05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
RLCSContender*

Re: 05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by RLCSContender* » 16 Jun 2020, 14:09

Ayye i suck at this

Input lag human benchmark at 240hz

phpBB [video]

Input lag human benchmark at 60hz

1000WATT

Re: 05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by 1000WATT » 16 Jun 2020, 14:44

RLCScontender wrote: The nitro a very slow 240hz ips has one of the lowest latencies. Im sure my g sync monitor wont be any diffierentt, its literally the same panel(they were also released the same time).
Even if the panel is the same. This is not the same monitor.
RLCScontender wrote: With native g sync, my inputs are instantaneous. Its so low that playing online feels the same as offline.
RLCScontender wrote: Heres a point of reference. Guess who's the #1 ranked input lag monitor on rtings? Its freesync cousin of the xb273x the acer nitro xv273 x. The major diff is, with g sync hardware, input lag is instantaneous and inp7t lag at 60hz is lower than any monitor ive ever tested in my entire life.
I think at a frequency of 240 xv273 x it will have a lower input delay.
RLCScontender wrote: Here's a point of reference how much of a disadvantage the fastest TN monitor has over the acer predator xb273x, the MSI MAG251rx, and the Dell Alienware aw2521hf
There are tn having lower input lag than xf252q.
RLCScontender wrote: btw the acer nitro xv273x is the same exact panel as the acer predator xb273x. They came out at the same time except the native g-sync module has a faster response time and lower input lag(since it has a g-sync hardware scaler is TUNED and tested by nvidia to synchronize the fresh rate moreso than the GPU(freesync monitors), which then allows variable overdrive and instantaneous input lag.
Did you measure it with your device or is it just your opinion?
RLCScontender wrote: if you put the 240hz g sync predator against the fastest TN, the fastest TN will lose. The response time differences are SO negligible that it's literally impossible to tell the difference in practice in my opinion. however, the input lag is night and day. The input lag is LOWER on the predator AND LOWER accross the refresh rate range. Whereas the fastest TN, the input lag starts to get horrendous the moment the FPS dips below 240hz.
How do you know which tn is the fastest if you do not have them? And you did not test them with your equipment.
RLCScontender wrote: TFT central posted these input lag results. The fastest TN Acer Nitro XF252Q has way more input lag than the acer nitro xv273x(the same exact panel and release date as the xb273x, difference is the predator has instantaneous no input lag thx to g-sync scaler and way better response times).
In your version of g-sync module = minimum input lag. This is not true.
os.jpg
os.jpg (136.93 KiB) Viewed 4924 times
Do I understand correctly that these are the results of your measurements? Did the oscilloscope write "instant"? :lol:
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 16 Jun 2020, 14:52

RLCScontender wrote: if you put the 240hz g sync predator against the fastest TN, the fastest TN will lose. The response time differences are SO negligible that it's literally impossible to tell the difference in practice in my opinion. however, the input lag is night and day. The input lag is LOWER on the predator AND LOWER accross the refresh rate range. Whereas the fastest TN, the input lag starts to get horrendous the moment the FPS dips below 240hz.
In your universe there are no tn monitors with a g-sync module and a panel like xf252q. :(
Last edited by 1000WATT on 16 Jun 2020, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 16 Jun 2020, 14:55

I skipped many pages of this topic. But apparently nothing has changed. RLCS is fighting with tn. :lol:

kofman13

Post by kofman13 » 16 Jun 2020, 15:36

RLCScontender wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 11:28
kofman13 wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 11:10

wow! should i get this predator g sync over Mag251, asus 259qm or xg270? its in stock now! what is the color accuracy like???
MSI MAG251rx

phpBB [video]
(12 bit color depth)

vs

Acer Predator xb273x

visual acuity distance for 27" 1080p... This will give you a focal point disadvantage.

winner

MSI MAG251rx.

