IPS 240hz -> Acer Predator XB253QGXbmiiprzx ??

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
axaro1

Re: IPS 240hz -> Acer Predator XB253QGXbmiiprzx ??

Post by axaro1 » 04 Sep 2020, 03:22

Stevie66 wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 21:47
It's strange, I see people here and on Reddit talk about the image retention or burn-in(which it is not) with the AU Optronics 25" panels but only speak about the Alienware, Acer and MSI and not the Asus. But the issue seems to be with certain patterns of colour or something, I can look at a "problematic" image and lower my contrast and I get the image retention vertical lines at a certain level but if I go above that contrast level the image goes back to normal right away, very odd.
Also those image retention testing sites don't trigger it at all. I'm guessing everyone has the issue with these monitors they just aren't on the right colour profile or looking at the right image to trigger it, or a lot of these panels are actually just faulty.
Also I never seen one post about the VG259QM having this issue, same panel as the others? Maybe just not as popular of a buy? but seems like a lot are sold on Amazon etc.
Yes, you can get burn in on the VG259QM (Every single 240hz IPS panel has the exact same panel), but it only happens if you run an UFotest for something like 5 minutes and it tends to disappear very fast.
Ufotest and Frog Pursuit are the only two things that seem to trigger it, even if I play Overwatch with a huge green or white crosshair for multiple hours I don't get any image retention in the center of the screen, it's the same for the Windows 10 Taskbar, it doesn't retain static images, it only seems to retain repetitive moving images.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 04 Sep 2020, 10:56

axaro1 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 03:22
Stevie66 wrote:
It's strange, I see people here and on Reddit talk about the image retention or burn-in(which it is not) with the AU Optronics 25" panels but only speak about the Alienware, Acer and MSI and not the Asus. But the issue seems to be with certain patterns of colour or something, I can look at a "problematic" image and lower my contrast and I get the image retention vertical lines at a certain level but if I go above that contrast level the image goes back to normal right away, very odd.
Also those image retention testing sites don't trigger it at all. I'm guessing everyone has the issue with these monitors they just aren't on the right colour profile or looking at the right image to trigger it, or a lot of these panels are actually just faulty.
Also I never seen one post about the VG259QM having this issue, same panel as the others? Maybe just not as popular of a buy? but seems like a lot are sold on Amazon etc.
Yes, you can get burn in on the VG259QM (Every single 240hz IPS panel has the exact same panel), but it only happens if you run an UFotest for something like 5 minutes and it tends to disappear very fast.
Ufotest and Frog Pursuit are the only two things that seem to trigger it, even if I play Overwatch with a huge green or white crosshair for multiple hours I don't get any image retention in the center of the screen, it's the same for the Windows 10 Taskbar, it doesn't retain static images, it only seems to retain repetitive moving images.
Well that "burn-in" I got that I can trigger with certain images I can see the old image on grey backgrounds but once I change the contrast one click up or down, boom it's 100% gone, when I change it back to the contrast I was on it's back. Guess it's not the typical image retention but it's what other people on this site and Reddit got with vertical lines down the screen triggered by images etc, guess they are called inversion artifacts what I'm talking about then and not image retention.
I wonder if the 27" has this issue too like the XB273

purplew

Post by purplew » 05 Sep 2020, 01:35

Stevie66 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 10:56
axaro1 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 03:22
Stevie66 wrote:
Well that "burn-in" I got that I can trigger with certain images I can see the old image on grey backgrounds but once I change the contrast one click up or down, boom it's 100% gone, when I change it back to the contrast I was on it's back. Guess it's not the typical image retention but it's what other people on this site and Reddit got with vertical lines down the screen triggered by images etc, guess they are called inversion artifacts what I'm talking about then and not image retention.
I wonder if the 27" has this issue too like the XB273
that's not inversion artifacts, inversion artifacts = coronas which you get from fast motion. your issue is the defect from 240hz 24'' Optronics where the image becomes "burnt -in" from static images and once you change contrast or color profiles, boom it's gone. everyone i've read who has this issue usually asks for an exchange or return

Hadoukentoyourfaise

Post by Hadoukentoyourfaise » 13 Sep 2020, 12:55

Just got this monitor and I must say, the low input lag is real. Feels super snappy.

Just one issue. Whenever I turn on adaptive sync (Freesync in my instance), while the overdrive setting is greyed out and set to "normal", in reality it's functioning close to "extreme", with pretty bad inverse ghosting at lower FPSs. Is this the case with anyone else? And is there any way to turn overdrive off when adaptive sync is off? Thanks.

STOPchris

Post by STOPchris » 10 Oct 2020, 13:27

Does this monitor have quantum dots? I feel like it does. Whenever I jump between my PG279Q and this monitor, the colors all look deeper and better. Especially the dark colors. The funny thing is, the whites are still really bright. The contrast ratio on both are very similar, but the colors just look better on the XB253Q. If you look at the features on Acer's website, it is just general to the XB3 lineup, so it is hard to tell if this particular monitor has quantum dot technology. However, it is the only difference that I can tell between my two monitor that would cause the colors to look better.

STOPchris

Post by STOPchris » 10 Oct 2020, 13:41

Hadoukentoyourfaise wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 12:55
Just got this monitor and I must say, the low input lag is real. Feels super snappy.

