05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
purplew
Posts: 78
Joined: 04 Aug 2020, 00:24

Re: 05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by purplew » 19 Aug 2020, 09:23

edu616 wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 15:48
Greetings I have seen reviews for these 3 monitors: Asus vg279qm, ViewSonic XG270 and Benq Zowie XL2746s and I'm very torn between the 3. For best motion clarity I think the answer would be the Zowie as it Dyac tech is the best Strobing tech there seems to be out there and that is why I am considering it. However is it really worth it to pay $200 more dollars for it? Anyhow for the two that are IPS monitors (vg279qm and xg270) I have seen that the preferred one is the Asus in some aspects but I have seen others that preferred the ViewSonic as it's upgradable and apparently latest updates let you even use different Strobing flavors so it wouldn't dim your display brightness as much. I play CS GO, Valorant, Halo and Rouge Company mainly ( I do play other less competitive games but not as much). I just want someone that might have tried these 3 or had experiences recently with them so I can maybe make my mind and finally pull the trigger! Thanks and sorry for the long post.
I've come to terms with this as i was in a similar situation. I think as long as you get 240hz with low response time you'll be okay, you can check the XL2746s review of DyAC+ but you still see it has some form of crosstalk. No technology is perfect, TN will have slightly better motion clarity and lower crosstalk (but still have some crosstalk and overshoot) while IPS has better colors but higher overshoot+crosstalk if you use motion blur reduction tech. I think at this level of technology there are so many things to improve on your own, like your aim, pre-aim, movement, situation awareness, etc. etc. before your skill becomes capped by the Hz. I personally got a MAG251RX and am running it with Anti Motion Blur at all times and find it quite usable and don't think I'd do any better with e.g. the XL2746s which has better motion blur tech

edu616
Posts: 4
Joined: 18 Aug 2020, 15:34

Re: 05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by edu616 » 19 Aug 2020, 10:46

purplew wrote:
19 Aug 2020, 09:23
edu616 wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 15:48
Greetings I have seen reviews for these 3 monitors: Asus vg279qm, ViewSonic XG270 and Benq Zowie XL2746s and I'm very torn between the 3. For best motion clarity I think the answer would be the Zowie as it Dyac tech is the best Strobing tech there seems to be out there and that is why I am considering it. However is it really worth it to pay $200 more dollars for it? Anyhow for the two that are IPS monitors (vg279qm and xg270) I have seen that the preferred one is the Asus in some aspects but I have seen others that preferred the ViewSonic as it's upgradable and apparently latest updates let you even use different Strobing flavors so it wouldn't dim your display brightness as much. I play CS GO, Valorant, Halo and Rouge Company mainly ( I do play other less competitive games but not as much). I just want someone that might have tried these 3 or had experiences recently with them so I can maybe make my mind and finally pull the trigger! Thanks and sorry for the long post.
I've come to terms with this as i was in a similar situation. I think as long as you get 240hz with low response time you'll be okay, you can check the XL2746s review of DyAC+ but you still see it has some form of crosstalk. No technology is perfect, TN will have slightly better motion clarity and lower crosstalk (but still have some crosstalk and overshoot) while IPS has better colors but higher overshoot+crosstalk if you use motion blur reduction tech. I think at this level of technology there are so many things to improve on your own, like your aim, pre-aim, movement, situation awareness, etc. etc. before your skill becomes capped by the Hz. I personally got a MAG251RX and am running it with Anti Motion Blur at all times and find it quite usable and don't think I'd do any better with e.g. the XL2746s which has better motion blur tech
Thanks for your response. I think that is true too. I found that they have the Asus on my local Microcenter so I might just go with that one as I don't think spending $250 more will give a bigger advantage, yes it's brighter using Dyac+, which the only thing that I would like the other two to have too but well you can't win them all. I whish the strobe modes on the asus or ViewSonic had better brightness. Anyway thanks again.

Faskill
Posts: 10
Joined: 19 Aug 2020, 13:53

Re: 05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by Faskill » 19 Aug 2020, 16:13

Hi everyone, would you recommend buying one of these 240Hz monitors for someone that would only play at a maximum of 150 fps? If so, which one would be the best fit? I am currently hesitating between the AW2521HF, MSI MAG251RX, VG259QM and the newer XB253QGX. I don’t know if I need backlight strobing below 160hz and which of these would be best for me since all reviews are focused on 180-244Hz usage.

I mainly play COD:MW (warzone) semi-competitively and my PC only goes up to 150 fps on low settings. I am currently using a budget TN 144 Hz screen (VX2458-C-MHD) but I’m really not happy with the image quality and I find it hard to see ennemies at longer ranges (especially outside of urban areas). To try to mitigate this issue with my current screen, I have to use high zoom optics which prevent me from being efficient in cqb.