My three biggest reasons. 12 bit color depth>>8 bit color depth(the vibrance of colors is wayyy better on the MSi than the predator). Backlight strobing at 240hz>>ULMB at 144hz.

lastly and most important is the focal point disadvantage. WHich means that if you play on the MSI MAG251rx, your focal point should be 100%(peripheral vision, u dont' even have to move your head or your RETINA), whereas on the predator, bcuz it's a 27" monitor, you HAVE to move your eyes(retina) and you may even have to move your head unless you want to sit 41" away from the monitor(visual acuity distance).

24.5" is still better than 27" due to the focal point advantage. The differences in response times and input lag are so minal that i would much rather have 24.5", better colors, better strobing for compettiive reasons. Not to mention the MSi's gaming OSD app is among the best and most useful gaming apps out there.

td;l;

get the MSI MAG251rx if it's available. If you CANNOT WAIT, get the acer predator xb273x, there's literally NO demand for a 27" full HD monitor so u won't even have to worry about the monitor going in backorder. i would give it 2 weeks maximum, if the msi isn't restocked, then i guess u can get the predator. if ONLY the predator was 24.5" or 25", if that were the case i would pick the predator.
wow thanks for the advice. would you still say to get the MSI if i am not going to use HDMI (using DP for 240hz) and wont get the same color bit? or can i have 12 bit with Display port?

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 16 Jun 2020, 16:43

1000WATT wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 14:44
RLCScontender wrote: The nitro a very slow 240hz ips has one of the lowest latencies. Im sure my g sync monitor wont be any diffierentt, its literally the same panel(they were also released the same time).
RLCScontender wrote: With native g sync, my inputs are instantaneous. Its so low that playing online feels the same as offline.
RLCScontender wrote: Heres a point of reference. Guess who's the #1 ranked input lag monitor on rtings? Its freesync cousin of the xb273x the acer nitro xv273 x. The major diff is, with g sync hardware, input lag is instantaneous and inp7t lag at 60hz is lower than any monitor ive ever tested in my entire life.
RLCScontender wrote: Here's a point of reference how much of a disadvantage the fastest TN monitor has over the acer predator xb273x, the MSI MAG251rx, and the Dell Alienware aw2521hf
RLCScontender wrote: btw the acer nitro xv273x is the same exact panel as the acer predator xb273x. They came out at the same time except the native g-sync module has a faster response time and lower input lag(since it has a g-sync hardware scaler is TUNED and tested by nvidia to synchronize the fresh rate moreso than the GPU(freesync monitors), which then allows variable overdrive and instantaneous input lag.
How do you know which tn is the fastest if you do not have them? And you did not test them with your equipment.
RLCScontender wrote: TFT central posted these input lag results. The fastest TN Acer Nitro XF252Q has way more input lag than the acer nitro xv273x(the same exact panel and release date as the xb273x, difference is the predator has instantaneous no input lag thx to g-sync scaler and way better response times).

os.jpg
Do I understand correctly that these are the results of your measurements? Did the oscilloscope write "instant"? :lol:
Native g-sync technology my friend. The monitor(not the GPU) waits for new refreshed frames from your graphics card, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND). The front buffer will always be processed through the MONITOR(the g sync scaler chip does most of the work, not the GPU); therefore, there's no added in put lag, no stuttering, no tearing, etc. It's basically instantaneous. If there is input lag, it's negligible at best(0.5 or 1ms). And nvidia is correct, they DO test these things rigorously.

Another thing too, variable overdrive. the response times are always at the absolute peak performance at any variable refresh rate within the refresh rate range, so the performance will be top notch regardless if the FPS fluctuates. It's basically 2.5-2.6ms response time throughout the refresh rate range.

its sister panel the acer nitro xv273x(basically the same exact panel, just replace "nitro" with "predator" and the "V" with "B"). yet because it's not a native g-sync module, the overdrive tuning is HORRIBLE. It's around the LG27gl-850 range(the fastest 144hz ips monitor). it's fast but if it cannot get 4.17ms response times at 240hz, there will be ghosting undershoot.(and unforutnately, the nitro does have it, NOT the g-sync predator though)

acer nitro xv273x (from my recollection, it was about 4.6-4.7ms g2g which is just about as fast as the LG 27gl850, the fastest 144hz IPS monitor.

