IPS 240hz -> Acer Predator XB253QGXbmiiprzx ??

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Stevie66

Re: IPS 240hz -> Acer Predator XB253QGXbmiiprzx ??

Post by Stevie66 » 10 Oct 2020, 18:21

STOPchris wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 18:16
Stevie66 wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 17:03
STOPchris wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 16:55
Stevie66 wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 15:52

I heard someone else mention this issue too, no idea why they lock the overdrive at such a bad setting on this monitor with adaptive sync on while the other 1080p/240 monitors still let you choose a setting that works pretty well across all hz. Or it could be that the OD settings just aren't tuned well and Normal is just plain bad at 144 and lower.

Does the variable overdrive still work on Gsync module monitors when you have Gsync disabled?
You wouldn't see this issue, as the refresh rate would always be at the refresh rate that you set. You only start to see the overshoot problem when the refresh rate is changing with Adaptive Sync turned on.

With the XB253Q, it for sure doesn't not have variable overdrive because there is some significant overshoot at lower refresh rates. You don't even have to have Adaptive Sync enabled to see this, just go change your refresh rate to anything lower than 240Hz and you will start to see the overshoot.

BTW, I never see this issue on my XB253Q because I never use Adaptive Sync... Honestly, I never felt the need to use it. It really doesn't make that much of a difference, if any at all, with a 240Hz monitor. The frames per second are pretty much always under the refresh rate and I haven't noticed any stuttering from frame rates dropping either.

I've come to the point where I really believe that Gysnc has always been ANOTHER Nvidia gimmick to sell more products. They've done this for years with one new "feature" or "product" or another. Yes, many people will follow up and tell me that I am wrong... Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
"You wouldn't see this issue, as the refresh rate would always be at the refresh rate that you set. You only start to see the overshoot problem when the refresh rate is changing with Adaptive Sync turned on."
I mean on a monitor with the Gsync Module, it has variable overdrive, so does that work with Gsync(adaptive sync) enabled and disabled? or just enabled? I know the newest Gsync modules support Freesync so would a AMD GPU then get the benefits of variable overdrive too?
It doesn't work with Adaptive Sync at all. I don't know if it works with Freesync on native Gsync module monitors, but I would guess the answer is no. I believe this is a Gsync feature only, Gsync module feature only (not Gsync compatible).
Gsync is a form of adaptive sync though. So Gsync on it should use variable overdrive, then Gsync off it doesn't use variable overdrive anymore?

STOPchris

Post by STOPchris » 10 Oct 2020, 21:33

Stevie66 wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 18:21
STOPchris wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 18:16
Stevie66 wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 17:03
STOPchris wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 16:55

You wouldn't see this issue, as the refresh rate would always be at the refresh rate that you set. You only start to see the overshoot problem when the refresh rate is changing with Adaptive Sync turned on.

With the XB253Q, it for sure doesn't not have variable overdrive because there is some significant overshoot at lower refresh rates. You don't even have to have Adaptive Sync enabled to see this, just go change your refresh rate to anything lower than 240Hz and you will start to see the overshoot.

BTW, I never see this issue on my XB253Q because I never use Adaptive Sync... Honestly, I never felt the need to use it. It really doesn't make that much of a difference, if any at all, with a 240Hz monitor. The frames per second are pretty much always under the refresh rate and I haven't noticed any stuttering from frame rates dropping either.

I've come to the point where I really believe that Gysnc has always been ANOTHER Nvidia gimmick to sell more products. They've done this for years with one new "feature" or "product" or another. Yes, many people will follow up and tell me that I am wrong... Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
"You wouldn't see this issue, as the refresh rate would always be at the refresh rate that you set. You only start to see the overshoot problem when the refresh rate is changing with Adaptive Sync turned on."
I mean on a monitor with the Gsync Module, it has variable overdrive, so does that work with Gsync(adaptive sync) enabled and disabled? or just enabled? I know the newest Gsync modules support Freesync so would a AMD GPU then get the benefits of variable overdrive too?
It doesn't work with Adaptive Sync at all. I don't know if it works with Freesync on native Gsync module monitors, but I would guess the answer is no. I believe this is a Gsync feature only, Gsync module feature only (not Gsync compatible).
Gsync is a form of adaptive sync though. So Gsync on it should use variable overdrive, then Gsync off it doesn't use variable overdrive anymore?
I literally already gave you the answer.

