05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: 05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Dec 2020, 23:53

Suibom wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 07:26
In case you're wondering, since you mentioned Rocket League, I finished last season in 2v2 at 1912 and 1840 in 3v3. So I do play at what i consider a "high" standard, since i'm constantly playing with and against EU pro players.
ASUS PG259QN + Razer 8000 Hz prototype user here.

Currently. one MAJOR bottleneck for 360Hz monitors is mouse poll rate. You need a 2000 Hz poll rate (on an upcoming 8000 Hz mouse) to properly milk the 240Hz-vs-360Hz difference. The 240Hz-vs-360Hz is significantly diminished by the mouse poll rate -- which ideally needs to be approximately 5 to 6 times higher than the refresh rate. At 360 Hz, the mouse poll rate is only 2x.

I do downclock the 8000 Hz poll rate to 2000-4000 Hz on some cases, to prevent bottlenecking the CPU. But it definitely amplifies the difference between 240Hz-vs-360Hz if you have a higher mouse poll rate.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RLCSContender*

Re: 05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by RLCSContender* » 27 Dec 2020, 01:38

phpBB [video]
omfg. this is just unfair. the input lag online feels like playing offline on a 240hz monitor :roll:

lol 360hz gives a huge advantage. the difference between this and the pg259qn is that this does not have overshoot. the motion clarity due to minimal motion blur is easily the best ive ever seen in my entire life.

my sponsorship threatened to boot me if i cheat since rocket league only allow a max fps of 250. i literally made a grand champ iii rage quit.

variable overdrive is good throughout the refresh rate range. so evn at 60hz ghosting is kept in check.

mossfalt

Post by mossfalt » 27 Dec 2020, 11:49

RLCScontender wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 01:38

omfg. this is just unfair. the input lag online feels like playing offline on a 240hz monitor :roll:

lol 360hz gives a huge advantage. the difference between this and the pg259qn is that this does not have overshoot. the motion clarity due to minimal motion blur is easily the best ive ever seen in my entire life.

my sponsorship threatened to boot me if i cheat since rocket league only allow a max fps of 250. i literally made a grand champ iii rage quit.

variable overdrive is good throughout the refresh rate range. so evn at 60hz ghosting is kept in check.
Do you use it with vvr?, I really like what I hear about this monitor all around, but i'm on a radeon gpu, and it looks like it only supports nvidia.

How is the monitor without vvr?

diakou

Post by diakou » 28 Dec 2020, 04:25

RLCScontender wrote:
phpBB [video]

Indeed consistent with my experience as well on The Official *Dell Alienware AW2521H 360Hz* Owners Thread
diakou wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 01:37
Playing League of Legends (which btw, only has a 240fps cap, can edit it in the config text files/NVCP outside of game though) with g-sync enabled has been fantastic. I feel like I'm almost cheating versus other players in lane as I am able to consistently react and time certain interactions effortlessly. I was always able to auto attack space so that I get an attack on them, but they do not get one on me and vice-versa depending on my movement and range. But that always required some sort of planning and was not always seamless or able to execute on the possibility. Now I don't even feel like I have to plan it half the time, whenever it presents itself and the timing seems nice, it's almost always guaranteed and I can just go for it without worries that it might have been off-timing.
I feel like I'm almost cheating versus other players

Reaching lower and lower lag truly feels incredible in games - especially in a competitive setting. It becomes a completely different thing, it feels a lot more alive.

Suibom

Post by Suibom » 28 Dec 2020, 06:19

RLCScontender wrote:
phpBB [video]

So much Hyperbole and BS that it's starting to get annoying now. I thought you were gonna stop with all the Rocket League bravado and stick to talking only about the monitors.

There is nothing in your videos (mechanically speaking) that remotely makes me believe you're even above normal Grand Champion I. That player who you was against was not Grand Champion 3, because I can tell by the way people control their car and their in game mechanics. It's why I called BS on you awhile back because I've not seen anything impressive from you. And you will never show anything that matches a pro's skill because you're not even remotely on their level. Heck, you're even below my skill level.

So please stop spouting that stuff and stick to the monitor talk, it's what people here really want to talk about anyway. Everyone enjoys the input you have in regards to monitors, even if you do exaggerate often, but it's still interesting nonetheless.