Just one issue. Whenever I turn on adaptive sync (Freesync in my instance), while the overdrive setting is greyed out and set to "normal", in reality it's functioning close to "extreme", with pretty bad inverse ghosting at lower FPSs. Is this the case with anyone else? And is there any way to turn overdrive off when adaptive sync is off? Thanks.
This is the main difference between Adaptive Sync and a native Gsync module (well, main difference for me). The native Gsync module will change the screen's overdrive setting to compensate for a lower refresh rate. An Adaptive Sync monitor will leave the setting at the same setting that you selected. The problem is, and why Gsync changes the overdrive setting, is because at different refresh rates the calibrated overdrive setting behaves differently.

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 10 Oct 2020, 15:52

I heard someone else mention this issue too, no idea why they lock the overdrive at such a bad setting on this monitor with adaptive sync on while the other 1080p/240 monitors still let you choose a setting that works pretty well across all hz. Or it could be that the OD settings just aren't tuned well and Normal is just plain bad at 144 and lower.
STOPchris wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 13:41

This is the main difference between Adaptive Sync and a native Gsync module (well, main difference for me). The native Gsync module will change the screen's overdrive setting to compensate for a lower refresh rate. An Adaptive Sync monitor will leave the setting at the same setting that you selected. The problem is, and why Gsync changes the overdrive setting, is because at different refresh rates the calibrated overdrive setting behaves differently.
Does the variable overdrive still work on Gsync module monitors when you have Gsync disabled?
Last edited by Stevie66 on 10 Oct 2020, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

STOPchris

Post by STOPchris » 10 Oct 2020, 16:55

Stevie66 wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 15:52

I heard someone else mention this issue too, no idea why they lock the overdrive at such a bad setting on this monitor with adaptive sync on while the other 1080p/240 monitors still let you choose a setting that works pretty well across all hz. Or it could be that the OD settings just aren't tuned well and Normal is just plain bad at 144 and lower.
STOPchris wrote:

Does the variable overdrive still work on Gsync module monitors when you have Gsync disabled?
You wouldn't see this issue, as the refresh rate would always be at the refresh rate that you set. You only start to see the overshoot problem when the refresh rate is changing with Adaptive Sync turned on.

With the XB253Q, it for sure doesn't not have variable overdrive because there is some significant overshoot at lower refresh rates. You don't even have to have Adaptive Sync enabled to see this, just go change your refresh rate to anything lower than 240Hz and you will start to see the overshoot.

BTW, I never see this issue on my XB253Q because I never use Adaptive Sync... Honestly, I never felt the need to use it. It really doesn't make that much of a difference, if any at all, with a 240Hz monitor. The frames per second are pretty much always under the refresh rate and I haven't noticed any stuttering from frame rates dropping either.

I've come to the point where I really believe that Gysnc has always been ANOTHER Nvidia gimmick to sell more products. They've done this for years with one new "feature" or "product" or another. Yes, many people will follow up and tell me that I am wrong... Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 10 Oct 2020, 17:03

STOPchris wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 16:55
Stevie66 wrote:

STOPchris wrote:

You wouldn't see this issue, as the refresh rate would always be at the refresh rate that you set. You only start to see the overshoot problem when the refresh rate is changing with Adaptive Sync turned on.

With the XB253Q, it for sure doesn't not have variable overdrive because there is some significant overshoot at lower refresh rates. You don't even have to have Adaptive Sync enabled to see this, just go change your refresh rate to anything lower than 240Hz and you will start to see the overshoot.

BTW, I never see this issue on my XB253Q because I never use Adaptive Sync... Honestly, I never felt the need to use it. It really doesn't make that much of a difference, if any at all, with a 240Hz monitor. The frames per second are pretty much always under the refresh rate and I haven't noticed any stuttering from frame rates dropping either.

I've come to the point where I really believe that Gysnc has always been ANOTHER Nvidia gimmick to sell more products. They've done this for years with one new "feature" or "product" or another. Yes, many people will follow up and tell me that I am wrong... Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
"You wouldn't see this issue, as the refresh rate would always be at the refresh rate that you set. You only start to see the overshoot problem when the refresh rate is changing with Adaptive Sync turned on."
I mean on a monitor with the Gsync Module, it has variable overdrive, so does that work with Gsync(adaptive sync) enabled and disabled? or just enabled? I know the newest Gsync modules support Freesync so would a AMD GPU then get the benefits of variable overdrive too?

STOPchris

Post by STOPchris » 10 Oct 2020, 18:16

Stevie66 wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 17:03
STOPchris wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 16:55
Stevie66 wrote:

STOPchris wrote:

"You wouldn't see this issue, as the refresh rate would always be at the refresh rate that you set. You only start to see the overshoot problem when the refresh rate is changing with Adaptive Sync turned on."
I mean on a monitor with the Gsync Module, it has variable overdrive, so does that work with Gsync(adaptive sync) enabled and disabled? or just enabled? I know the newest Gsync modules support Freesync so would a AMD GPU then get the benefits of variable overdrive too?
It doesn't work with Adaptive Sync at all. I don't know if it works with Freesync on native Gsync module monitors, but I would guess the answer is no. I believe this is a Gsync feature only, Gsync module feature only (not Gsync compatible).