05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Ogmilkman

Re: 05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by Ogmilkman » 26 Sep 2020, 08:24

Between the aw2521hf and the vg259qm the vg259qm is the better choice if the use case is solely FPS > 240?

shin_ra_ban_sho

Re: 05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by shin_ra_ban_sho » 27 Sep 2020, 20:18

RLCScontender wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 15:23
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 13:00

Although I agree specifically if you only play Rocket League --
In general, I disagree, because not everyone uses monitors in the same way.

1. 240 Hz is not just for games.
Ergonomics. There are some of us with motion blur headaches / eyestrain. A 240 Hz monitor has clearer browser scrolling. Even buying a 240 Hz monitor just for web browsing has ergonomic benefits for some of us who are sensitive to eyestrain. The upcoming 360 Hz monitor by ASUS is reportedly covering most of the DCI P3 color gamut, so it is increasingly possible to have cake and eat it too. On a 240Hz monitor, browser scrolling is 75% clearer than on a 60Hz monitor with only one-quarter the scrolling motion blur. That's twice as clear scrolling as a 120Hz iPad, when you use smooth-scroll features such as keyboard arrows or mousewheel scrolling.
LOL you're right. I've been exclusively using 240hz monitors for so long that i took these small conveniences for granted. My first impression of getting my first 240hz monitor was that eye tracking is noticeably way more comfortable. Whether it's moving my mouse, or simply typing this sentence right now. I took these small conveniences for granted. I got so used to it that my brain no longer registers these small conveniences. But to someone who does general computer task, these small conveniences will help that person be more efficient.

not gonna lie though, as a competitive gamer, the only thing i cared about when i bought these 240hz monitors were motion clarity and input lag. But to have these small conveniences such as better eye tracking due to better motion clarity for general use is a huge bonus and is something i subconsciously appreciate without knowing it since i benefit from these conveniences daily.
2. Refresh rate headroom for improved strobe quality[/b]
Some monitors are tuned in such a way to get superior low-Hz strobing. Well-tuned 120fps@120Hz strobing on a 240Hz panel can be superior to well-tuned 120fps@120Hz strobing on a 144Hz panel. This does not happen to all panels (Example: ELMB-SYNC algorithms) but when the panel is tuned to their absolute scientific maximum potential for flashed-backlight motion-blur-reduction algorithms, the way GtG can be hidden between refresh cycles, is easier with faster-velocity refresh cycles with longer-delays between refresh cycles. (120Hz = half of the time refreshing, half of the time idling to finish GtG, during a 240Hz operation)

3. Flexibility for variety of games
You can manually switch to a fixed-Hz 144Hz operation which often has better overdrive than 144Hz VRR.

4. FreeSync quality varies a lot
Some of them have reasonably serviceable VRR overdrive, better than the worst native G-SYNC (even native G-SYNC can vary in quality).

5. Lower input lag for lower Hz
Framerate-capped VRR is a very good "low lag VSYNC ON" technique. This is useful for fixed-framerate games as well as emulators.

There are other reasons to get high refresh rates that are application specific or doesn't even have anything to do with games.
with freesync monitors; the quality of the scaler and overdrive tuning is hit or miss. Yeah, i can cap the refresh rate to a lower refresh rate, but certain freesync scalers have wonky scan rates/scan times or wonky overdrive tuning(example. switching to TF 40 because TF 20 has more inverse ghosting). I generally stick to games that i get 240hz FPS easily and that is rocket league. I do play other games where the framerate is below the refresh rate and in my opinion, the microstutters that i've experienced and the ghosting(because freesync monitors tend to have a fixed voltage) was way too annoying for me to tolerate. I generally PREFER not to use a freesync monitor for gaming if i cannot match the FPS i get from the game to the 240hz refresh rate. I switch to my g-sync monitor (Xg270qg) if i play games where the FPS is lower than its max refresh rate.

i just assumed that when ppl buy these 240hz monitors, they too have the framerate to match. but boy I was wrong. I guess some people are more tolerant to micro stutters and tearing than I am.

