05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
k0ns

Re: 05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why

Post by k0ns » 22 Jul 2020, 18:11

axaro1 wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 05:25
Blehhh wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 22:16
Thank you so much for all the help, i decided to purchase the VG 259QM yesterday from a physical shop, and im going to test it right now, all your help and pics help me decide to go for it.
1.Any idea what i should be doing first? check for BLB or dead pixel?
2.Does vg259qm run on native in nvidia or do i need to download CRU for it as well? to reduce even more input lag?
3.Whats your colour profile? did you use any calibrator?
Anyways thanks again for helping me decide on this monitor @axaro1 and everyone else here. :)
1. Yes, check for both, I generally use this site to test it http://www.flexcode.org/lcd2.html
2. You don't necessarily need CRU unless you want to do the 240hz 10bit trick which is achievable by creating a new resolution at 240hz with LCD Reduced.
(IDK about Nvidia but with the Amd software you have to go into Gaming -> Global Graphics -> Advanced -> ENABLE 10-Bit pixel. 10 bit is automatically used by windows once your monitor is detected as 10 bit but you need to manually enable it this way to force 10 bit in games)
3. I'm using Asus' icm profile (it is part of ASUS_VG259QM_WHQL_Driver, https://www.asus.com/Monitors/TUF-GAMIN ... _Download/)
I set the color mode to Racing Mode 70 brightness, 70 contrast, Shadow Boost 1 (Use 3 only with ELMB-Sync) and I manually slightly increase saturation in the Amd Radeon Software.

Is the 10bit hack worth it? It works on every monitor Right? Is it increasing anything, input lag, ghosting etc?
Do i need to calibrate color settings new? My english is bad

ItwasLuck

Re: 05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by ItwasLuck » 22 Jul 2020, 22:51

RLCScontender wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 22:28

unfortunately, i have the MSI MAG251RX as being better than the acer predator xb273 x. Although the response times and input lag are better on the predator xb273x, its really not by much. If you factor in 240hz backlight strobing, the msi 251rx is clearer than the 240hz acer predator. Also it will have zero latency option in the upcoming update. The colors and contrast ratios are better for the msi.

When it comes to head to head competitively, the msi mag251rx will smash the predator because the retinal focal point movement for 27" 1080p is MUCH MORE than 24.5" 1080p. Which means the person using the 27" predator will have way more retinal eye tracking than a person using the msi mag251rx. The only way to even out the odds is if the person sits 40-50 inches away from the screen. So if a person using the acer predator xb273x sat 45" away from the monitor, then the msi mag251rx user WILL be in big trouble. But lets be real, who really sets that far away?(other than myself LOL)
You say that a G-SYNC compatible monitor cannot compete with a Native G-SYNC one yet your own lag tests show the Nitro XV273X performing the best and 2nd best is the Acer XB253Q GX.

IMO, XB253Q GX > XB273 X if you want the optimal retinal eye-tracking. It has even lower input lag than the 27" Acer and is obviously better than the MSI in that regard.

axaro1

Re: 05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why

Post by axaro1 » 23 Jul 2020, 01:10

k0ns wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 18:11
Is the 10bit hack worth it? It works on every monitor Right? Is it increasing anything, input lag, ghosting etc?
Do i need to calibrate color settings new? My english is bad
It definitely reduces color banding and it improves colors, I'm now downloading only h265 10bit movies/anime/tv series because of it, I can notice the difference between 10bit colors and 8bit
The only downside is that it may very slightly worsen strobing because you are effectively doing the opposite of the Large VT trick.

If you own a 240hz IPS monitor there's a high chance you can run 240hz 10bit, give it a try and let me know if it helps.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

speancer

Re: 05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by speancer » 23 Jul 2020, 09:46

RLCScontender wrote:
speancer wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 06:16
RLCScontender wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 16:44
Good thing about this website is that the UFO testes generally don't lie. As long as saturation, temperature, and certain levels of brightness and a straight line, that's great way to tell how fast your monitor is.

Hey RLCScontender, so is the Acer Predator XB273X still the thing and the king? :)

It finally came to Poland, I ordered one already. From what I've seen here, XB273X has extremely good GtG response times, averaging at 2.6 ms, as seen on your picture, and little to none input lag, assuming from your previous posts, as well as well calibrated G-SYNC module. So, is this the best 240 Hz IPS monitor in terms of input lag, response times and motion clarity? Predator XB273X will also be cool for console gaming due to very low input lag, right?

I am only interested in monitors with G-SYNC module, not just G-SYNC Compatible, so I gave up on ASUS TUF VG279QM, especially because of its insane input lag at 60 Hz.
it's actually 2.54ms g2g, 2.6ms is just a "round up" because i'm too lazy to add another digit.

it's faster than any IPS monitor and faster than any VA monitor. It's faster than 90% of TN; however, accross the refresh rate range, the g2g response times does NOT go down, and the overshoot remain feint.

hardware unboxed claims 2.8ms g2g for the samsung odyssey g7. I measured it and it' 4.77ms g2g, even slower than the Nano IPS monitors.

