Acer Nitro XF252Q - Im so impressed with motion blur clarity.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
vlkfree

Re: Acer Nitro XF252Q - Im so impressed with motion blur clarity.

Post by vlkfree » 26 Apr 2020, 11:21

wrote:
26 Apr 2020, 10:44

if i were u, i would. If you intend to keep a purchase for the next 3-4. there's NO reason to have the best right now. Thten again, that's just my opinion.

keep in mind, the predator hasn't been tested on the lower refresh rates. at 144hz or 60hz, so if the predator has faster g2g on those. In my opinion, had acer not botch the "extreme" overdrive, or there was a middle ground overdrive setting from normal overdrive to extreme, it would've been great and possibly faster than the MSi. But sadly, extreme overdrive on the acer has too much overshoot, the MSI just has better overdrive tuning.

btw they are both the same panel. But the FASTEST overdrive for each are different. One has enormous overshoot, the other(MSI) does not. Be mindful of quality control. Acer vietnam isn't axactly known for "quality" and there have been complaints about stuck pixels after a few weeks of usage

ok thank you

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 26 Apr 2020, 11:23

I would. Does that look like 0.5ms to you? much less 1ms as they claimed?

it looks like 4ms-4.5ms to me.

here. your friend Forii did the work for me

seems to me, the vg259qm on 60(80 is the optimal overdrive at 240hz) ovedrive seems to be clearer than your 240hz acer predator(normal overdrive)

and i agree with him

forii

Post by forii » 26 Apr 2020, 11:38

Alright, not gonna argue with that guy above.

Back to topic guys because I know I want TN, and i forgot about IPS for a while, due to insane clear visibility on my Acer right now.

What you guys think about latest Acer Predator XN253QX? I heard its even better than Acer Nitro XF252Q, but it cost much more, i can get it for 500 USD, vs 300 usd (acer). Hmm, I wonder if I will see much more difference, sadly there is no reviev about input lag or anything.
Is it only g sync version of the XF252Q? if so, then its not worth lol

Jasa

Post by Jasa » 26 Apr 2020, 13:27

I'm pretty sure it's only the G-Sync version. Super not worth it, also arguably worse in some aspects since it comes with ULMB which doesn't do 240hz strobing.

Your comments on the extreme mode also fall in line with the tftcentral review, where they found that it made no discernible difference also (outside of the reduced brightness).

Definitely my next monitor if it wasn't impossible to get in the States rn. My old VG248QE needs an upgrade (although it has served me well).

masneb

Post by masneb » 26 Apr 2020, 13:52

I am also not going to believe the IPS claims that are floating around here. It's like people read '1ms response time' on the box and are taking it for face value.

That being said,the things I've definitely noticed with my XF252Q and has become annoying is when the framerate goes up and down very fast, like 200 to 60 and back up again it makes extremely noticeable brightness changes. In addition to that I use a mirrored primary display and whenever I alt-tab into a game it causes the game to stop for like 5s and the monitor to re-engage freesync.

Also something I'll note with the XF, when I bought it I was certain at some point they changed the panels after the initial production run. I have no proof of that, but due to defects I was getting it seemed like at some point I received a slower panel compared to my initial two panels I bought when it first came out, which reviews were based off of.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Apr 2020, 14:27

RLCScontender wrote:
25 Apr 2020, 23:31
But my pursuit camera is the most accurate since i got it DIRECTLY straight from the monitor myself.
RLCScontender wrote:
26 Apr 2020, 10:24
The UFO tests don't lie bud.
However, it is subject to interpretation.

Pursuit camera work is amazing to execute -- but:

I would not say "truth" or "lie" because everybody sees differently, including seeing the photo.

Elements from camera-adjustment issues (on how things are accurately photographed, to following pursuit instructions) to vision behavior differences between humans (on seeing results of photo), even for well-intentioned photographs, means it can become flamebait to use the word "truth" or "lie" -- and that includes you.

