05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
RLCSContender*

Re: 04/18/2020. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by RLCSContender* » 30 Apr 2020, 22:24

jnashville wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 20:09
my 25 inch vg259qm has very good uniformity and no back light bleed. tested on a black background with my cursor on.

i guess your vg279qm is just panel lottery. u are unlucky.

bud, your monitor is off.

also, via my camera, BLB is more obvious to see compared to the naked eye. But the bad color uniformiuty is undeniably bad. It seemes as if the monitor has that golden/yellowish tint to it at all times(it's very noticeable on a white background). I tried switching the color temperature to "cool" but it really doesn't work.

It's just the way the monitor is i guess. Whenever i don' get scammed by the "amazon renewed" and get a new vg279qm, i'll report back to you and perhaps use an ICC profile that reduces the yellowish/brown tint on the screen.

Also, that yellowish/brown tint amplify the individual pixels and backlight bleed making it have a grainy look.

xxxtinct

Re: 04/18/2020. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by xxxtinct » 30 Apr 2020, 22:47

Well, this thread convinced me to go ahead with the 251RX and return my 272QR, I've never tasted a true IPS monitor so this should be an interesting switch, hopefully the speedier responses and higher refresh makes going back to 1080p worth it. RCLScontender, I'd love to DM with you to discuss the best configurations for minimal lag and blur/ghosting. Thank you for this long-winded study and all your dedication.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 01 May 2020, 06:30

xxxtinct wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 22:47
Well, this thread convinced me to go ahead with the 251RX and return my 272QR, I've never tasted a true IPS monitor so this should be an interesting switch, hopefully the speedier responses and higher refresh makes going back to 1080p worth it. RCLScontender, I'd love to DM with you to discuss the best configurations for minimal lag and blur/ghosting. Thank you for this long-winded study and all your dedication.
the input lag is so low, that not even the G-sync NANO IPS that is communicating directly to my GPU(which also decreases input lag) obviously had more input lag . Keep in mind, early transitions have a 10% error rate, so you might see a very subtle blue blow every now and then, but for the most part, on its fastest overdrive setting at 240hz, it's very difficult to notice it. a 3% error rate(rate of overshoot) and 95% refrehs rate compliance(which basically have no smearing), it's fastest overdrive is finely tuned at 240rhz, 165hz, 144hz, 120hz, and 60hz. Hardware unboxed claimed that at 144hz, there's a 24% overshoot rate on its "faster" overdrive, i personally didn't see it. If that bothers you, then switch down to "fast" and the response timew ill drop from 3ms to 4.5ms but it won't have overshoot. 4.5ms is literally just as fast as the LG nano

if you can snag one, get it.I'll PM you the SRGB ICC profile, instructors on how to increase the brightness if you want to use motion blur reduction,

i'm still trying to do research on the Nitro series and why their type of AHVA is much slower than the MSI or asus

jnashville

Post by jnashville » 01 May 2020, 06:44

RLCScontender wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 22:24
jnashville wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 20:09
my 25 inch vg259qm has very good uniformity and no back light bleed. tested on a black background with my cursor on.

i guess your vg279qm is just panel lottery. u are unlucky.

bud, your monitor is off.

also, via my camera, BLB is more obvious to see compared to the naked eye. But the bad color uniformiuty is undeniably bad. It seemes as if the monitor has that golden/yellowish tint to it at all times(it's very noticeable on a white background). I tried switching the color temperature to "cool" but it really doesn't work.

It's just the way the monitor is i guess. Whenever i don' get scammed by the "amazon renewed" and get a new vg279qm, i'll report back to you and perhaps use an ICC profile that reduces the yellowish/brown tint on the screen.

Also, that yellowish/brown tint amplify the individual pixels and backlight bleed making it have a grainy look.
Huh?

What do u mean my monitor is off? My cursor is there on screen. Did you say a typo that it is off or u need spectacles haha..

