacts any day of the week.

At 240hz, it's really really hard to see those artifacts anyway compared to 144hz or 60hz. keep in mind, it's refreshing at 4.17ms which is imperceptible.

the only differences is the MSi has a 10 bit wide gamut w/ slightly faster g2g average due to better implementation of its THREE overdrive settings, and the asus has +40hz refresh rate+elmb-sync.

not gonna lie, i was gonna keep my asus but i HAD to return it because it had 1 dead pixel and i couldn't live with that. So i RMA'd it thruogh amazon UPS and unfortunately DUE to COVID-19 delays*some jerkoff was selling the Asus for $600 new), the only monitor that was available was the MSI. If it wasn't for that 1 dead pixel, i would've kept it tbh.

i remember last year it was the Asus TUF VG27AQ vs the LG nano 27GL850-b. The LG nano had a wide gamut w/ faster response time for an IPS, but the TUF had ELMB-SYNC which trivializes the LG's low g2g average. At the end of the day, it's a matter of preference. I like my 10 bit colors because i want to uphold the luxury of owning an IPS. Response time speed at the highest refresh rates is extremely imperceptible , but a wide gamut is noticeable. Everyoene has different preferences. I do however miss ELMB-Sync, it was fun demolishing those G-sync variable overdrive TN users.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 10 Apr 2020, 18:16

tbh , u shouuld consider turning off any form of adaptive sync unless u plan to strobe the backlight with elmb-sync.

Tearing at super high refresh rate is nearly imperceptible especially at 280hz.

All of the rocket league pros cap the frame rate and turn off any form of adaptive sync or VRR. Their season is because they want to keep input lag as little as possible. With the asus, because it's at a ridiculous refresh rate, even if VRR is off, u won't even notice any tearing or stutters. However, i like the feeling of a buttery smooth no tear experience so i usually leave freesync on. I'm big on visuals. If u want performance, i suggest u dont' use adaptive sync and just cap out the frame rate(turn off max frame rate)

also at 280hz, i'm fairly confident the asus is future proofed. Sure, other IPS monitors can go up to 280hz, but they won't have ELMB-SYNC. Hell, even a G-sync hardware 240hz IPS monitor still won't have the same motion clarity if backlight strobing is on(ELMB-SYNC).

at the end of the day, IT'S THE SAME PANEL w/ different features so there's really no need to change if u already own one or the other. I'm sure the differences are nothing but panel variance.