For the sake of argument though, even if the odyssesy g7 was 2.8ms g2g, the acer predator xb273x at 2.54ms g2g is STILL faster

and not just at 240hz. it's also the fastest IPS monitor at 200hz, 144hz, 120hz, 100hz, and 60hz with VERY feint inverse ghosting. 2-3% overshoot error rate.
Gotta say I'm actually disappointed with the Acer Predator XB273 X and I will eventually return it :( I can see pretty much of inverse ghosting in brighter transitions (fade, pale halos) on Normal overdrive, to the level that it makes it distracting in CS:GO. In Blur Busters UFO Ghosting Test I can clearly see inverse ghosting (pale halos) as well, best visible in brighter transitions in Cyan colour background setting, and the pale halos are also clearly visible on all shades of grey in Middle Grays colour background setting. My XB273 X also has big backlight bleed, especially in bottom left corner, and HORRIBLE colour shift/uneven backlight from the left side of the screen, all the way vertically, from top to bottom, a few centimetres to the right, so everything on some portion of the left side of the screen appears bluish/darker... That's the worst colour defect on a monitor I have ever seen. What's more, a little bit of the top right corner of the XB273 X appears grayish/dim. My previous display, Acer Predator XB271HU, also had much of a problem with uniformity, some areas of that monitor were warmer, orangish. I actually got three replacements of XB271HU, and returned them all because of terrible panel uniformity and ghosting (on Normal overdrive, bluish halos). I'm starting to think that Acer just sucks.
Main display (TV/PC monitor): LG 42C21LA (4K 120 Hz OLED / WBE panel)
Tested displays: ASUS VG259QM/VG279QM [favourite LCD FPS display] (280 Hz IPS) • Zowie XL2546K/XL2540K/XL2546 (240 Hz TN DyAc) • Dell S3222DGM [favourite LCD display for the best blacks, contrast and panel uniformity] (165 Hz VA) • Dell Alienware AW2521HFLA (240 Hz IPS) • HP Omen X 25f (240 Hz TN) • MSI MAG251RX (240 Hz IPS) • Gigabyte M27Q (170 Hz IPS) • Acer Predator XB273X (240 Hz IPS G-SYNC) • Acer Predator XB271HU (165 Hz IPS G-SYNC) • Acer Nitro XV272UKV (170 Hz IPS) • Acer Nitro XV252QF (390 Hz IPS) • LG 27GN800 (144 Hz IPS) • LG 27GL850 (144 Hz nanoIPS) • LG 27GP850 (180 Hz nanoIPS) • Samsung Odyssey G7 (240 Hz VA)

OS: Windows 11 Pro GPU: Palit GeForce RTX 4090 GameRock OC CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D + be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 + Arctic MX-6 RAM: 32GB (2x16GB dual channel) DDR5 Kingston Fury Beast Black 6000 MHz CL30 (fully optimized primary and secondary timings by Buildzoid for SK Hynix die on AM5 platform) PSU: Corsair RM1200x SHIFT 1200W (ATX 3.0, PCIe 5.0 12VHPWR 600W) SSD1: Kingston KC3000 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 x4 SSD2: Corsair Force MP510 960GB PCIe 3.0 x4 MB: ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A GAMING WIFI (GPU PCIe 5.0 x16, NVMe PCIe 5.0 x4) CASE: be quiet! Silent Base 802 Window White CASE FANS: be quiet! Silent Wings 4 140mm PWM (3x front, 1x rear, 1x top rear, positive pressure) MOUSE: Logitech G PRO X Superlight (white) Lightspeed wireless MOUSEPAD: ARTISAN FX HIEN (wine red, soft, XL) KEYBOARD: Logitech G915 TKL (white, GL Tactile) Lightspeed wireless HEADPHONES: Sennheiser Momentum 4 Wireless (white) 24-bit 96 KHz + Sennheiser BTD600 Bluetooth 5.2 aptX Adaptive CHAIR: Herman Miller Aeron (graphite, fully loaded, size C)

Max_hz

Post by Max_hz » 23 Jul 2020, 11:01

Would @RLCScontender come back to this forum?

Has he already answered ChiefBB's questions about his test method?

If not, I would take his test results (for now) with a "grain of salt"!

I see that (novice) forum members still respond to old posts of him and even use his test results as facts or as purchase decision.

I really hope he comes back with the correct answers for those who are interested but much more for himself.