Speaking of strobing and adaptyve sync/vrr, i will address those things on my next post when i write the vg259qm/mag251rx/vg279qm/odysseyg7 reviews. I'm just waiting for TFT to post the odyssey g7 review first.
I really don't understand why playing a game at 60fps (example) or 240fps would make any difference in ghosting or inverse ghosting when playing at a fixed 240hz refresh rate without any syncing technology. Doesn't the monitor just keep outputing the same number of frames (240 per second)? Then the values for pixel response time and overshoot should still be the same, right? Only thing happening is the gpu is providing 4 duplicate frames for every refresh cycle (in this example), right? So then why would ghosting be worse?
I ask because I want to get a 240hz monitor to be future proof, but my main game is quake champions, a very poorly optimized game in which I only get like 150 fps on lowest settings.

Boomchakadah

Post by Boomchakadah » 02 Oct 2020, 00:07

shin_ra_ban_sho wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 20:18
I really don't understand why playing a game at 60fps (example) or 240fps would make any difference in ghosting or inverse ghosting when playing at a fixed 240hz refresh rate without any syncing technology. Doesn't the monitor just keep outputing the same number of frames (240 per second)? Then the values for pixel response time and overshoot should still be the same, right? Only thing happening is the gpu is providing 4 duplicate frames for every refresh cycle (in this example), right? So then why would ghosting be worse?
I ask because I want to get a 240hz monitor to be future proof, but my main game is quake champions, a very poorly optimized game in which I only get like 150 fps on lowest settings.
At 240Hz with FreeSync/G-sync turned off, the ghosting/overdrive performance is the same regardless of the frame rate. when you're getting 60fps at 240Hz (with FreeSync/Gync off), the gameplay will just look extremely stuttery because of those duplicate frames.
VG258QM 280Hz TN (main)| XG2431 240Hz IPS | XL2540K 240Hz TN | XV252Q 1080p 280Hz IPS | XL2546K 1080p 240hz TN | AW2518HF 1080p 240Hz TN | XV240YP 1080p 165Hz IPS | XG2402 1080p 144hz TN | 27GL83A 1440p 144Hz IPS | XL2411P 144Hz TN | XF240H 144Hz TN

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 02 Oct 2020, 01:03

Boomchakadah wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 00:07
At 240Hz with FreeSync/G-sync turned off, the ghosting/overdrive performance is the same regardless of the frame rate. when you're getting 60fps at 240Hz (with FreeSync/Gync off), the gameplay will just look extremely stuttery because of those duplicate frames.
But with more motion blur, simply because of the lower FPS. Some people confuse motion blur with ghosting.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

shin_ra_ban_sho

Post by shin_ra_ban_sho » 02 Oct 2020, 15:01

RealNC wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 01:03
Boomchakadah wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 00:07
But with more motion blur, simply because of the lower FPS. Some people confuse motion blur with ghosting.
So, if I get this right, the motion blur would be worse than playing at 240 fps because of persistence, right?
But, would running a game at 120fps on these 240hz monitors (fixed refresh rate) have more ghosting or motion blur that running at 120fps on a 120hz monitor?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Oct 2020, 19:28

shin_ra_ban_sho wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 15:01
So, if I get this right, the motion blur would be worse than playing at 240 fps because of persistence, right?
But, would running a game at 120fps on these 240hz monitors (fixed refresh rate) have more ghosting or motion blur that running at 120fps on a 120hz monitor?
120fps looks identical in motionblur at 120Hz, 240Hz and 360Hz (at the same GtG pixel response).

Mathematically, Blur Busters Law is really based on the sample-and-hold effect, 1ms of frametime translates to 1 pixel of persistence-related motionblur per 1000 pixels/sec, ignoring GtG effects (which adds more blur) and fps-vs-Hz aliasing effects (stutters and/or blur). Those who have read the 1000Hz Display Journey article or the Pixel Response FAQ: GtG versus MPRT, will be familiar with this image:

In other words, doubling frame rate is what you need to do to halve motion blur, as long as you still have refreshrate headroom.