kolibruk

Post by kolibruk » 14 Oct 2020, 18:52

Hi guys. Recently I have bought vg252qxbmiipx and I have a problem with it.
At first, it was working on 60Hz because I was not able to set 240Hz without the latest Nvidia drivers. And I realized that on 60Hz on videos where the camera dynamically moves, the monitor has issues with strobing (?). The image was laggy, not smooth at all and it was a pain for eyes to focus on the screen.
On 120Hz videos goes much smoother, but still not perfect in comparison with my old 60Hz monitor.
On 240Hz it performs not as bad as at 60Hz but looks worse than on 120Hz. In CS GO on 240Hz everything is fine.
On the internet, I have found the only guy with the exact same problem and the seller told him it's a monitor defect.

Is it normal or it's a monitor issue or I just have to adjust settings?

GPU: 1650 super connected via 1.2 DP

Starts at 5:10
Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un1yKy_ ... 0%B8%D1%87

Thanks

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 15 Oct 2020, 11:03

kolibruk wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 18:52
Hi guys. Recently I have bought vg252qxbmiipx and I have a problem with it.
At first, it was working on 60Hz because I was not able to set 240Hz without the latest Nvidia drivers. And I realized that on 60Hz on videos where the camera dynamically moves, the monitor has issues with strobing (?). The image was laggy, not smooth at all and it was a pain for eyes to focus on the screen.
These artifacts are part of the video. You can go through it frame by frame with the "." key after pausing it. Some parts of the video are 30FPS, not 60, with a weird frame blend going on.

Your monitor is fine.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

STOPchris

Post by STOPchris » 03 Nov 2020, 16:49

Not sure why, but simply playing the Resident Evil 3 remake will trigger the image retention issue. I'm thinking about just going back to TN for my 240hz needs, maybe the Omen x27. Not sure that I'll even bother with Acer customer service. Their customer service is incompetent and worthless.

STOPchris

Post by STOPchris » 26 Nov 2020, 15:37

If you turn on "super sharpness" in the monitor's settings, the issue seems to go away. Not really the best solution, as now everything is super sharp... The monitor is a lemon. I might have to just bite the bullet and by a better/different monitor. What a joke, I am not happy with Acer at all over this and their support is garbage.

TTT

Post by TTT » 13 Jan 2021, 11:55

So I was just playing Cold War on my XB253 and noticed the whole screen was full of verticle lines and the screen looked like it was flickering a bit...

Minimized to a complete image retention of Cold War on my screen.

STOPchris

Post by STOPchris » 13 Jan 2021, 15:13

TTT wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 11:55
So I was just playing Cold War on my XB253 and noticed the whole screen was full of verticle lines and the screen looked like it was flickering a bit...

You can lower black boost, doesn't have to be 0, and it should not have this issue anymore. I lowered it to 4 on mine and haven't seen this issue in weeks. Not a great solution, but it works.

TTT

Post by TTT » 13 Jan 2021, 16:36

STOPchris wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 15:13
TTT wrote:

You can lower black boost, doesn't have to be 0, and it should not have this issue anymore. I lowered it to 4 on mine and haven't seen this issue in weeks. Not a great solution, but it works.
Black boost was on 10. :lol:

STOPchris

Post by STOPchris » 14 Jan 2021, 20:15

TTT wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 16:36
STOPchris wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 15:13
TTT wrote:

Black boost was on 10. :lol:
Try it lower than 5. This monitor is a lemon for sure, but it seems that you can at least get it to be useful by lowering the black boost. The other REALLY sad part about this monitor is the Gsync. With Gsync on, the overshoot is so strong at lower FPS that it is unusable. I tested it in Assassin's Creed Vahalla, where the FPS is in the 80-90 range. The overshoot was REALLY bad.