As the guy who tested every 240hz IPS monitor, this is the beginning of the end for TN monitors.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
RLCSContender*

As the guy who tested every 240hz IPS monitor, this is the beginning of the end for TN monitors.

Post by RLCSContender* » 26 Apr 2020, 03:08

I'm sure some people may disagree and all i ask is to not be condescending and disrespectful. If you disagree, feel free to quote what i said and state your rebuttle. Thank you.

Simply put, the fastest IPS monitors right now are just as fast(if not faster) than most TN monitors. TN was known for their fast response time technology. That was their selling point; by having faster response times than VA and IPS. While IPS focuses on excellent color accuracy, color uniformity, viewing angles. And VA focusing on excellent contrast ratios and images, and good viewing angles. It all used to be a balance. TN=fast IPS=color accurate+viewing angles excellent VA=jack of all trades

Nowadays, there are IPS monitors that can basically do what TN was known for(fast response times), but also keep their excellent viewing angles and color accuracy for content creation or simply gaming. it does it so well that if you play a game, you won't even notice a difference gaming on a fast IPS monitor or a TN monitor.

With the surge of 240hz IPS monitor, the gap is pretty much sealed and closed to the point that a trivial advantages o g2g response times from TN is redundant and really not necessary and noticeable anyway at very high framerates/refresh rates. If people tell you otherwise, they are lying to you or they won't provide an actual gameplay video stating that "see i see more blur here".

i owned a TN monitor called the HP Omen X 27. It was a 1440p 240hz TN monitor. I remember that if the monitor wasn't directly in front of my face, there is a bad shift of colors. And even if the monitor was directly in front of me, because of how bad the colors were and how cheap the monitor is, i'm able to see distortion in the corners. If i want to recline my chair to relax and watch a youtube video, i can't because any shift in my head movement will also shift the colors(especially vertically and horizontally). WHen it comes to gaming, although i do notice smooth gameplay, i'm not able to recline my chair because of how bad the verticle shifts were on the omen and all of TN monitors.

also, from my recollection, any white background looked like a cat pissed on it(yellow tint), not to mention extremely grainy backgrounds, etc. , and the corners of the monitor was extremely distorted. The colors aren't good either because it's not accurate. It's bland and washed out and any color shift will make it look like someone pooped on the monitor.

So to say how bad the viewing angles are is an understatement. You can't watch movies, u def. don't want to play ps5 games on it bcuz of how bad the game will look on the monitor.

TN loyalists will find every little evidence to claim that "TN" is better. But in reality, that is just confirmation bias. The 240hz IPS monitors and the TN monitors in the context of gameplay, It's nearly impossible to tell apart. (especially since i have the fastest IPS 240hz monitor in the world, the mag251rx, if i were to purchase a TN right now, i won't even notice much increase in performance

just watch any youtube video of them experimenting with the 240hz IPS monitors, 99% of them claim they don't "notice a difference, just better colors". At this point, the gap is basically VERY CLOSE

the fastest IPS monitors are 3ms, the fastest tn monitors are 2ms. a 1ms difference(which doesn't matter at 240hz anyway since motion clarity is already excellent enough as it is and anymore improvements in g2g averages are not necessary and redundant.

I hate to tell everyone the truth but the fast IPS monitors are here and any differences in perfomrance is negligible or non-existent to the point where buying a TN is simply not worth it anymore.

mello

Re: As the guy who tested every 240hz IPS monitor, this is the beginning of the end for TN monitors.

Post by mello » 26 Apr 2020, 06:49

RLCScontender wrote:
26 Apr 2020, 03:08
TN loyalists will find every little evidence to claim that "TN" is better.
Price is also important for many gamers. And in that regard, TN always beats IPS. There are many people who do not care about colors, viewing angles, etc. and they will always choose BEST PERFORMANCE (either lowest input lag or lowest motion blur), even if this advantage is shown only on paper and does not really translate to reality when gaming. Basically, some people care only about the numbers, both when it comes to price and performance on paper and TN always comes out on top.
RLCScontender wrote:
26 Apr 2020, 03:08
I hate to tell everyone the truth but the fast IPS monitors are here and any differences in perfomrance is negligible or non-existent to the point where buying a TN is simply not worth it anymore.
I hope that is true, but honestly i wish we would never have entered into LCD era in the first place. I loved playing on CRT and personally i think LCD is just a long transition period (way to long...) to something superior that will eventually came in the future.

AddictFPS

Re: As the guy who tested every 240hz IPS monitor, this is the beginning of the end for TN monitors.

Post by AddictFPS » 26 Apr 2020, 11:41

I also think IPS 240Hz is now better for overall gamers, with the only exception of pure competitive gaming, where TN is used in FPS tournaments. And yes, even in competitive, difference is small. But competitive is WIN, so TN :D
i have the fastest IPS 240hz monitor in the world, the mag251rx
Recent MSI MAG251RX has the same AUO panel that ACER XV253QX, which was launched on the market before.

Moreover, Acer Display is part AUO Corporation panel manufacturer. So, in teory, we will never see any MSI with AUO panel, be launched to the market before Acer do it.

If you read response times diferences betwhen these two models, is just different OD applied, and more OD on the same panel can be the difference between overshot and overshot free. Panel "lottery" does the rest.

Not all monitor reviews measure GtG in the same way, so we have a problem ! This is the fustration :(

Really hard to believe, MSI, beginner in monitor market, can beat Acer, brand mixed with AUO, referent in this industry, and MSI using the "Acer" panel... and more cheap. It would be strange.

Price is also important for many gamers. And in that regard, TN always beats IPS.
Now in europe, two last generation high end FHD 240Hz monitors:

Viewsonic XG270 27" IPS FHD 240Hz 500€
BenQ Zowie XL2746S 27" TN FHD 240Hz 630€

Where is the price advantage ? :shock:
I hope that is true, but honestly i wish we would never have entered into LCD era in the first place. I loved playing on CRT and personally i think LCD is just a long transition period (way to long...) to something superior that will eventually came in the future.
Very weel said ! Same here, 21" Professional CRT monitor in good state and calibrated, with Sunix DPU3000 DisplayPort to VGA adapter (input lag free "microsecond"), waiting LCD that can beat it in motion quality ;)

They have not 100% succeeded, but the XG270 strobing at 100Hz is a good replacement if unfortunately...