05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
forii

Re: 04/18/2020. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by forii » 19 Apr 2020, 12:03

No words to you man, now I know you are a troll. It will not be the same if I record the video by my phone because the quality will be worse.

Btw. Choosen worst pictures of my TN and trying to proov that your ips is better.

I saw your previous posts when you were comparing Asus vs MSI,

now when it comes to motion clarity you simply dont want to record it (like I did for you), I think I know the answer now. Its simply worse and you dont wanna prove it.

You are reported for wasting my time and trying to spread a lie.

Btw here is the correct picture of my TN from video:

Vs

your "legit" viewsonic

I even made a picture for you in paint

This comparison proofs that motion clarity (not speed, not ghosting) - just simply the visibility of the ufo is much clear on even 144hz TN compare to any 240hz IPS or 165Hz )

Im writing this because I can't look at this lie you posted,

And you didnt reply to me about TN panel, if you were perfectionist like me you would buy one and compare it with your Viewsonic by self.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: 04/18/2020. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Apr 2020, 12:19

Hey!

Easy on each other please. I see multiple people getting heated in this thread.

It's also time to re-read the "Be Nice To Each Other" rules.
You agreed to this when you clicked "Register" at the beginning.

That's the #1 forum rule, whether it applies to name calls (example: "troll") or all-caps (shouting), or similar activity.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

jnashville

Post by jnashville » 19 Apr 2020, 12:21

Hmm I am using the vg259qm. My testufo on 280hz looks more crisp than your TN panel.

If I run with elmb on at 280hz, it's much sharper and crisp than the images above my post.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 19 Apr 2020, 12:22

please don't photograph my 1440p nano viewsonic on your 1080p TN monitor, it will mess up the colors thanks. I don't want your TN disrespecting my Nano IPS.

honestly, we can argue back and forth on who's "clearer". So i guess we have to agree to disagree. I switched down to 1080p on my viewsonic and from my point of view, it wasn't even close on who was clearer. The blur was the same, but the crosstalk on your TN was more aggressive. But enough of that, we have to agree to disagree then.

but don't you find it kind of sad that the sole reason to buy a TN are better response times, yet my Nano panel clearly is just as fast, yet it has 98% DCi-p3, 133% SRGB, better viewing angles, more accurate colors, better uniformity, etc etc.

you just have to accept the fact that when it comes to high refresh rate gaming, IPS will eventually take over. The MSI/AW and a non defective 280hz asus are just a beginning. I truly believe this is the beginning of the end for TN. i do a lot of amazon shopping and NOBODY is buying TN. Not even durijng the covid-19 pandemic

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Apr 2020, 12:24

jnashville wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 12:21
Hmm I am using the vg259qm. My testufo on 280hz looks more crisp than your TN panel.

If I run with elmb on at 280hz, it's much sharper and crisp than the images above my post.
It's best to compare apples-vs-apples (non-strobed versus non-strobed) or (strobed versus strobed)

Obviously, strobing is clearer.

Assuming no GtG bottlenecks (GtG tiny fraction of single refresh cycle):

And with strobing (ULMB, ELMB, DyAc, VRB, LightBoost, PureXP, etc)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 19 Apr 2020, 12:24

jnashville wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 12:21

EDIT>>>> it's not defective at all. I will retract what i said. Then again, how come the TN is jujst as fast as the viewsonic, yet he's claiming that his 144hz TN is faster than the 280hz asus. Doesnt' make any sense.
Last edited by RLCScontender on 19 Apr 2020, 12:46, edited 2 times in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Apr 2020, 12:28

RLCScontender wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 12:22
i do a lot of amazon shopping and NOBODY is buying TN. Not even durijng the covid-19 pandemic
False.
(I can attest to this: I see many TN sales through the Blur Busters Amazon Affiliate links.)

TN still have many advantages. Right Tool For The Right Job.

This is just a generality. There are pros/cons of TN and IPS, and varies from model to model However, there are also good fast IPS monitors that is now faster than the worst/slowest TN monitors. The venn diagram overlaps nowadays. That said, it is extremely hard to beat the BenQ XL2546S for certain purposes.

Yes, there are defective panels that worsen things -- a defective IPS worse than average IPS, and a defective TN worse than average TN. Perhaps this can affect things. Or not.

Respect TN. Respect IPS. Period.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Apr 2020, 12:36

forii wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 12:03
And you didnt reply to me about TN panel, if you were perfectionist like me you would buy one and compare it with your Viewsonic by self.
Impartial Pursuit Camera Commentary
(Ignoring monitor analysis)
These are okay attempts at railless hand-wave pursuit camera for an end-user. Reasonably good camera exposure, but a bit short shutter which makes it harder to estimate tracking accuracy -- but it is now within error margins for me to analyze through my experienced eyes. Though the sync track is compatible with as few as 2 tickmarks in some situations -- normally I like to see at least more full size tickmarks exposed (3 at least) in that ladder-looking sync track. Some of these images are sufficiently accurately tracked enough to allow me to analyze. Ignoring colorimetry and focussing on motion blur stuff -- These appear to look normal for your panel. The pursuit camera tracking error margin is just (about) sufficiently accurate enough for me to be able to successfully analyze your pictures. For future, I suggest slightly longer exposures with a dimmer brightness to try to get slightly more tickmarks for easier error-margin analysis in the sync track.