You also want good refresh scanout pacing (either multiple Hz for fixed-Hz, or framerate within VRR range for variable-Hz) to prevent stutters being added to the soup of motion artifacts (such as display-enforced motion blur).

To minimize motionblur, you want as much framerate as possible. If you plan to keep your display for long time (through multiple GPU upgrades) and you really really hate motionblur -- then it is in your interests to get the highest refresh rates you can afford for your display size and resolution.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

kofman13

Post by kofman13 » 04 Oct 2020, 11:39

RLCScontender wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 23:34
kofman13 wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 09:26
I just wanna chime in here i haven't even visited blur busters in two months because ive been loving my new monitor so much. but i just wanna say Acer XB273X is hands down the best monitor ive ever tried. $499 well spent lmao (rip wallet)
had my predator xb273 x NOT have a dead pixel, i would still be owning it right now. OD Off in my opinion is the xb273 x best overdrive settting.

I miss its variable overdrive. it was among the best feature about the ONLY native 240hz IPS monitor.

@thasios, i owned FOUR msi mag251rxs, all FOUR of them had different white balance for the optimal 6500k requirement. If you meant lowing the gain(color temperature) Red/Green/BLue, that is unique to your monitor. Essentially, you can adjust it to control the OD voltage for some odd reason. (don't ask me why). I was able to successfully do it on some monitors(including the mag251rx), then again ever since i found out the msi had the best motion clarity at 240hz, there's really NO NEED to do it. Just put it on "fast" and you are good to go.

Here's an example. The Predator xb273 x, i was able to lower the overshoot from 6% to 2.5% just by controlling the RGB(color temperature). Unfortunately, each unit is different. But generally speaking. lowering red and green by increments of 5 is usually the first thing I do.

Before(UFO on the LEFT) (ufo on the right is the aw2521HFL, my current main)

damn i just used OD "Normal" out of the box. ill try off layer
After(UFO on the left) (UFO on the right is the aw2521HFL, my current MAIN)

the Alienware AW2521HFL #3 in overall motion clarity vs the Samsung Odyssey G7 27"

image storage

Here's a sample of the upcoming odyssey g7 27"(0/10) and odyssey g7 32" (1/10) review) part 4( i have 6 parts)

(0.5/10)

TDSlam720

Post by TDSlam720 » 07 Oct 2020, 15:21

Has anyone here owned the VG259QM and another 24.5 inch 1080p monitor? I recently got the VG259QM and cannot get over how grainy the image is. As incredible as the motion is for gaming, it's really hard to get over the grain. Looks similar or worse my old Hanns G 27 inch from over a decade ago which was one of the first cheapo 27 inch 1080P panels. I'm wondering if this is just the DPI or something inherent to the Asus, such as over aggressive matte coating. Is the MAG251rx perhaps more clear?

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 08 Oct 2020, 06:38

TDSlam720 wrote:
07 Oct 2020, 15:21
Has anyone here owned the VG259QM and another 24.5 inch 1080p monitor? I recently got the VG259QM and cannot get over how grainy the image is. As incredible as the motion is for gaming, it's really hard to get over the grain. Looks similar or worse my old Hanns G 27 inch from over a decade ago which was one of the first cheapo 27 inch 1080P panels. I'm wondering if this is just the DPI or something inherent to the Asus, such as over aggressive matte coating. Is the MAG251rx perhaps more clear?
it's grainy because you didn't color calibrate the monitor correctly, and thus it amplifies the matte covering. You have to get the white balance to 6500k(you can use your camera). That or you are really really susceptible to the matte covering. I've bought plenty of these and the VG279QM was the ONLY monitor that gave me issues with the grainy look.

the mag251rx and the vg259qm uses the same exact matte and same exact AU Optronics panel. How do I know? i bought both of them.