StareX

Post by StareX » 28 Dec 2020, 11:00

diakou wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 04:25
RLCScontender wrote:
phpBB [video]

Indeed consistent with my experience as well on The Official *Dell Alienware AW2521H 360Hz* Owners Thread
diakou wrote:
Playing League of Legends (which btw, only has a 240fps cap, can edit it in the config text files/NVCP outside of game though) with g-sync enabled has been fantastic. I feel like I'm almost cheating versus other players in lane as I am able to consistently react and time certain interactions effortlessly. I was always able to auto attack space so that I get an attack on them, but they do not get one on me and vice-versa depending on my movement and range. But that always required some sort of planning and was not always seamless or able to execute on the possibility. Now I don't even feel like I have to plan it half the time, whenever it presents itself and the timing seems nice, it's almost always guaranteed and I can just go for it without worries that it might have been off-timing.

Reaching lower and lower lag truly feels incredible in games - especially in a competitive setting. It becomes a completely different thing, it feels a lot more alive.
you're talking about the Alienware 360Hz one?

Does it really have a very low input lag? I can reach 360+ fps in most games since I have a RTX3090..
should I get it? I'm quite competitive..

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 28 Dec 2020, 11:04

StareX wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 11:00
diakou wrote:
RLCScontender wrote:
phpBB [video]

diakou wrote:

Does it really have a very low input lag? I can reach 360+ fps in most games since I have a RTX3090..
All current 240/280/360hz monitors have very low input lag and no you won't notice a difference between any playing online where ping/servers other players ping etc are a much bigger variation compared to a monitor with 2ms of input delay vs one with 1.5ms, we're only humans.
Even using the reflex anaylzer games have such a big difference in ms that even getting the lowest settings it can still vary from like 6-12ms in Valorant, CS etc at a stable 360 fps.

StareX

Post by StareX » 28 Dec 2020, 11:32

Stevie66 wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 11:04
StareX wrote:
diakou wrote:
RLCScontender wrote:
phpBB [video]

diakou wrote:

All current 240/280/360hz monitors have very low input lag and no you won't notice a difference between any playing online where ping/servers other players ping etc are a much bigger variation compared to a monitor with 2ms of input delay vs one with 1.5ms, we're only humans.
Even using the reflex anaylzer games have such a big difference in ms that even getting the lowest settings it can still vary from like 6-12ms in Valorant, CS etc at a stable 360 fps.

Man I have no idea what to upgrade to then..

I have the XL2430T and the PG279Q, I main the PG279Q cuz I like the 1440p but I still feel like the input lag is just.. not as the BenQ's but the 165Hz is amazing compared to 144Hz.. I like it but it's not enough.. since two of my friends have the ASUS 280Hz 259Q monitor.. and it's amazing but I don't know what to pick x.x

I see the XL2546K but TN... I see the MSI one but 240Hz cuz there's 360Hz.. ooof so many choices lol

Lucasre5

Post by Lucasre5 » 28 Dec 2020, 12:05

StareX wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 11:32
Stevie66 wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 11:04
StareX wrote:
diakou wrote:

Man I have no idea what to upgrade to then..

I have the XL2430T and the PG279Q, I main the PG279Q cuz I like the 1440p but I still feel like the input lag is just.. not as the BenQ's but the 165Hz is amazing compared to 144Hz.. I like it but it's not enough.. since two of my friends have the ASUS 280Hz 259Q monitor.. and it's amazing but I don't know what to pick x.x

I see the XL2546K but TN... I see the MSI one but 240Hz cuz there's 360Hz.. ooof so many choices lol
I think it depends a lot on how much you can spend. If I had a choice, I would take the alienwere aw2521H 360hz but the price difference is very big for 240hz models and similar performance. Msi 240hz, asus 280hz and the 240hz alienwere are also excellent, take what you like best, among the 3 it is really quite complicated to choose but from everything I've seen so far the msi seems to be the best choice for little

mj_rl

Post by mj_rl » 28 Dec 2020, 16:25

Suibom wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 06:19
RLCScontender wrote:
phpBB [video]

So much Hyperbole and BS that it's starting to get annoying now. I thought you were gonna stop with all the Rocket League bravado and stick to talking only about the monitors.

There is nothing in your videos (mechanically speaking) that remotely makes me believe you're even above normal Grand Champion I. That player who you was against was not Grand Champion 3, because I can tell by the way people control their car and their in game mechanics. It's why I called BS on you awhile back because I've not seen anything impressive from you. And you will never show anything that matches a pro's skill because you're not even remotely on their level. Heck, you're even below my skill level.

So please stop spouting that stuff and stick to the monitor talk, it's what people here really want to talk about anyway. Everyone enjoys the input you have in regards to monitors, even if you do exaggerate often, but it's still interesting nonetheless.
Completely agree with you.
This guy just brags and never answers questions we are asking him.

Still waiting for the proof you said you will give us last month (actually a month ago, patience patience).

Utterly BS lmao.