Perhaps it is better to lock his thread's if he does not return with the correct answers.
In use: Asus VG259QM IPS 240-280hz - Hanns-G HS233 TN 120hz
Used before: LG 24LG600 TN 144hz - HP Omen X 25f TN 240hz - ViewSonic XG2402 TN 144hz - Asus VG259Q IPS 144hz

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 23 Jul 2020, 13:12

Did a retest and remeasured the response times to make sure everything consistent (temperature+optimal OD setting). Re tuned my oscilloscopes and took in the stock archives of the stock warm temperatures)

Samsung Odyssey G7 27" review . The BLUR is OFFICIALLY BUSTED

Positive Criteria determination--> COMPETITIVE GAMING

Here's the real UFO test of the samsung odyssey g7. Most of the marketers either withhold this information or use MBR to misrepresent the monitor. In my opinion, a ghosting UFO test should be.

1. 960 pixel speed

2. Cyan cooler

3. MBR TURNED OFF

4. shutter speed is 1/4 that of the refresh rate

5. the monitor's fastest+playable overdrive setting(no excessive inverse ghosting or ghosting)

ALL OF MY UFO TESTS ARE 960 PIXEL SPEED+CYAN COLOR, MBR turned off on it s optimal playable overdrive setting. It keeps everything consistent. that way we are comparing the same exact medium(960 pixel speed) so it's much easier to tell which monitor is faster by simply looking at ghosting, asymmetrical blur, etc)

Odyssey G7 gets beaten by the viewsonic elite xg270qg the 2nd fastest 1440p IPS monitor(based off my results)

and... the Odyssey G7 gets demolished by the 5th fastest IPS monitor(based off my tests)

The BLUR is officially BUSTED

THE UFO test absolutely do not lie(as long as it's a straight line on the UFO test with very small gap in between those lines.... and the monitor temperature is warm enough(i waited at least 1 hour to be sure.. I didn't believe it at first and i was a huge doubter but the more i look at the UFO tests and comparing it to my IN practice tests, the more accurate it is. What you see on those UFO tests, YOU WILL probably SEE IN PRACTICE. It's so accurate that it's able to sniff out the hidden artifacts(the red phosphor from the viewsonic elilte xg270qg.

Point of reference (click to enlarge) **Viewsonic ELITE XG270 is the same as the Acer Nitro XV273x in response times.

COMING UP NEXT! Part 2 of samsung odyssey g7 review. The in practice results (BLUR will be busted soon)--->LG 27gl850-b review(the best overall IPS monitor today)--->omen x27-->vg259qm, vg279qm.

TODAY

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 23 Jul 2020, 13:55

speancer wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 09:46
RLCScontender wrote:
speancer wrote:
RLCScontender wrote:
Good thing about this website is that the UFO testes generally don't lie. As long as saturation, temperature, and certain levels of brightness and a straight line, that's great way to tell how fast your monitor is.

Hey RLCScontender, so is the Acer Predator XB273X still the thing and the king? :)

It finally came to Poland, I ordered one already. From what I've seen here, XB273X has extremely good GtG response times, averaging at 2.6 ms, as seen on your picture, and little to none input lag, assuming from your previous posts, as well as well calibrated G-SYNC module. So, is this the best 240 Hz IPS monitor in terms of input lag, response times and motion clarity? Predator XB273X will also be cool for console gaming due to very low input lag, right?

I am only interested in monitors with G-SYNC module, not just G-SYNC Compatible, so I gave up on ASUS TUF VG279QM, especially because of its insane input lag at 60 Hz.
it's actually 2.54ms g2g, 2.6ms is just a "round up" because i'm too lazy to add another digit.

it's faster than any IPS monitor and faster than any VA monitor. It's faster than 90% of TN; however, accross the refresh rate range, the g2g response times does NOT go down, and the overshoot remain feint.

hardware unboxed claims 2.8ms g2g for the samsung odyssey g7. I measured it and it' 4.77ms g2g, even slower than the Nano IPS monitors.

For the sake of argument though, even if the odyssesy g7 was 2.8ms g2g, the acer predator xb273x at 2.54ms g2g is STILL faster

and not just at 240hz. it's also the fastest IPS monitor at 200hz, 144hz, 120hz, 100hz, and 60hz with VERY feint inverse ghosting. 2-3% overshoot error rate.
Gotta say I'm actually disappointed with the Acer Predator XB273 X and I will eventually return it :( I can see pretty much of inverse ghosting in brighter transitions (fade, pale halos) on Normal overdrive, to the level that it makes it distracting in CS:GO. In Blur Busters UFO Ghosting Test I can clearly see inverse ghosting (pale halos) as well, best visible in brighter transitions in Cyan colour background setting, and the pale halos are also clearly visible on all shades of grey in Middle Grays colour background setting. My XB273 X also has big backlight bleed, especially in bottom left corner, and HORRIBLE colour shift/uneven backlight from the left side of the screen, all the way vertically, from top to bottom, a few centimetres to the right, so everything on some portion of the left side of the screen appears bluish/darker... That's the worst colour defect on a monitor I have ever seen. What's more, a little bit of the top right corner of the XB273 X appears grayish/dim. My previous display, Acer Predator XB271HU, also had much of a problem with uniformity, some areas of that monitor were warmer, orangish. I actually got three replacements of XB271HU, and returned them all because of terrible panel uniformity and ghosting (on Normal overdrive, bluish halos). I'm starting to think that Acer just sucks.
41 42 50. Is the temp colors i used and got me 3% instead of 8% inverse ghosting.

