MSI OPTIX MAG251RX Review by RLCSContender

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
RLCSContender*

MSI OPTIX MAG251RX Review by RLCSContender

Post by RLCSContender* » 26 Apr 2020, 11:34

Moderator Alert wrote:January 14th, 2021
Thread Locked
See Reason
Forum Moderation Note wrote:EDIT by Forum Moderator Team: Threads on same monitor by same OP were merged.
The "MSI OPTIX MAG251RX Review by RLCSContender" post begins on Page 6.
Keep in mind. I'm no "MSI" schill. I'm not here as an affiliate marketer for them. As a matter of fact, i TRASHED the MSI Optix mag251rx since at the time, i had no other 240hz ips to compare it to. But upon trying out and testing every other 240hz ips monitor, i thought to msyelf "OMG, i had the best 240hz ips monitor, I can't believe i returned it". btw, i meant "faster" overdrive, what a dumb typo LOL

march 31, 2020

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6543
RLCScontender wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 15:24
Just returned the MSI MAG251rx just now. It's a wide gamut monitor with no sRGB which is a major dealbreaker. i measured at 111% sRGB. The stand is pretty bad and clunky. If your monitor falls down, it will crack easily. not to mention the overly tacky gamer aesthetics and "esports"

The only redeeming factor is the response time and ridiculously low input lag This is by far the fastest IPS monitor i've ever tested. (it's way faster than my viewsonic xg270qg even with its variable overdrive). I used two sources to measure response time(Eizo and this website). Average g2g was a whopping 3.1ms(that is better than most high end TN monitors). This was measured at 80 overdrive at its 240hz refresh rate. Even on lower refresh rates, the g2g average never goes above 4ms. That means this is good for console gaming.

The backlight strobing is actually above average(yes, you can strobe at 240hz). I tried it and i didn't see much difference, except the screen got dimmer. I dont' see the point of using backlight strobing if your FPS is running above 200 on this monitor because it's already buttery smooth without it. i Truly belileve this is the fastest 240hz IPS monitor right now. Gaming aside, everything else is atrocious

Poor/clunky stand and bad ergonomics.
No sRGB mode to clamp the oversaturation. Everything will be washed out
HDR is crap, dont' even turn it on. It has about 1100:1 contrast ratio, but there will be a lot of input lag.
Monitor aesthetics is not visually pleasing whatsoever(especially with its tacky esports logo and color)

in terms of perfomance, this monitor delivers. However, i'm willing to trade a slightly less response time for srgb mode, better stand, etc because at this low of a response time, it's really imperceptible (especially among other 240hz monitors).

I don't recommend this monitor even as a side monitor for gaming because everything else outside of gaming is pretty bad. There are other monitors(it will probably be slower than the msi mag251rx but with better aesthetics, has sRGB mode, and better ergonomics, etc) because a slightly faster response time from 3.1 to 3.6 is negligible). . In general though, if i was NOT comparing this monitor relative to other high end 240hz monitors, this is a phenomenal. Then again, the 240hz 1080p market for IPS panels is starting to get competitive(and perhaps oversaturated).

Next up is the VG279qm. I purchased it through amazon and it's coming in a couple of days. Can't wait to try it out

RLCSContender*

Re: MSI optix MAG251rx, the #1 ranked 240hz IPS monitor and the best overall competitive IPS monitor PERIOD.

Post by RLCSContender* » 26 Apr 2020, 12:32

phpBB [video]

AMong other 240hz ips monitors

Color gamut=#1

#1 MSi Optix mag251rx (10 bit signal, 1 billion colors 80 DCI-p3 72% adobe).
#2 every other 240z ips monitor(8 bit signal, 16 million colors)

PRICE=#2
1. Asus vg259qm ($320)
2. $360 USD (MSI optix mag251rx)
3. $380 USD acer predator xb259q gx
4. $400+ USD every other 240hz monitor
5. dead last Dell alienware aw2521hf ($510)

overall Fastest (every thing is allowed including gimmicks to reduce motion blur and overshoot =#3
#1 Asus TUF VG279qm/VG259qm-->280hz>>>>240hz. Although a 4ms g2g average, elmb-sync and +40hz mitigate motion blur(which is the sole purpose of having a low g2g average). A side by side video will confirm this. it's the fastest monitor in the world right now. Faster than even the fastest TN
#2 alienware aw251hf--->extreme overdrive at 2.6ms (double certified g sync/freesync ON to mitigate overshoot)
#3. MSI Mag251rx 3.0-3.1ms

