IPS 240hz -> Acer Predator XB253QGXbmiiprzx ??

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
STOPchris

Re: IPS 240hz -> Acer Predator XB253QGXbmiiprzx ??

Post by STOPchris » 30 May 2020, 13:36

ballzley wrote:
29 May 2020, 23:36
STOPchris wrote:
29 May 2020, 13:47
One problem with this monitor so far for me. The displayport will not work in my bios without enabling CSM (compatibility mode) in the bios. HDMI works fine though. Not sure why this is, but it is a negative for me. All of my previous Asus monitors worked fine in UEFI mode and displayport. I don't think it will be a big issue, as HDMI transmits the 240Hz 1920x1080 signal just fine. I would rather be using displayport though. When I tried it in legacy mode (CSM enabled), my sound card had issues with not initializing at boot.

I guess this is sort of a positive for people wanting to use HDMI with this monitor. HDMI is working with all of the full features of the monitor, unlike the PG258Q that did not run at 240Hz through HDMI.

EDIT: I just found out that HDMI on this monitor does not work with Gsync... Frustrating. This might end up being the catalyst that ends up in a refund.
Thanks for reply. If this monitor support FreeSync, I'm in for one!

Why would you not want to have CSM in BIOS/UEFI?

If DP works fine, why would you want the HDMI G-sync support??
Displayport isn't working fine. If I have to enable legacy mode for modern tech to work, that means that it is not working fine. The issue is like I said, it can cause other compatibility issues with other devices to have CSM enabled (as ironically as this sounds). My attempt to workaround this issue was using the HDMI port. This actually does work for the monitor resolution and refresh rate (did not with older monitors), but Gsync does not work through HDMI with this monitor.

Also, one of my concerns before buying this monitor was if it supported Freesync. I posted this concern in another thread here that never got replied to AND over on the Acer forums where it never got replied to either. One of the biggest issues that I have had with both Asus and Acer is their lack of support/responsiveness on their forums and terrible customer service that read generic answers when you contact them. In the end, I have never used Freesync so I probably won't ever need it. However, wouldn't Acer have put a stamp on the box saying "Freesync support" or something to that effect? I kind of feel that the lack of Freesync marketing tells me that there is an issue with Freesync and this monitor that Acer is not being clear with.

STOPchris

Post by STOPchris » 30 May 2020, 13:41

japle wrote:
30 May 2020, 10:15
STOPchris wrote:
29 May 2020, 13:47
One problem with this monitor so far for me. The displayport will not work in my bios without enabling CSM (compatibility mode) in the bios.
Just a heads up for anybody reading this, I've got the Nitro XV253QX and BIOS is working just fine over displayport, CSM disabled. Motherboard is MSI B450 A Pro.
This is for sure good to know. I hadn't even heard of this monitor. Is there a big difference between the XV253QX and the XB253Q GX? I went and read a press release and it looks like the same monitor... Even the picture looks the same. This is the problem that I have with the computer monitor industry, over saturation of products.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 30 May 2020, 16:33

ALL of the 240hz IPS acer clones are the same AU Optronics panel> The origin are the XB3 models.

Same bezel except it says "predator" if its a predator panel or "acer" if it's a nitro panel. They all came out at the same time.

the xb253q gx is just the sister AHVA panel. But the OD tuning is all the same(extreme is unplayable, Normal is the only optimal OD setting)

The only difference is that the Nitro has "ultra low latency" feature, whereas the predator has a saturation feature,

all of them have very low inptu lag. Lower than any 240hz ips monitor. It was like playing offline even when i was logged in. These panels dont' have any processing delays.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 30 May 2020, 16:33

ALL of the 240hz IPS acer clones are the same AU Optronics panel> The origin are the XB3 models.

Same bezel except it says "predator" if its a predator panel or "acer" if it's a nitro panel. They all came out at the same time.(Nov 2019)

the xb253q gx is just the sister AHVA panel. But the OD tuning is all the same(extreme is unplayable, Normal is the only optimal OD setting)

The only difference is that the Nitro has "ultra low latency" feature, whereas the predator has a saturation feature,

all of them have very low input lag and a mid 4ms g2g pixel response time(LG 27gl850-b range which is sstill faster th an 99% of IPS monitors).

the 25" xb253q gx from what i remembered had the lowest input lag out of ALL the 240hz IPS monitors that i've tested. Even at 60hz, the latency is actually top notch. Unlike the asus 280hz monitors

STOPchris

Post by STOPchris » 30 May 2020, 17:15

RLCScontender wrote:
30 May 2020, 16:33

Same bezel except it says "predator" if its a predator panel or "acer" if it's a nitro panel. They all came out at the same time.