(i got these ufo tests from TFT central's review of the acer nitro 240hz IPS panel)

pox02

Post by pox02 » 16 Jun 2020, 16:51

RLCScontender wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 16:43
1000WATT wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 14:44

os.jpg
Native g-sync technology my friend. The monitor(not the GPU) waits for new refreshed frames from your graphics card, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND). The front buffer will always be processed through the MONITOR(the g sync scaler chip does most of the work, not the GPU); therefore, there's no added in put lag, no stuttering, no tearing, etc. It's basically instantaneous. If there is input lag, it's negligible at best(0.5 or 1ms). And nvidia is correct, they DO test these things rigorously.

Another thing too, variable overdrive. the response times are always at the absolute peak performance at any variable refresh rate within the refresh rate range, so the performance will be top notch regardless if the FPS fluctuates. It's basically 2.5-2.6ms response time throughout the refresh rate range.

its sister panel the acer nitro xv273x(basically the same exact panel, just replace "nitro" with "predator" and the "V" with "B"). yet because it's not a native g-sync module, the overdrive tuning is HORRIBLE. It's around the LG27gl-850 range(the fastest 144hz ips monitor). it's fast but if it cannot get 4.17ms response times at 240hz, there will be ghosting undershoot.(and unforutnately, the nitro does have it, NOT the g-sync predator though)

acer nitro xv273x (from my recollection, it was about 4.6-4.7ms g2g which is just about as fast as the LG 27gl850, the fastest 144hz IPS monitor.

(i got these ufo tests from TFT central's review of the acer nitro 240hz IPS panel)
just pre order the xb273x i love gsync cause variable overdrive no strobing will match the level of gsync end story
monitors xg258q aw2518hf 27GK750F-B pg248q xg240r lg w2363d-pf xb270hu XL2546 XL2546K NXG252R

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 16 Jun 2020, 17:05

1000watt, i kindly as u stop trolling my thread. U skipped over my thread with the intention to shit post. Yes, i owned and tested ONE TN before and the input lag was noticeably worse than the msi mag251rx. Here's the post i made a few days ago.

Faster response times arent mutually exclusive with low input lag fyi.

Not gonna bother addressing any of ur posts any further. Im here to share my experiences and perhaps show my point of view from a consumer's perspective .
RLCScontender post_05 wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 15:41
fowteen wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 13:44
Will you ever do a test with the 25f just to see if the 1ms response time difference will change your performance in rocket league on 240hz or are you sticking to ips?
I've already done it back in january of this year

The moderation staff doesn't take it too kindly when i post divisive yet TESTABLE/observable facts and opinions. Even if it's true, it's really not something (especially a TN owner) would want to hear, so out of empathy, i wil refrain from answering your question in a blunt manner.

but yes, i've already done it. And my performance suffered because i play a game where i need 100% clarity on my monitor, and the distortions of TN technology(since our eyeballs aren't falt, it's curved) and the saturation shift from top/bottom/corners/etc despite looking at the monitor directly in front of me are the main factors. this is game dependente however, i play rocket league so it's easier for me to know what the goalkeeper is doing on the TOP of my screen on an IPS than using a TN. On shooters, it's probably not a big deal.

Even if there was no saturation shifts and that there's no image distortation, the slightly added input lag will play a role in my performance. Not saying the omen x27/omen x25f have bad input lag, i believe rtings has the input lag equal to that of their most recently reviewed 240hz ips monitor, 27gn750 a slower 240hz IPS monitor

but when it comes to the 25" predator input lag or the 24.5" MSi input lag, these omens aren't as snappy. I tested the 27" version, which is basically just as fast as the fastest TN (x25f). 2.1 and 2.3 response times are basically nothing. For a point of reference, these are the FASTEST of the FAST, the top 99%(if not the fastest). There maybe unreviewed TN that maybe faster but generally speaking, the OMENs consistently get ranked the best in basically every reviewer website(along with the acer nitro xv253q