FASTEST= g2g average #1

#1 MSI Optix MAG251rx(3ms) little to no overshoot(only in early transitions which is NOT noticeable at 240hz.
#2 alienware aw2521hf 5ms (standard), 2.6ms extreme, ultra fast(3.6ms). Optimal is 4ms standard, anything higher gives overshoot unless free sync/g-sync is on(which adds input lag and it's NOT worth it). it's a DOUBLe certified freesync/gsync compatible. which explains overshoot mitigation if its on. (any form of adaptive sync is USELESS on 240hz monitors, the added input lag is simply not worth it unless you have motion blur reduction in conjunction of it)
#2 Asus vg279qm/vg259qm (4ms)=/=(3.6ms)
#3 AW2520HFxg270 viewsonic (4ms), the fastest 1st generation 240hz ips monitor
#4 viewsonic elite xg270/acer predator xb253q gx (4.3-4.5ms)
#5 Last PLACE LG 27gn750/acer nitro/etc etc (4.4-5 ms)(among the slowest)

Color uniformity, Color accuracy and viewing angles=#2
#1 LG 27gn750--> 99% true SRGB compliance and more accurate than the MSI. This is BY A MILE(not even close)
#2 MSI optix mag251rx-->99-111% srgb 80% dci-p3 with oversaturation. (1 billion colors on 10 bit mitigate i color banding thanks to dithering and FRC)
#3 viewsonic elite xg270-->no bad color uniformity like the other AHVA
#4. every other IPS 240hz monitor
#5 last place ASUS TUF Vg259qm/vg279qm--->has the worst color uniformity of them all. The monitor will look grainy if you look at it. Whites will like a cat pissed on it, background looks extremely grainy.

Stand=LAST place
Last place-->MSi optix mag251rx. Height is good, everything else is plastic/clunky. no swivel, no rotation, etc

input lag=#1
#1 it's a 4 way tie (AW2521hf, MAG251rx, Asus vg279qm/vg259qm, acer predator xb253q gx) or any AHVA IPS monitor

Console gaming and overdrive tuning=#1
#1 MSI MAG251rx--->"faster" gives lilttle to no overshoot from 44hz-240hz. u want 3ms response time playing halo 7 on the xbox series x at 60-120hz? no problem. 2.4-2.6 input lag? on ps5? no problem. The tuning is PERFECT
#2 every other 240hz ips monitor 4.6++ms g2g with roughly 6-8ms input lag

backlight strobing=#2

#1. viewsonic elite xg270 by a landslide(tuned by chief himself), the least crosstalk and super clear image. Rivals that of the #1 ranked MPRT monitor ASUS at 280hz
#2 MSI optix mag251rx (240hz backlight strobin and crosstalk isn't as aggressive as ELMB-SYNC). It's however too dim(PM me for the workaround)
#2. ASus TUF VG259qm/vg279qm. ELMB-SYNC is good at 200-280hz since 80 overdrive is in SYNC at higher refresh rates
#3. ANy other 240hz ips monitor
#4 LAST PLACE=LG 27gn750 and alienware aw2521hf(NO MOTION BLUR REDUCTION)

HDR=#1

#1. MSI mag251rx-->highest contrast ratio of 1200 and brightnessI(480-500 nits), everything else is 1100 or below or below 500 nits)
#2. every other 240hz ips montinor

#3. Last place alienware aw2521hf (does NOT have HDR)

IS this even a debate? The MSI optix mag251rx is undoubtedly the BEST 240hz ips monitor right now. Every thing ticks

-best colors(10 bit wide gamut, and the only wide gamut 240hz ips monitor)
-most accurate colors (color banding mitigate uniformity, and color banding is only avaiable at 8 bit+FRC(the msi is the only 8 bit +FRC)
-HDR
-Fastest G2G average(on its optimal setting w/ little to no overshoot)
-among the best Motion blur reduction (the dimness, there are easy work arounds
-low input lag
-inexpensive($360 USD, only the vg259qm at $320 USD is cheaper)

it just doesn't have any weaknesses. Outside of its stand and the ability to not increase brightness if motion blur reduction is on. However, there are easy workarounds to these by simply buying a $27 vesa stand or using nvidia control panel to increase the brightness when MBR is on.

i don't know about you but if a monitor is #1 in colors and #1 in g2g response times among other 240hz ips monitors. And future proofed for ps5/series x thanks to its overdrive tuning where its fastest overdrive is STILL compatible at lower framerates/refresh rates. among other 240hz ips monitors. it's a NO BRAINER, the MSI mag251rx is the best OVERALL 240hz IPS monitor.

tldr;r;lrl

the MSI optix mag251rx is

#1 in colors #1 fastest #1 for console gaming #1 in contrast ratio and the 2nd cheapest ips 240hz monitor. Every thing ticks. It has on weaknesses and it's elite eat the most important variables(colors, response times, and console gaming)

it's a no brainer really.

jnashville

Re: MSI optix MAG251rx, the #1 ranked 240hz IPS monitor and the best overall competitive IPS monitor PERIOD.