I want to stick with the highest fps possible so I don’t want to make the switch to 1440P or higher so 24-24.5 inches is probably the best monitor size for me.
I haven’t found a high end IPS 144Hz screen below 27" and may upgrade my PC down the line which is why I’m interested in 240Hz options.

edu616
Posts: 4
Joined: 18 Aug 2020, 15:34

Re: 05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by edu616 » 19 Aug 2020, 23:04

edu616 wrote:
19 Aug 2020, 10:46
purplew wrote:
19 Aug 2020, 09:23
edu616 wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 15:48
Greetings I have seen reviews for these 3 monitors: Asus vg279qm, ViewSonic XG270 and Benq Zowie XL2746s and I'm very torn between the 3. For best motion clarity I think the answer would be the Zowie as it Dyac tech is the best Strobing tech there seems to be out there and that is why I am considering it. However is it really worth it to pay $200 more dollars for it? Anyhow for the two that are IPS monitors (vg279qm and xg270) I have seen that the preferred one is the Asus in some aspects but I have seen others that preferred the ViewSonic as it's upgradable and apparently latest updates let you even use different Strobing flavors so it wouldn't dim your display brightness as much. I play CS GO, Valorant, Halo and Rouge Company mainly ( I do play other less competitive games but not as much). I just want someone that might have tried these 3 or had experiences recently with them so I can maybe make my mind and finally pull the trigger! Thanks and sorry for the long post.
I've come to terms with this as i was in a similar situation. I think as long as you get 240hz with low response time you'll be okay, you can check the XL2746s review of DyAC+ but you still see it has some form of crosstalk. No technology is perfect, TN will have slightly better motion clarity and lower crosstalk (but still have some crosstalk and overshoot) while IPS has better colors but higher overshoot+crosstalk if you use motion blur reduction tech. I think at this level of technology there are so many things to improve on your own, like your aim, pre-aim, movement, situation awareness, etc. etc. before your skill becomes capped by the Hz. I personally got a MAG251RX and am running it with Anti Motion Blur at all times and find it quite usable and don't think I'd do any better with e.g. the XL2746s which has better motion blur tech
Thanks for your response. I think that is true too. I found that they have the Asus on my local Microcenter so I might just go with that one as I don't think spending $250 more will give a bigger advantage, yes it's brighter using Dyac+, which the only thing that I would like the other two to have too but well you can't win them all. I whish the strobe modes on the asus or ViewSonic had better brightness. Anyway thanks again.
Responding to myself just in case someone is on my same boat. Don't buy the Asus if you plan on playing fighting games. If you play at 60hz with this monitor you will have very very high input lag and you will perform worse than what you are used to.

User avatar
bleach
Posts: 22
Joined: 21 May 2020, 06:44

Re: 05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by bleach » 20 Aug 2020, 09:45

Faskill wrote:
19 Aug 2020, 16:13
Hi everyone, would you recommend buying one of these 240Hz monitors for someone that would only play at a maximum of 150 fps? If
This is a very easy question to answer, and I believe you already know the answer to it as well. Upgrading to a 240hz+ monitor will give you a better experience at 150fps, than playing on a 144hz screen. You get to have more flexibility with strobing your monitor for example, or if you don't like strobing, it will have decreased percieved input lag compared to a 144hz monitor. As for recommendations, I have not been online on the forum for some months, so I don't really know what to recommend. I've had a good experience with my VG259QM so far.
ee energy is eternal

forii
Posts: 172
Joined: 29 Jan 2020, 18:23

Re: 05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by forii » 20 Aug 2020, 10:01

Hiho. Long time no see.
Any of you got this latest Gaming OSD for Msi Mag251RX? I think it's fake... There is no Zero Latency at mine, even thought I downloaded latest version (
Version
0.0.2.35) from:

https://www.msi.com/Monitor/support/Opt ... Win10%2064


Image

I heard its upcomming from 26 june, now its almost 23 of august.. 2 months..

This is mine, which is same as before:
Image

Wish they could add possibility of resizing the crosshair overlay, msi has too big crosshairs overlay...

Faskill
Posts: 10
Joined: 19 Aug 2020, 13:53

Re: 05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by Faskill » 20 Aug 2020, 10:10

bleach wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 09:45

This is a very easy question to answer, and I believe you already know the answer to it as well. Upgrading to a 240hz+ monitor will give you a better experience at 150fps, than playing on a 144hz screen. You get to have more flexibility with strobing your monitor for example, or if you don't like strobing, it will have decreased percieved input lag compared to a 144hz monitor. As for recommendations, I have not been online on the forum for some months, so I don't really know what to recommend. I've had a good experience with my VG259QM so far.
Thanks for your answer, I’ve read many posts and I’ve tentatively reached the same conclusion.I just need to find the right monitor between the 4 I mentionned above.