2019 taurus sho 0 60

when it comes to motion blur, i did'nt see any differences comparing my MSI to the omen in practice but the UFO tests are slightly better for the omen. then again, in practice i didn't see it. When ppl "whine" and complain as to why 240hz ips is so "blurry" it's bcuz they are probably comparing to much slower 240hz IPS. alienware/msi rarely gets compared to TN.(that reviewer compared all 3 of the alienwares he claimed that the aw2521HF as the fastest alienware(even faster than his TN alienware)

phpBB [video]

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 16 Jun 2020, 17:18

kofman13 wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 15:36
RLCScontender wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 11:28
kofman13 wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 11:10

wow! should i get this predator g sync over Mag251, asus 259qm or xg270? its in stock now! what is the color accuracy like???
MSI MAG251rx

phpBB [video]
(12 bit color depth)

vs

Acer Predator xb273x

visual acuity distance for 27" 1080p... This will give you a focal point disadvantage.

winner

MSI MAG251rx.

My three biggest reasons. 12 bit color depth>>8 bit color depth(the vibrance of colors is wayyy better on the MSi than the predator). Backlight strobing at 240hz>>ULMB at 144hz.

lastly and most important is the focal point disadvantage. WHich means that if you play on the MSI MAG251rx, your focal point should be 100%(peripheral vision, u dont' even have to move your head or your RETINA), whereas on the predator, bcuz it's a 27" monitor, you HAVE to move your eyes(retina) and you may even have to move your head unless you want to sit 41" away from the monitor(visual acuity distance).

24.5" is still better than 27" due to the focal point advantage. The differences in response times and input lag are so minal that i would much rather have 24.5", better colors, better strobing for compettiive reasons. Not to mention the MSi's gaming OSD app is among the best and most useful gaming apps out there.

td;l;

get the MSI MAG251rx if it's available. If you CANNOT WAIT, get the acer predator xb273x, there's literally NO demand for a 27" full HD monitor so u won't even have to worry about the monitor going in backorder. i would give it 2 weeks maximum, if the msi isn't restocked, then i guess u can get the predator. if ONLY the predator was 24.5" or 25", if that were the case i would pick the predator.
wow thanks for the advice. would you still say to get the MSI if i am not going to use HDMI (using DP for 240hz) and wont get the same color bit? or can i have 12 bit with Display port?
U can still get 10 bit color depth with DP with full range colors instead of limited.

As i stated, the major issue with 27" 1080p is the wider focal point making it harder to react in a timely manner since moving your eyeballs adds delay to ur reaction time. This problem i nsolved with a 24.5" monitor. Since ur field of view and focal point are more aligned with the smaller panel.

I would say the acer predator is a solid 2nd place in the 240hz ips wars.

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 16 Jun 2020, 17:52

RLCScontender wrote: 1000watt, i kindly as u stop trolling my thread. U skipped over my thread with the intention to shit post.
Remember how you stated:
Blur tn 240 and ips 240 are the same.
3ms g2g or 2ms g2g does not matter at a frequency of 240.
No tears are visible on the 240hz monitor.
Time passed and you changed your mind.

I reacted to all this with fun posts. And you seem to hold a grudge.

RLCScontender wrote: Native g-sync technology my friend. The monitor(not the GPU) waits for new refreshed frames from your graphics card, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND). The front buffer will always be processed through the MONITOR(the g sync scaler chip does most of the work, not the GPU); therefore, there's no added in put lag, no stuttering, no tearing, etc. It's basically instantaneous. If there is input lag, it's negligible at best(0.5 or 1ms). And nvidia is correct, they DO test these things rigorously.
Take a closer look at this.
fdffdfdf.png
fdffdfdf.png (7.81 KiB) Viewed 4793 times
RLCScontender wrote: Another thing too, variable overdrive. the response times are always at the absolute peak performance at any variable refresh rate within the refresh rate range, so the performance will be top notch regardless if the FPS fluctuates. It's basically 2.5-2.6ms response time throughout the refresh rate range.
This is general information. Boring. If you can describe in more detail what exactly is changing. With a decrease in frequency, does overdrive increase or decrease? How to disable dynamic overdrive? Or are you more comfortable thinking that nvidia tuned everything perfectly and it’s better not to do it?