05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
RLCSContender*

Re: 04/18/2020. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by RLCSContender* » 11 May 2020, 22:50

axaro1 wrote:
07 May 2020, 03:48
I just ordered a VG259QM, I will receive this product in 1/2 weeks.
If you guys are interested I can make a couple of tests like Pursuit Ufo Test, 480fps slow motion footage(I generally use it to find the right fps cap to prevent microstutters), frog pursuit, ...
I can compare the clarity with my XG2402.

See if 80 OD works on 240hz without overshoot. Forii claims there's heavy overshoot at 80 OD on the 25" model.

RLCSContender*

Re: My subjective opinion/review about MSI MAG251RX. (Top1 240Hz IPS for sure)

Post by RLCSContender* » 12 May 2020, 00:13

i've ordered the acer predator xb273 x

240hz IPS monitor with real g-sync (not the **** g-sync compatible kind) AND HDMI-VRR(the first g-sync monitor to have HDMI-VRR)

i'm 99.99% certain it's the same exact panel as the Acer Nitro XV273x (they even share the same name except it's XV instead of XB), which means there are 3 overdrives. OFF, Normal, and Extreme. Extreme will have massive overshoot and "normal" is the one with 0 overshoot.

From my recollection, the Acer Nitro XV273x is among the slowest 240hz IPS panels since its "normal" overdrive has 0 overshoot but it's not taking advantage of a 3rd overdrive setting like the MSI and Asus. Rtings measured the Nitro being slower than the LG 27gl850 despite the LG being only a 144hz monitor

if this is true with the XB273x predator, i don't think variable overdrive would compensate for its slow response time of 5ms. "normal" overdrive just doesn't cut it. however, there's still a possiblity where its "extreme" overdrive won't have overshoot or will have slight overshoot but playable. i'm not optomistic when i receive this monitor next week.

All of these acer nitros/acer predators should all be similar in response times since it's the same panel. it's just a waste that it doesn't have that 3rd overdrive to have a good peak performance like the Asus or MSI

axaro1

Re: 04/18/2020. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by axaro1 » 12 May 2020, 03:03

RLCScontender wrote:
11 May 2020, 22:50
axaro1 wrote:
07 May 2020, 03:48
I just ordered a VG259QM, I will receive this product in 1/2 weeks.
If you guys are interested I can make a couple of tests like Pursuit Ufo Test, 480fps slow motion footage(I generally use it to find the right fps cap to prevent microstutters), frog pursuit, ...
I can compare the clarity with my XG2402.

See if 80 OD works on 240hz without overshoot. Forii claims there's heavy overshoot at 80 OD on the 25" model.
👍
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 12 May 2020, 14:22

phpBB [video]

wow, what a PERFECT match. My measurements are EXACTLY the same as what hardware unboxed measured when it comes to peak performance on their optimal overdrive settings between the MSI optix MAG251rx vs the Asus TUF VG279qm/vg259qm.

(although i was -0.1 off on the MSI's g2g measurement)

O_0 wow, 3.8ms g2g(which is closer to 4ms) for the Asus whereas the MSI is 3ms
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6611

RLCScontender » 10 Apr 2020, 07:20

Speed. The winner=VG279qm and it's also the fastest OVERALL monitor right now.

Both were so fast that my $80 budget Oscilloscope gave me inconsistent readings so I purchased another Oscilloscope off amazon that specializes in IPS/LED/LCD type monitors that is about $400. And the measurements were basically the same. 3.1 g2g average for the MSI and 3.8 for the Asus)I did 20 rise/fall with minimal error. The MSI wins in g2g average because the overdrive implementation was better implemented since they are only using 3, instead of 5 overdrive settings(asus). Then again, the whole purpose of g2g response times is to minimize motion blur and the asus has motio blur reduction while keeping adaptive sync capabilities.

Gideon

Post by Gideon » 13 May 2020, 16:54

God bless this thread. 1000000% what i was looking for =) I care about nice vivid and accurate color and overall a smooth gameplay. Ive been using a 2411z for the past 4 years or so and i love it. After tweaking the settings and finding a GREAT ICC the colors are very very good. It is time for something new, was tough to find a 2070 with DVI but finally got one. 24 is the perfect size for me, hoping for even better colors with IPS and finally some G-Sync which seems to be the dealbreaker here. I dont need the fastest, i wouldnt even need 240HZ, its mainly for games like AC Odyssey (around 80fps) and fps like CS. I WANT the alienware so bad, i like everything about it. But your post showed how bad GSync interacts with it. Usually my room is kind of dark, im worried about the IPS glow anyway, ppl saying how bad they perform in darker rooms. Therefore i want to get the most accurate color accuracy possible and ive read alot of posts about the Alienware having not the most vibrant colors more like a yellow green ish tone ... i feel like the MSI seems the one i should favor and i also like the design and all but its not available over here -_- So if you were to buy one not just for 200+ fps games and watching videos and spend alot of time infront ... which one felt the smoothest? If the Alienware has problems with Sync in the lower fps games, do i even benefit from the 240 hz or will it even hurt the picture quality and setting it to 144hz would be better? If you just felt a minor difference between the MSi, Alienware or Asus ill pick the Alienware, but idk it seems wrong somehow ..