Science papers or research papers buttress the truth (as can a well-taken pursuit photo from a good camera) but don't self-use the words "truth" or "lie" for many obvious reasons like these.

Pursuit photos are a great show and tell. The WYISIWYG is a best-effort and hard to make perfect given differences on how displays vs camera technology, camera technique, human eyes on the original diplay, human eyes on the resulting display. Often the photographed result shown on the same display is more accurate than the photographed result shown on a different display. AND on top of that, different human visions can impart different gamma-behaviours (e.g. can't see the dim colors or dim ghosts as well as the next human). Whether looking at original motion or the photographed motion (that goes through camera distortion and third-party-monitor distortion).

So there are multiple weak links as a Fair Disclosure.
  • Camera used (and flaws within)
  • Photography technique (and flaws within)
  • Whether the photo is retouched (including 'white hat' retouchings like a post-shoot exposure compensation)
  • How the remote computer displays the photo (different photo viewers/browsers can show the same photo slightly differently)
  • How the remote display shows the photo (by that computer)
  • How the remote person sees the resulting photo (on that monitor)
So there can be layers of visual distortions added (like a repeat-photocopying that degrades) -- human vision-wise or hardware-wise -- even though it's so vastly superior (compared to past inventions) method of representing motion blur results -- it is still prone to layers like that.

Yes, even the last bullet. The remote human seeing the resulting photo on a different monitor. Even a WYSIWYG printout of a Word document looks different to a different human, for example a dyslexic sometimes sees continually jumbling text example, or see distorted color multiple examples of partial color blindnesses or you have focussing or astigmatism issues (need glasses), or you have motion blindness (Akinetopsia), or other condition, partial or full-fledged, diagnosed or undiagnosed. Even outside these silos/umbrellas, different eyes and/or human brains add different kinds of weird noises and/or distortions to what they are seeing. This can completely make them unusually sensitive to one thing (tearing or blurring or coronas or stutter or color etc) and unusually insensitive to other aspects (tearing or blurring or coronas or stutter or color etc). There can be a preference aspect but there can also be a eye/brain limitation aspect too. Likewise, a different set of human eyes can see something totally different on a resulting photo even if it's a perfect photo. TL;DR: Different humans see differently

The fact is person A may prefer monitor 1 over 2 (Genuinely seen both). And person B may prefer monitor 2 over 1 (Genuinely seen both). Even without these photos!

Also -- even in simpler contexts -- for example -- it even applies to web page design. Look at the sides of the forum in a desktop browser. The black checkerboard-flag background on the left/right of the forum sidebar is much brighter on some monitors, and totally black background on different monitors or different human eyes. And monitors can have different gamma. And camera settings can also distort the gamma. And distorted yet again when that same photo is displayed on a different monitor. Etc.

Scientific/researcher discourse needs to be tempered/nuanced by the acknowledgement of the limtiations of testing. We can do our best to perfect it (e.g. purchase a camera like a Sony Alpha a6XXX series, teach oneself an accurate manual technique, use a camera rail) so that our camera and technique have minimal error factors, and the photograph is relatively accurate. But it can never be a perfect photon-to-photon record given different displays, computers, humans, etc.

Pursuit camera photos are the best-ever invented way to easily photograph display motion blur.

But results often have to be interpreted through the lens of all of these limitations and error factors (camera-wise, camera-technique-wise and vision-wise). This is generally why I don't want any polar aguments about truth-or-lie. This only manufactures flamebait accidentially (even if not intentional). The wording, the bolding, and the all-caps, thusly, create a window opening for disagreements, under the lens of display research discourse. In other words, keep an open mind when writing your words.

Pursuit camera photos have known challenges just like measuring GtG, even though pursuit camera has greatly simplified the show-and-tell. But there are innate limitations on how it's reliably communicated.

Pursuit camera is the most perfect way to do it, but still necessarily imperfect (humankind-wise).

Appreciated!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!