Post by jnashville » 26 Apr 2020, 19:34

Have u tried using the .icm profile for vg259qm?
i used the icm profile and the whites look white to me. no yellow tint or grainy at all. Did u accidentally turn on vividpixel all the way up? That will make it look grainy.

TBH, colors are hard to really test because each individual monitors have so much color settings to play around with. U might have test it without optimal tweaking.

I have a dell p2217h IPS monitor (60hz) and comparing with my vg259qm, after tweaking my vg259qm, the colors look much nicer compared to my Dell. Maybe because i did not bother to tweak my dell colors as its just a work monitor. The dell has a slight bluish tint to it and my vg259qm looks white with no grainy effect at all.

Ensure you use the color profile given for each individual monitor.

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 27 Apr 2020, 10:23

Color gamut=#1

#1 MSi Optix mag251rx (10 bit signal, 1 billion colors 80 DCI-p3 72% adobe).
#2 every other 240z ips monitor(8 bit signal, 16 million colors)
MSI MAG251RX is not the only that can do it.

Several monitors use the same AUO IPS panel used in MAG251RX, and this panel is native 8 bits.

All monitors with this panel can do 10 bits, using 8 bits + FRC (dithering)

Viewsonic XG270 use another AUO IPS panel 27", like ACER XV273X, also 8 bits native, and both also can do 8 bits + FRC for play HDR games and improve banding test.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/ ... tro-xv273x

Gradient test.

To defend the XG270 Vs XV273X, both reviewed by Rtings, is needed to say that with XG270 only show 8 bits in this test. That is realy very unfair !! and leads people to think that XG270 can't do 8 + FRC :(

Both monitors has the same panel, and both can do 8+FRC, XG270 users has do it, and work.

https://www.amazon.es/ViewSonic-XG270-v ... merReviews
Christopher A. Bognar

Now, I wanted it all, and posted pics as proof: HDR10 with G-Sync at a 120Hz refresh. DP1.2 CAN run HDR10, even though compliance came out in DP1.4. Stated by VESA guidelines, it's basically all about bandwidth. DP1.2 will run HDR10 if . . . AND ONLY IF . . . you allow enough room on the signal for the 25% extra data that 10bpp has over 8bpp. There are two ways to do this (easily): reduce resolution, or reduce refresh rate. HDR10 will run with a DP1.2 or higher rated cable, if you lower your refresh to 120Hz to allow it room on the bus, because let's face it . . . we're not going to lower our resolution, right?!

Tested on Shadow of the Tomb Raider, G-Sync at 120Hz with HDR10 is buttery smooth and amazing! Everything I've tested has worked, and been stutter, tear, and blur free, with amazing color and light and dark contrast.
Last edited by AddictFPS on 28 Apr 2020, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.

Zavon

Post by Zavon » 27 Apr 2020, 16:52

Can you help talk me into the 251RX? Had a buddy return one since he said he couldn't take the low brightness and poor colors, unless he just received a bad panel. Right now, I'm leaning towards the XG270 to dual with a S2719DGF.

amezibra

Post by amezibra » 27 Apr 2020, 17:58

RLCScontender wrote:
26 Apr 2020, 11:34
Chill IPS msi stuff
sorry but i will still order an XL2546S as soon as it is available

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 27 Apr 2020, 19:44

AddictFPS wrote:
27 Apr 2020, 10:23

MSI MAG251RX is not the only that can do it.
Fairly certain the MAG 251rx is the only 240hz IPS monitor that can get a 10 bit signal. My 98% dci-p3 viewsonic elite xg270qg cannot yet the LG nano can and they have the same exact nano IPS panel. So just because the panel is the same doesn't mean they are exactly the same. Some have diffeerent backlights, have different overdrive tuning, some have dithering/FRC, others do't.
Several monitors use the same AUO IPS panel used in MAG251RX, and this panel is native 8 bits.

