05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Northwood

Re: 04/18/2020. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by Northwood » 20 May 2020, 04:32

RLCScontender wrote:
19 May 2020, 13:46
RLCScontender wrote:
17 May 2020, 17:46
Acer Predator XB273 x review-----MAY 17th 2020. The only Native G-sync IPS 240hz monitor.

UPDATE

I'm keeping the acer predator xb273 x. The excellent low input lag was more noticeable than the slower pixel response time of 4.3ms because when i compared to to my MSi MAG251rx, i hardly noticed any difference in practice(although the MSI MAG251rx was slightly more clear due to a 3ms g2g average.

I graphed out the data @ 60hz native refresh rate input lag for the MSI MAG251rx and i got about 25ms input lag(2.4ms input lag at 240hz). Keep in mind, 25ms is above average becuase if you compare it to the Asus VG279qm/VG259qm the input lag @60gz that i graphed out is around 37-40ms. Difference is the g2g average is still 3ms @60hz, but because the refresh rate is lower, it's not as CLEAR compared to 240hz. Higher refresh gives better motion clarity regardless of g2g average.

yes, the Acer Predator/Acer Nitro(THEY ARE ALL THE SAME PANEL) although on the slow end on PEAK performance, the ridiculously low input lag make up for it(2ms for the predator, 1.6ms for the acer nitro xv273x).Both also have excellent input lag at 144hz and 60hz, at around 13ms. That may not sound "good" but if you compare it to the asus(40ms the worst i've measured) and the MSI(25ms), i was able to play Smash bros ultimate wayyyyy better on the acer predator 240hz ips.

tlld;lr

it all comes down to what you value the most. Peak performance vs low input lag. I'm keeping both the MSI(peak performance) ANd the predator(low input lag) and i will not return either monitor. I will have to flip a coin in the next 4-5 months when the 360hz alienware IPS monitor come out on which i should sell.
So you think the Acer XV273X is a better deal than the Asus VG279QM?
The original price is about the same.

rasmas

Re: 04/18/2020. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by rasmas » 20 May 2020, 11:13

If you don't mind me asking: as you have the Acer Predator xb273 x, the MSI optix MAG251rx and the LG 27gl850, have you noticed if any causes more eye strain, or if you feel more comfortable with one than the others despite it can "lack" of something?

Also, just asking for sometime on the (long) future if you ever have time or ever want to do it, if you don't mind (again if you want or have time someday), could i ask a video showing the horizontal viewing angles (the most extreme of them) with same -not too dark- background (if you can share the background so i can test myself, i'd appreciate it too). I know this is an annoying petition, and maybe it won't show what i expect, so just ignore it without worries ;) . (maybe a photo would be enough)

Thanks anyway ;) .

ca_Koppin

Post by ca_Koppin » 20 May 2020, 15:23

Rtings has posted their review of the alienware AW2521HF monitor:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/ ... e-aw2521hf

Interesting data on input lag:

Native Resolution: 2.7 ms
Native Resolution @ 60Hz: 9.7 ms
Variable Refresh Rate: 3.1 ms
Variable Refresh Rate @ 60Hz: 12.7 ms

How did the above compare to your data RLCS? Your response time data was exactly the same as theirs at the 3.3ms average using the fast overdrive mode.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 20 May 2020, 16:38

^
^

Due to respect of blurbusters and that website, i will refrain from making any comments specifically about the numbers they got.

not a big fan of how they measure their rise/fall times though. The custom built USB photosensor that they use shouldn't be point blank on the screen because electricity and light of the monitor glass will give variable readings which adds bias to accurate results. At least that's what my professor told everyone when measuring rise teams in the context of changes of light. That is the 1st thing my electrical engineering professor told everyone. Then again, their measurements should only be used relative to THEIR own measurements, and not mine.

also, why they chose the MIDDLE of the monitor baffles me, it should either be on the edges and NOT point blank. That's a big no no. then again, they've probably never taken an electrical engineering class to know photo transistors work.
If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself

here's an example of an incorrect way of measuring it

this is the correct way(at least, that's how MY electrical engineering instructor told everyone in the class on how to do it. You have to have a cover or a cardboard box is ok. (better if it matches what you are measuring. . If you dont' ,the readings will be off. It also helps if you measure it in the edges or corners(or very close to it)

but hey, i'm not a computer expert, never taken a computer science class. Never taken a photography class. My profession is in engineering and a lot of how computer hardware is measured DIRECTLY overlaps with engineering. you can either take THEIR word or mine.

I'm a perfectionist so i'm not the type of person that would let my hundreds of dollars be dictated all because "this reviewer said so". I would rather do it myself.

ca_Koppin

Post by ca_Koppin » 20 May 2020, 17:23

Ha! I figured you may have an opinion on that. This is the hard part about where to go to get accurate information. Or maybe the better word is reference frame. Namely, in reference to the gamer. Not the every day user.

I think you should change page 1 of this thread to add a table for each of the monitors that you tested. I think that's very helpful. Also, on page 1 for the Alienware ranking you state this:

"you have to turn on adaptive sync to make "extreme" overdrive useable."

