Benefits from Sony MotionFlow Impulse when NOT at 60fps/Hz?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
SeeNoWeevil

Benefits from Sony MotionFlow Impulse when NOT at 60fps/Hz?

Post by SeeNoWeevil » 21 Apr 2014, 16:46

How does Sony's Impulse MotionFlow mode behave and is it beneficial for non 60fps content like;

30fps games
24fps Blu-ray
Streamed TV content (i.e Netflix) output at 60Hz (Chromecast seems to always output at 60Hz)

My Sony W8 also has a 'Clear Plus' mode which is a mixture of interpolation and BFI, what is going on there?

Thanks

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Benefits from Sony MotionFlow Impulse when NOT at 60fps/

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Apr 2014, 19:29

It would look similiar to 30fps@60Hz CRT -- double image effect.
And 24fps@60Hz CRT -- good old fashioned judder from the 3:2 pulldown

Interpolation and BFI are usually combined, as found at http://www.blurbusters.com/existing-tech
It's useful for movies/video/sports but adds too much input lag for games, unlike the pure-backlight-based-BFI technique that Motionflow Impulse uses (backlight strobing, similar to LightBoost).

Interpolation is often used to increase the strobe rate above flicker fusion threshold. Since good motion blur elimination requires that strobing be limited to 1 strobe per frame (unique refresh cycle), avoiding interpolation means you can only strobe at a low rate (e.g. 60fps@60Hz). Using interpolation can allow 120fps or 240fps, allowing a more comfortably flicker-free 120Hz strobing or 240Hz strobing, to similuate a "960Hz look" (e.g. Motionflow XR 960 or Samsung Clear Motion Ratio 960, found in high-end HDTVs). Strobing is a more pure form of motion blur elimination, that is more lag-free and artifact-free (with current technology).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

SeeNoWeevil

Post by SeeNoWeevil » 22 Apr 2014, 07:16

Chief Blur Buster wrote:It would look similiar to 30fps@60Hz CRT -- double image effect.
Would pure BFI on 30fps@60Hz give a higher motion resolution though than running without it? I'm not sure I see much difference in motion image quality with Impulse enabled/disabled completely at 30fps to be honest.

I'm guessing the combined BFI/interpolation mode on my Sony creates additional frames so the frame rate can match the refresh rate (say for 24fps blu-ray) and double image effect is removed (albeit with some Soap Opera Effect). It's brighter and less flickery than pure BFI, which means it's boosting it past 60fps/Hz I guess.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Apr 2014, 08:10

SeeNoWeevil wrote:Would pure BFI on 30fps@60Hz give a higher motion resolution though than running without it? I'm not sure I see much difference in motion image quality with Impulse enabled/disabled completely at 30fps to be honest.
View Sony Motionflow Impulse with http://www.testufo.com -- enable/disable Impulse while viewing this.
You will see 60fps become dramatically clearer, while seeing 30fps turn from a blur to a double-image effect. Also, the image becomes a triple effect at 20fps@60Hz, the number of image effect is (Hertz/framerate), until framerates become too low and it's just simply stutter.
SeeNoWeevil wrote:I'm guessing the combined BFI/interpolation mode on my Sony creates additional frames so the frame rate can match the refresh rate (say for 24fps blu-ray) and double image effect is removed (albeit with some Soap Opera Effect).
Correct, the interpolation will turn 30fps@60Hz into 60fps@60Hz or 120fps@120Hz or 240fps@240Hz, and all of that will eliminate the double image effect, and everything looks smooth, albiet with the soap opera effect.
SeeNoWeevil wrote:It's brighter and less flickery than pure BFI, which means it's boosting it past 60fps/Hz I guess.
Yes, the black periods during BFI gets shorter during higher refresh rates, so it's more efficient from a light-output perspective.

All a matter of tradeoffs. For games/interactive/computer use, it is often preferable to avoid interpolation (high lag), and only use pure BFI techniques (low lag), which means we've got the flicker, as well as the 30fps@60Hz double-image compromise, but really good-looking 60fps@60Hz motion without the soap opera artifacts.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!