I use a backlight bleed website that generate a black background. What do u mean monitor is off. Omg ahha.. the cursor is there. Please open your eyes clearly ya.

I am using the 25inch variant, vg259qm.

It is possible you are just unlucky getting a bad display. Panel lottery u know what I mean?

xxxtinct

Post by xxxtinct » 01 May 2020, 07:23

RLCScontender wrote:
01 May 2020, 06:30
xxxtinct wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 22:47
the input lag is so low, that not even the G-sync NANO IPS that is communicating directly to my GPU(which also decreases input lag) obviously had more input lag . Keep in mind, early transitions have a 10% error rate, so you might see a very subtle blue blow every now and then, but for the most part, on its fastest overdrive setting at 240hz, it's very difficult to notice it. a 3% error rate(rate of overshoot) and 95% refrehs rate compliance(which basically have no smearing), it's fastest overdrive is finely tuned at 240rhz, 165hz, 144hz, 120hz, and 60hz. Hardware unboxed claimed that at 144hz, there's a 24% overshoot rate on its "faster" overdrive, i personally didn't see it. If that bothers you, then switch down to "fast" and the response timew ill drop from 3ms to 4.5ms but it won't have overshoot. 4.5ms is literally just as fast as the LG nano

if you can snag one, get it.I'll PM you the SRGB ICC profile, instructors on how to increase the brightness if you want to use motion blur reduction,

i'm still trying to do research on the Nitro series and why their type of AHVA is much slower than the MSI or asus
I'd love to get that ICC profile, thanks very much.

They (251rx) went back in stock on Newegg last night so I pulled the trigger (numerous stockings from some sketchy Amazon shop for an extra $75 that I decided to skip as well, but thought I'd share anyways). Could you explain why i'm getting such terrible smearing on my 272QR? I had such high hopes, and it is a gorgeous monitor with great ergonomics, razor thin bezels and the neat OSD joystick, but the lag, blur and lack of motion clarity makes fast-paced gaming a struggle.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 May 2020, 11:43

Sensitivity to backlight bleed varies on a lot of factors

-- Vision sensitivity to dark
-- Brightness of ambient lighting, as brighter rooms hides BLB/etc better
-- Playing in a bright room versus dark room
-- Panel technology factors
-- Panel lottery factors
-- Even little things like whether you had LASIK surgery etc (which sometimes affects your sensitivity to dark colors)
-- Etc.

Multiple factors can simultaneously combine that BLB and/or IPS glow is not a problem for Person A, but a bigger problem for Person B.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 02 May 2020, 00:59

Zavon wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 16:51
RLCScontender wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 14:58
Guys, it's not the AHVA in which the alienware, MSI, 280hz asus comes in. It's the same exact panel as the acer nitro xv273 except with a predator logo on the bottom bezel. It's a 1st generation panel with g-sync hardware. I don't think the g-sync will make up for the 4.5-5ms g2g average it comes with

again, it's the same exact first generation monitor as the nitro xv273 monitor except with a "predator" logo instead of a "nitro" logo on the bottom bezel. These two monitors came out at the same time but the predator was only on sale on certain parts of europe.

so yes, u won't see much of a difference from the nitro xv273, outside of hardware g-sync(which u probably wont' even use if the framerate exceedds 240hz, i know i wont' since g-sync adds input lag and u also wont' get the added anti latency benefits if the framerate is above the refresh rate(the higher the FPS, the LESS latency you will have)

no, it's not 0.1, it's closer to 4.6-5.0ms like the nitro xv273(progbably slightly quicker thanks to variable overdrive). It's probably 0.1 on its fastest overdrive setting on its fastest transition with enormous overshoot.
I'd figure as much that it's the same panel considering we don't exactly have a large variety of 27 240hz IPS panels yet. I'll probably leave the order up anyways just so I have something to play with, and to see if I'm even comfortable using a 27 1080p monitor. At the very least, Amazon has a great return policy. I would hope Acer would use better binned panels for its Predator brand though. I doubt I'll be able to compare it side by side with the AW2521HF whenever it decides to come considering estimated arrival date is July 2nd, though Dell finally relisted it on their website and dates are June 24th for expedited shipping (lol).
same, on amazon they are backordered. It's been two days and i still havn't gotten a shipping date. I'm going to wait another two days, and if i dont' get a shipping date, then i'll find another monitor. They had the viewsonic/lg nano up for sale on their native p[rice of $500 and $600, but was sold out in just about 45 mins. Those monitors sell like hot cakes