I was confused by this statement when I first read it. Why? I think that when you turn on Freesync for the monitor, it automatically changes the overdrive to Fast. So even if you set it to faster or extreme, with Freesync turned on, it just locks it to fast. So the reality is that extreme mode is NEVER usable on this monitor without terrible overshoot with Freesyn on or off. It's just that with Freesync on it locks the overdrive to fast.

So now I pose the argument, that if you can drive any game to 240FPS and maintain that FPS, the Alienware is a top tier monitor with overdrive set to normal and Freesync set to off. At least in reference to low response rate and low input lag. It still is lacking in the other areas you mentioned.

This doesn't consider what happens when you cannot maintain 240FPS. Also, the overdrive settings on faster and extreme are probably worthless and shouldnt be leveraged. Where the MSI seems to have better overdrive tuning in your opinion. However, there's also recommendations of what overdrive to leverage on the MSI based on how many FPS you're getting on the game. The average gamer probably wants to set and forget.

It's also hard for the average consumer to really grock what's going on. TN or IPS, this whole 1ms "true" GTG is complete BS.

One thing I can tell you for certain. My kill to death ratio on Apex was 2.0 before this monitor and it's still 2.0 after I got this monitor. Maybe I need a new keyboard? Or is it the mouse? :0

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 20 May 2020, 17:38

i will definitely do a 5/20/2020 update since every thing is already measured. When the weekend draws near, every thing will be posted.

the faster monitiors, a lab oscilloscope was used, not the digital one like this

amazon was pissed off at me for returning them LOL

but that still fell in my 30 day rights so my attorney(my brother) contacted OFM and amazon obliged and gave me 3 months of free PRIME membership and a business sales access, and immunity from harassment from OFM.

Oevi

Post by Oevi » 20 May 2020, 18:12

ca_Koppin wrote:
20 May 2020, 17:23
So now I pose the argument, that if you can drive any game to 240FPS and maintain that FPS, the Alienware is a top tier monitor with overdrive set to normal and Freesync set to off. At least in reference to low response rate and low input lag. It still is lacking in the other areas you mentioned.

This doesn't consider what happens when you cannot maintain 240FPS. Also, the overdrive settings on faster and extreme are probably worthless and shouldnt be leveraged.
So now i am confused, if i can maintain 240hz the Monitor would be perfect for me i think.
What exactly are the drawbacks, if i cant maintain 240hz and the Game is running 100-200 fps? I would have to Turn on adaptive sync and would get a higher Input lag?
Sorry if That is a dumb question, but i am not rly into this 240hz stuff right now. Just trying to find the monitor thats fits to me. Also not sure, if ips is the way to go.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 20 May 2020, 21:06

Will post the aw2521hf response times in a bit and how it performs relative to ALL fast IPS monitor(that $2000 LG ultrawide wont be included). Ima add the viewsonic xg270qg, 27gl850, rog strix xg279q relative to the 240hz IPS monitors.

yup, u have to turn on adaptive sync if the fps is below 240hz, otherwise u will see stuttering, tearing, and judders. Also, make sure u turn on v sync if u want the scaler to synchronize to ur gpu correctly so g sync compatibility will be serviceable.

My fPS is always above 240hz so i never use any form of adaptive sync.

That's the issue with freesync monitors, it doesnt have variable overdrive so anything that is below the refresh rate the performance will go down and inverse ghosting start to creep in. That is the side effect of non native g sync panels.

Another thing, if u are getting under 200 fps, i suggest u get a stronger GPU or calibrate your display for performance.(example. lowering resolution ). Bcuz if ur not getting 240hz fps, then the refresh rate is counter productive

Dirty Scrubz

Post by Dirty Scrubz » 20 May 2020, 22:24

RLCScontender wrote:
17 May 2020, 17:46
Acer Predator XB273 x review-----MAY 17th 2020. The only Native G-sync IPS 240hz monitor.

I wouldn't really sweat the 4 ms g2g, the input lag is still pretty great (if these numbers are accurate). How was the ULMB brightness?

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 20 May 2020, 23:46

i don't have the hardware to measure luminance but it got pretty dim. Fortunately, i have "controlmyapp" which i can add more luminance regardless of the pulse widith is maxed out(without comproming color gradient and color accuracy like the nvidia app does0. Unfortunately, you can only strobe at 144hz, 120hz which sucks(Xb273 x acer predator, the same with the TN)

it's a 240hz monitor, why strobe at 144hz when i can get more motion clarity. ima check the strobing and see if there's any crosstalk. As of right now, it's not in my train of thought to strobe at 144hz on a 240hz monitor knowing that I can easily get 360hz FPS in rocket league.

You guys were right. I uncapped the FPS way above 250hz(360hz-440hz fluctuating) on rocket league and the tearing was noticeable because there was so much of them. yes, it's not as noticeable at 240hz, but the amount of times the tearing dissipates makes the 2/3s half of my monitor blurry. Looks like it pays to cap the FPS close to where your max refresh rate. For RL it's 250 which isn't bad on a 240hz refresh monitor.

anyway, @ what percentage do ppl here find overshoot annoying? For the 25" alienware, it was about 15% overshoot on Super-fast and it was definitely playable at 240hz. The overshoot that i saw was just a subtle blue glow but really no trailing artefacts that i saw. The blue glow was sort of distracting but ppl would assume it's part of the game if they didn't try the "fast" mode first.