all of them have very low inptu lag. Lower than any 240hz ips monitor. It was like playing offline even when i was logged in. These panels dont' have any processing delays.
The XB253Q GX also has the ultra low latency setting. It is turned on by default if "adaptive sync" is also on. I'm not sure why anyone would not want this setting on? Maybe, I'll check some reviews for the XV253QX. I am really curious to see what professional reviewers are saying about blur and input lag on the XB253Q GX. I have a feeling that the blur is worse than my PG258Q, but better or on par with the PG279Q. Input lag feels low. I really need to just keep using this for a while and then jump back over to the PG279Q and see how it feels. The PG279Q always felt like it had less input lag than the PG258Q, and TFT Central confirmed that it does in-fact have lower input lag. I would like to know where the XB253Q GX sits.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 30 May 2020, 21:16

^
^

THEY ARE ALL THE SAME PANEL AUO, and the OD tuning is also the same. All of the acer clones are the same panel of each other. Released the same date, some areas in the world more than others. That review you saw on acer nitro xbx273? it SHOULD be the same or very very simlar to any other acer 240hz IPS panel(predator included) and any difference in response times are most likely panel variance. The only noticeable difference is the TN XN253x. Other than that, the acer 240hz ips clones have basically the same response times and optimal OD settings. (roughly 4.5ms or as quick as the LG 27gl850-b).

also, i never use any form of adaptive sync on my 240hz ips monitor. it adds input lag and it's not worth the "tearing" that dissipates so fast that I myself cannot even see any if the framerate is 240hz and above.

the ultra low latency option only works if adaptive sync is on? then in my opinion, it's not worth turning on. Input lag is very noticeable if adaptive sync is on, at least for me since i play a dexterity heavy game(rocket league). Also if the FPS exceed 240hz, u won't benefit from the reduced input lag if the FPS is higher than 240hz so it's kinda an oxymoron at that point.

Generally speaking, i really don't recommend Acer since they have one of the worst quality control out of the companies. THeir panels are nice looking, but

STOPchris

Post by STOPchris » 30 May 2020, 23:05

RLCScontender wrote:
30 May 2020, 21:16
^
^

THEY ARE ALL THE SAME PANEL AUO, and the OD tuning is also the same. All of the acer clones are the same panel of each other. Released the same date, some areas in the world more than others. That review you saw on acer nitro xbx273? it SHOULD be the same or very very simlar to any other acer 240hz IPS panel(predator included) and any difference in response times are most likely panel variance. The only noticeable difference is the TN XN253x. Other than that, the acer 240hz ips clones have basically the same response times and optimal OD settings. (roughly 4.5ms or as quick as the LG 27gl850-b).

also, i never use any form of adaptive sync on my 240hz ips monitor. it adds input lag and it's not worth the "tearing" that dissipates so fast that I myself cannot even see any if the framerate is 240hz and above.

the ultra low latency option only works if adaptive sync is on? then in my opinion, it's not worth turning on. Input lag is very noticeable if adaptive sync is on, at least for me since i play a dexterity heavy game(rocket league). Also if the FPS exceed 240hz, u won't benefit from the reduced input lag if the FPS is higher than 240hz so it's kinda an oxymoron at that point.

Generally speaking, i really don't recommend Acer since they have one of the worst quality control out of the companies. THeir panels are nice looking, but
No, the ultra low input lag setting is LOCKED to on when adaptive sync is on. It can be turned off and on when adaptive sync is off.

The review that I linked is actually the one that I used to decide to buy the XB253Q GX, assuming that they were very similar panels. I am still waiting for a proper review though, but from my non-expert testing the XB253Q GX does have VERY low input lag and the motion blur is low as well.

The Acer monitors that I have owned so far, two, have had no QC issues. With Asus, I ALWAYS have to send at least one back. Then again, Asus is using Acer panels.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 31 May 2020, 02:50

i agree, the 240hz Acer panels are quite good especially the xb253q gx. The XB3 monitors is actually the exception to Acer's negative reputation of having low quality products

Rtings did a review of the acer nitro and it's probably one of their most accurate reviews. The contrast ratios, viewing angles, and one of the best input lag monitors out there.

If youa ren't seeing reviews for your panel, i would just read up on the acer nitro reviews. It's basically the same exact panel and the OD tuning is the same(with extreme having too much overshoot to work with). They all came out the same time as well, but the nitro came out first in the united states.

STOPchris

Post by STOPchris » 31 May 2020, 13:11

RLCScontender wrote:
31 May 2020, 02:50
i agree, the 240hz Acer panels are quite good especially the xb253q gx. The XB3 monitors is actually the exception to Acer's negative reputation of having low quality products

Rtings did a review of the acer nitro and it's probably one of their most accurate reviews. The contrast ratios, viewing angles, and one of the best input lag monitors out there.

If youa ren't seeing reviews for your panel, i would just read up on the acer nitro reviews. It's basically the same exact panel and the OD tuning is the same(with extreme having too much overshoot to work with). They all came out the same time as well, but the nitro came out first in the united states.
Quite amazing really, considering where monitors where several years ago. I remember when the first TN 120Hz panel came out. IPS panels had 14ms response times and 60Hz. We finally have really fast 240Hz IPS panels, a dream come true really.

vlkfree

Post by vlkfree » 31 May 2020, 18:30

RLCScontender wrote:
31 May 2020, 02:50

what a joke
remember when you was spitting on the 240hz acer ips