what's with Acer namign their monitors with different letters? ALl of the acer predator/nitro variants are the same 1st generaion AHVA 240hz from AU optronics. it's all the same but acer has like 6-7 different combinations.(4k , 2k, 1080p(like 4 versions). I can only wonder how this is working for them. From what I hear, they really have bad quality control.

saw the vg279qm for $349.99 on the asus vg279qm "renewed" and play the panel lottery but nah, i give up THe monitor justhas poor quality control. A lot of my online competitive buddies on RL said that the yellow/gold tint is problematic and the backlight bleed amplify the gold tint giving it a grainy look. It's a fast monitor but browsing the internet, that yellow tint and brownish/grainy look amplifying the HUGE pixels on a 27" monitor annoy the hell out of me.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 02 May 2020, 01:04

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
01 May 2020, 11:43
Sensitivity to backlight bleed varies on a lot of factors

-- Vision sensitivity to dark
-- Brightness of ambient lighting, as brighter rooms hides BLB/etc better
-- Playing in a bright room versus dark room
-- Panel technology factors
-- Panel lottery factors
-- Even little things like whether you had LASIK surgery etc (which sometimes affects your sensitivity to dark colors)
-- Etc.

Multiple factors can simultaneously combine that BLB and/or IPS glow is not a problem for Person A, but a bigger problem for Person B.
yeah, there are plenty of variables that come into play when it comes to backlight bleed. Some people are more observant than others, but for me, i'm fairly OCD. if I watch a movie, and there's bad backlight bleed in trhe 3 or 4 corners, it's extremely distracting.

I had to return my nano ultrawide (34gk950f-b) because whenever i watch a movie on an odd angle, the backlight bleed will show even more(thus mitigating the good viewing angles of an IPS).

i'm generally forgiving about backlight bleed because it's inevitable(as long as it's not too bad, i'm fine with that). what i cannot stand are dead pixels. What is with amazon and their piss poor quality control? I saw like 4-5 dead pixels on the "renewed" vg279qm" despite the seller telling me "it's tested, cleaned, and fixed by a qualified amazon 3rd party affiliate,and there shouldn't be any dead pixels or bad backlight bleed"
low and behold, i did a dead pixel check and saw dead pixels throughout the monitor.

i'm not buying used because i can now see why the first owner returned it. Yet, the "resellers" FAIL to even fix it, they just resell it hoping someone who's ignorant about monitors will keep it

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 02 May 2020, 01:07

i probalby purchased around 12 monitors used/refurbed. 12/12 of them had a stuck/dead pixel

Those resellers are just hoping u won't catch it or hoping someone who's ignorant abou monitors wont' have a train of thought to even check or know what that is.

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 02 May 2020, 04:50

RLCScontender hope you don't mind if i repeat the question (in case you missed), and also:

- Did you have eye strain with any? (have you ever had eye strain in your life?, if not i guess you won't start now :D )

Thanks anyway ;) .

Previous question:
"Can i ask, as you have had all the models, which one has the best screen coating or what differences did you notice? (if you happen to have photos of all, i'd love to check them to see all on the same place).

Also, you talk about a "yellow tint", can you please explain that further? (I hate any kind of tint and can't understand why these have any, i mean, i have an "old" TV LG 32LD420 -not sure if is semi glossy or something- that, by looking at its side, is perfectly clean and clear, why can't we have these?).

Thanks in advance ;) ."