Thanks for all your help and this thread!!!! With all the upcoming IPS 24 Monitors this is a HUGE help for every clueless guy like myself =))

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 13 May 2020, 23:30

Dark room? Avoid the alienware at all costs. It has the worst contrast ratio out of the 240hz bunch. Not only will u see greys as blacks, but the clouding washed out look of the monitor will amplify.

If u want decent contrast, the msi or the acer nitro/predator has good contrast.MSI has the highezt contrast ratio at 1200:1. Which ties the fi27q-p. The colors are vibrant as well.

If i were u, the MSI is a no brainer. Its the fastest 240hz ips monitor(tied with the alienware) but instead of 800:1 contrast, it has 1200:1 contrast. HDR isnt that bad on it.

G sync? Lmfao unless u intend to play games below the max refresh rate, TURN off any adaptive sync. The input lag isnt worth it. However, if u play a game where the fps is below 240hz, adaptive sync has its uses

I always turn off adaptive sync when i play competitive games. The added input lag and u wont benefit from lower input lag from FPS higher than the refresh rate.

Again, its up to u. I heard the acer predator is good too. Im testing the 27" gsync version this weekend. Stay tuned

dANii

Post by dANii » 14 May 2020, 02:44

I mainly play FPS games and I am really sensitive to motionblur/trail. The last time I tried an IPS, it was a no go. It just did not feel as snappy as a TN. You recommend the Asus for me? It's the only one in stock rightnow in my country.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 14 May 2020, 02:55

dANii wrote:
14 May 2020, 02:44
I mainly play FPS games and I am really sensitive to motionblur/trail. The last time I tried an IPS, it was a no go. It just did not feel as snappy as a TN. You recommend the Asus for me? It's the only one in stock rightnow in my country.
yes, the Asus VG279qm/vg259qm is in my opinion the best choice for high framerate FPS videogames. People might think they won't notice a difference overclocking to 280hz, but what they don't know is that if they put it side by side to a 240hz monitor, it's not difficult to tell which monitor is faster.

when it comes to MPRT and advantage against fast moving objects, the Asus hands down does the best job.MOreso if elmb-sync is on.
280hz ELMB-SYNC at high FPS has a major advantage on fast moving objects over TN regardless if that TN has a 1ms response time.

the crosstalk dissipates very quickly if the FPS is near the max refresh. Don't worry too much about it. Me personally, i never saw any crosstalk from 240hz and above. Crosstalk(dbl image) started to creep in(and yes, it was fairly obvious) at 165hz and below for me. I suggest you give it a try. If u don't like it, just return it. Most websites have a 30 day return window. Just makes sure when u open the box, don't throw anything away if in case u intend to return it in the future.

dANii

Post by dANii » 14 May 2020, 03:10

RLCScontender wrote:
14 May 2020, 02:55
dANii wrote:
yes, the Asus VG279qm/vg259qm is in my opinion the best choice for high framerate FPS videogames. People might think they won't notice a difference overclocking to 280hz, but what they don't know is that if they put it side by side to a 240hz monitor, it's not difficult to tell which monitor is faster.

when it comes to MPRT and advantage against fast moving objects, the Asus hands down does the best job.MOreso if elmb-sync is on.
280hz ELMB-SYNC at high FPS has a major advantage on fast moving objects over TN regardless if that TN has a 1ms response time.

the crosstalk dissipates very quickly if the FPS is near the max refresh. Don't worry too much about it. Me personally, i never saw any crosstalk from 240hz and above. Crosstalk(dbl image) started to creep in(and yes, it was fairly obvious) at 165hz and below for me. I suggest you give it a try. If u don't like it, just return it. Most websites have a 30 day return window. Just makes sure when u open the box, don't throw anything away if in case u intend to return it in the future.
Cool thnx. The reason I want to go to a IPS, is a better color experience with single player games. Yes I mostly play FPS titles such as CSGO, PUBG, COD and in the future probably Valorant. But I do like the occasional AAA title as well. Understanding your story the MSI would then be a better fit for me. The MSI sold out really quickly in my country and is on backorder at every webshop at the moment. So I guess I'll just try the ASUS!

Blehhh

Post by Blehhh » 14 May 2020, 04:04

dANii wrote:
14 May 2020, 03:10
RLCScontender wrote:
14 May 2020, 02:55
dANii wrote:

Cool thnx. The reason I want to go to a IPS, is a better color experience with single player games. Yes I mostly play FPS titles such as CSGO, PUBG, COD and in the future probably Valorant. But I do like the occasional AAA title as well. Understanding your story the MSI would then be a better fit for me. The MSI sold out really quickly in my country and is on backorder at every webshop at the moment. So I guess I'll just try the ASUS!
Are you going to get the VG259qm or the VG279qm?