(Just to be clear -- Focussing on blur accuracy apperances; not commenting on color differences -- since photos of another monitor on a different monitor is always off anyway -- but blur will be generally accurate).

I can confirm I'm not currently seeing any defects in your panel so far based on this capture. It looks normal as far as I can see. Anybody calling your panel defective is probably making an assumption based upon other factors or is incorrect.

Reminder to everyone:
(as some replies in the last while appears to have been heated up a bit0

P.S. Even though things are being heated up, let's de-escalate things. Everyone, please, use of heated typing (all caps, troll words, etc) is hugely discouraged on Blur Busters and has resulted in thread closings.

I'm not there yet, but I'm now paying more attention to this thread. Might be best to step out in the sun of your balcony or backyard, or play some other game, or put on your VR headset to play a different change of scenery than your regular competitive game, and relax. Some of the others of us are tense in this COVID-19 era and I'm generously helping out to giving bigger grace periods.
Relax...Stat!

Cheers.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 19 Apr 2020, 12:41

phpBB [video]

the moment i saw those guidelines chief, i immediately tested my viewsonic's backlight strobing. And my god, u weren't joking about that red tint. Damn, i guess the viewsonic gets an "L" here

Then again, look how clear the aliens are. THE MPRT is a good tradeoff for that overshoot.

but what the heck is that blue thing behind that alien? is that crosstalk? pixel smearing? or just motio n blur trail?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Apr 2020, 12:54

Pursuit Camera Commentary [for above footage]: From the sync track point of view, camera exposure is incorrect according to camera-settings criteria. Dim the screen or use a professional camera app ("DSLRCamera" for iOS) to get longer camera exposures per freezeframe, in order to stack 2 refresh cycles per freezeframe. You'll get much worse images for mis-tracked freezeframes (multi images amplify a lot), but much better images for accurate-tracked freezeframes (it becomes more WYSIWYG). However, even 1-tickmark strobed pursuits are semi-useful to analyze -- especially strobe crosstalk analysis -- even if there's only 1 tickmark. Ideal pursuit camera footage should get at least 2, 3, or 4 tickmarks but can get difficult for end users, but a little more allowance is given for 1-tickmark pursuit camera exposures for strobed modes as long as it's done by end users rather than professional reviewers -- due to the way strobed modes have useful analysis even for stationary camera too
RLCScontender wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 12:41
the moment i saw those guidelines chief, i immediately tested my viewsonic's backlight strobing. And my god, u weren't joking about that red tint. Damn, i guess the viewsonic gets an "L" here
Yeah, the XG270 is vastly superior to the XG270QG if you definitely want strobing.
I've written about this in Nano IPS Red Phosphor Affects Strobing. Fortunately, this is generally not a problem when there is no backlight modulation. If you don't use strobing, then it generally does not matter -- the nice reds of the Nano IPS are beautiful. Stunning really.

But not everyone cares about color. Remember, 12% of human population is colorblind. There's different levels of colorblindness, similar to different levels of deafness. So they may see colors but not benefit as much.

Everyone has their reasons for preferring different panels. They might even have motion blur discomfort / headaches / nausea where TN is better for them. Or they earn thousands dollars from lower lag in esports. Or they are super-sensitive to ghosting/coronas. I've seen people benefit more from TN than IPS. And I've seen people benefit more from IPS than TN. Just like not everyone sees tearing. Or microstutters. Or DVD versus HDTV (like grandma). Etc. Etc. Everyone sees different.

Bottom line, respect IPS. Respect TN.
RLCScontender wrote:
Then again, look how clear the aliens are. THE MPRT is a good tradeoff for that overshoot.
Yeah. Not the world's best. Some TN panels are massively better than all IPS panels in low strobe crosstalk, when strobing is a high priority. But fortunately, certain IPS panels such as XG270 can successfully strobe straight into the TN ballpark! (Maybe not as well as 240Hz XL2546S at 240Hz, but it definitely does a great job at low-crosstalk 120Hz).
RLCScontender wrote:
but what the heck is that blue thing behind that alien? is that crosstalk? pixel smearing? or just motio n blur trail?
It's crosstalk as explained at www.blurbusters.com/crosstalk.
But it can include ghosting/corona style tinting.
Strobe crosstalk is essentially instantaneous chopping (brief interval flashes) along the GtG curve.
It's LCD GtG that overlaps multiple refresh cycles.

To understand "How Do Monitor Manufacturers Cram GtG between Refresh Cycles During Strobing To Reduce Strobe Crosstalk", please look at the high speed videos at:
www.blurbusters.com/lightboost/video
www.blurbusters.com/scanout
www.blurbusters.com/red-phosphor
Or the famous old advanced page at
www.blurbusters.com/faq/creating-strobe-backlight

We've been doing this for years, so we know this stuff!