Before

After

Predator xb273x on left alienware aw2521hfl on right(cold temperature)

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 23 Jul 2020, 14:41

ItwasLuck wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 22:51
RLCScontender wrote:

unfortunately, i have the MSI MAG251RX as being better than the acer predator xb273 x. Although the response times and input lag are better on the predator xb273x, its really not by much. If you factor in 240hz backlight strobing, the msi 251rx is clearer than the 240hz acer predator. Also it will have zero latency option in the upcoming update. The colors and contrast ratios are better for the msi.

When it comes to head to head competitively, the msi mag251rx will smash the predator because the retinal focal point movement for 27" 1080p is MUCH MORE than 24.5" 1080p. Which means the person using the 27" predator will have way more retinal eye tracking than a person using the msi mag251rx. The only way to even out the odds is if the person sits 40-50 inches away from the screen. So if a person using the acer predator xb273x sat 45" away from the monitor, then the msi mag251rx user WILL be in big trouble. But lets be real, who really sets that far away?(other than myself LOL)
You say that a G-SYNC compatible monitor cannot compete with a Native G-SYNC one yet your own lag tests show the Nitro XV273X performing the best and 2nd best is the Acer XB253Q GX.

IMO, XB253Q GX > XB273 X if you want the optimal retinal eye-tracking. It has even lower input lag than the 27" Acer and is obviously better than the MSI in that regard.
it depends how far that person sits. I did a full scale investigation on this.

When i first got my acer predator xb273x, i would literally lose 90% of my games. I didn't know why but it seems as if my opposing opponents always reacted faster than me. So i did an extensive investigation and the main culprit was the focal point issues that a 27" monitor comes with.

More retinal movement--->SLOWER reaction times to moving stimuli. So I did an extensive research on optical physiology and i found out that i need to sit about 40-50 inches AWAY from the 27" monitor to have the same focal point as someone who just sat 2 feet away from a 24.5" monitor.

after i solved that issue. I pretty much demolished every competition. I think i won like 13 rocket league games in a row after that before running into esports professionals. (their skill is higher but i still had the monitor advantage)

As for this thread is concerned. Let me bring up the elephant in the room.

Pixel walk/pixel inversion artifacts

ALL 30 or so monitors that i've purchased(even the g-sync native nano viewsonic) had pixel walk (pixel inversion). In my opinion, the only time you should RMA is if the pixel walk is so severe that you have legitimate burn in.

For any one even remotely complaining about pixel walk (inversion artifacts). That means YOU ARE SITTING TOO CLOSE TO THE MONITOR. 24.5" 1080p, 30-36" and 1080p 27" 36-48 , those are my recommended sitting distance for focal point AND visual acuity. ALL 30 or so monitors that i've purchased in my life HAD some sort of pixel walk(pixel inversion), EVERY one of them failed the lagom flicker test. That's just the downside of LCD displays. The only way to pass the pixel walk on lagom is if you have a CRT or OLED monitor(or so that's what i've read online). I gotta give it to the odyssey g7, it probably has one of the least pixel walk that i've seen(then again, it's still there).

Input lag and human benchmarks

With my own human benchmarks, after a crapload of attempts, The fastest i got was 2ms (by guessing) on the alienware aw2521hfl. here's a quick demonstration i made the other day to show the diff of 60hz vs 240hz(btw, my own personal benchmark is different bcuz you're not ME, and i'm not you. However, the monitor is capable of getting 2ms. Hell, i got 17ms on my 2nd try

phpBB [video]
(occasional pixel walk happens but it just means i was recording too close to the monitor)

PeterParker

Post by PeterParker » 23 Jul 2020, 18:38

I agree. I didn't purchase my vg259qm only based on his reviews. I searched all the feedback I could find to make my decision, if not I would probably took an MSI. But the reviews on Amazon were kind of bad for the MSI. it's been quite some time without any answers from him, so we should really be careful on the results.

Quarksie

Post by Quarksie » 24 Jul 2020, 06:32

RLCScontender wrote:
speancer wrote:
RLCScontender wrote:

Wait, what do you mean by "more retinal focal point"? superficial distribution in a normosighted person? In which only the Macula covering matters (naturally where 24.5" vs 27" does't make a big difference, although you are right about distance, but then pixel density would advantage the 24.5" users for comfort).