Does backlight strobing work well for the VG259QM at 150Hz? It seems like the creator of this thread only advises this monitor with frequencies above 200Hz which I couldn’t reach with my current setup unless I turn off Gsync.

I could of course leave it running at 240Hz when playing at 150fps but I assume I would be better off with Gsync on?

User avatar
speancer
Posts: 185
Joined: 03 May 2020, 04:26
Location: Poland

Re: 05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by speancer » 20 Aug 2020, 12:21

Faskill wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 10:10
Does backlight strobing work well for the VG259QM at 150Hz? It seems like the creator of this thread only advises this monitor with frequencies above 200Hz which I couldn’t reach with my current setup unless I turn off Gsync.

I could of course leave it running at 240Hz when playing at 150fps but I assume I would be better off with Gsync on?
It does not, apparently, at least with VRR. Should be fine with fixed refresh rate, however. I guess you could set fixed refresh rate at 144 Hz and use ELMB then, if you don't mind dimmed display. I had VG279QM, but I am not interested in strobing, as my aiming technique does not benefit from it (crosshair fixed gaze), so I did not test it. Also, penalty in luminance is unacceptable to me. The only anti-blur tech I could use is DyAc from BenQ Zowie, it has no brightness penalty.

Like I mentioned, display gets pretty dim with ELMB activated. According to TFT Central, max luminance with ELMB off reaches 378 nits, after turning ELMB on, it drops to 184 nits. Unfortunately, it seems like vast majority of backlight strobing modes in monitors significantly dim the display. The great exception from that is BenQ Zowie's Dynamic Accuracy (DyAc), which is - in my opinion - the best anti-blur tech on the market. If you like strobing, I recommend you try BenQ Zowie XL series monitors with DyAc.

Here's quote from TFT Central's review:

"If you are using it with a fixed refresh rate (adaptive-sync turned off) then it is only available at 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz and the overclocked 270Hz or 280Hz levels. The overdrive control becomes locked when using ELMB-sync and from visual tests it appears to be set at the 80 level for all refresh rates. As we talked about earlier, this is fine for the higher refresh rate end from around 200 - 280Hz, but as the refresh rate lowers there is more noticeable overshoot present in the form of pale halos and trails. This means the ELMB-sync mode is less useable at lower refresh rates sadly. We would have preferred to maintain user control for the overdrive setting while this ELMB-sync mode was used. If it had to be locked like it has been, then we suppose optimising it for the upper refresh rate end is probably the right thing to do."

It's from VG279QM review, mind you, however I do not think it would be much different between the two, it's just the 27" version of the same monitor.

And yes, I'd say you'd probably be better off with Adaptive-Sync enabled (and ELMB off) if you only reach 150 fps on 240/280 Hz monitor, and you have to adjust overdrive level when VRR is active, since there is no adaptive overdrive. Overdrive "40" or "60" will probably be fine at that frame rate in Adaptive-Sync mode. I don't use any sync for my competitive play in CS:GO, but I use overkill frames above max refresh rate to reduce input lag as much as possible, so that's something you cannot do. Also, I just didn't like how the game felt with G-SYNC enabled. What's more, you play COD:MW. These are very different games and probably behave differently with unsynced frames.

Source:
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/as ... g279qm.htm
Last edited by speancer on 20 Aug 2020, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
Tested displays: ASUS VG259QMASUS VG279QMHP Omen X 25fBenQ Zowie XL2546 MSI MAG251RXAcer Predator XB273 XAcer Predator XB271HU
Displays to test: BenQ Zowie XL2546K (currently testing)

Faskill
Posts: 10
Joined: 19 Aug 2020, 13:53

Re: 05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by Faskill » 20 Aug 2020, 13:18

speancer wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 12:21
It does not, apparently, at least with VRR. Should be fine with fixed refresh rate, however. I guess you could set fixed refresh rate at 144 Hz and use ELMB then, if you don't mind dimmed display.
Thanks a lot for the in depth insight!
Would playing with Gsync Off and 240Hz in order to have ELMB be a good alternative?
But then I might as well buy a AW2521HF that has no strobing and perhaps better image quality.

Stevie66
Posts: 175
Joined: 06 Aug 2020, 15:56

Re: 05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by Stevie66 » 20 Aug 2020, 13:30

Faskill wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 13:18
speancer wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 12:21
It does not, apparently, at least with VRR. Should be fine with fixed refresh rate, however. I guess you could set fixed refresh rate at 144 Hz and use ELMB then, if you don't mind dimmed display.
Thanks a lot for the in depth insight!
Would playing with Gsync Off and 240Hz in order to have ELMB be a good alternative?
But then I might as well buy a AW2521HF that has no strobing and perhaps better image quality.
That entirely depends if you actually like ELMB, some love it some don't. I'm not a fan of it that's why I have an AW2521HF on the way, among other "issues" the Asus has that I'm not a fan of.

Post Reply