All monitors with this panel can do 10 bits, using 8 bits + FRC (dithering)

Viewsonic XG270 use another AUO IPS panel 27", like ACER XV273X, also 8 bits native, and both also can do 8 bits + FRC for play HDR games and improve banding test.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/ ... tro-xv273x

Gradient test.

To defend the XG270 Vs XV273X, both reviewed by Rtings, is needed to say that whit XG270 only show 8 bits in this test. That is realy very unfair !! and leads people to think that XG270 can't do 8 + FRC :(

Both monitors has the same panel, and both can do 8+FRC, XG270 users has do it, and work.
no 10 bit signal=no dithering+FRC or emulated 1 billion colors. The same way if you have an HDR monitor, yet if you can't even get an HDR signal in windows, then you aren't able to use the "HDR" of that monitor if an HDR signal cannot turn it on. This goes with 8 bit vs 10 bit. One has FULL color range, other has limited color range. Although 8 bit+FRC isn't "10 bit", it's 10 bit emulation which is much better than NOT having it at all. This will prevent inaccurate colors due to color banding,mitigate bad color uniformity, and make colors less washed out.

the acer nitro cannot run 10 bit and from my recollection, the xg270 cannot get a 10 bit signal. My viewsonic elite xg270qg with a 98% dci-p3, 90% adobe, 133% SRGB wide gamut cannot even get a 10 bit signal because the g-sync chip prevents it from doign so, which means it's a wide gamut monitor that has a limited color range. However, the LG 27gl850-b can easily get a 10 bit signal.

Just because they are the same panel doesn't mean every thing is the same. Some are more finely tuned than others. Some have different backlights, some can get a 10 bit signal, others canont. Some have HDR, others cannot(alienware aw2521hf cannot get HDR signal despite being the same AU optronics panel as the mag251rx

uh, the ACER XV273X according to these owners said it cannot get a 10 bit signal.

http://bestmonitorsbyncx.createaforum.c ... t;start=10

i havn't tested all of the 240hz monitors> but from my recollection of testing majority of them, the only one that can get 1 billion emulated colors is the msi making it a TRUE IPS panel.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 27 Apr 2020, 19:50

jnashville wrote:
26 Apr 2020, 19:34
Have u tried using the .icm profile for vg259qm?
i used the icm profile and the whites look white to me. no yellow tint or grainy at all. Did u accidentally turn on vividpixel all the way up? That will make it look grainy.

TBH, colors are hard to really test because each individual monitors have so much color settings to play around with. U might have test it without optimal tweaking.

I have a dell p2217h IPS monitor (60hz) and comparing with my vg259qm, after tweaking my vg259qm, the colors look much nicer compared to my Dell. Maybe because i did not bother to tweak my dell colors as its just a work monitor. The dell has a slight bluish tint to it and my vg259qm looks white with no grainy effect at all.

Ensure you use the color profile given for each individual monitor.
could you provide me a link or directions on how to mitigate the bad color uniformity? bcuz i've tried every thing but if you find an ICC that can mitigate it, feel free to share.

I don't have the vg29qm, i have the vg279qm(i ordered a new one for $340) since it's among the better IPS 240hz monitors. It's basically the safest monitor and you will get excellent response times w/ low input lag and a true 240hz experience. It's the safest pick and future proofed bcuz 280hz>>240hz

i chose the 27 inch version above the 25 inch version because although the 25 inch has a better PPI, it's only a 2 inch difference. If I sat 2 inches further, u won't even notice the "increase in PPI". Also, 24.5"/25" 1080p has a really bad visual acuity to maximum distance ratio. Litrally, the visual acuity for the monitor is the maximum distance allowed when viewing it to not see any pixels.

how pppl th ink 24.5" is superior to 27" is beyond me.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 27 Apr 2020, 19:56

Zavon wrote:
27 Apr 2020, 16:52
Can you help talk me into the 251RX? Had a buddy return one since he said he couldn't take the low brightness and poor colors, unless he just received a bad panel. Right now, I'm leaning towards the XG270 to dual with a S2719DGF.
XG270 is a great choice. I have it ranked #3(behind the asus and MSI). The thing about your "buddy" is that he has no other point of reference to compare it to. Yes, I too was in your friend's shoes. I was criticizing how bad the "MSI" was so I returned it. But upon trying out other monitors, the MSI was simply the best one.

If your friend doesn't like the colors of the AHVA, he could always get the 27gn750, it has the best accurate colors and best viewing angles and a true 99% SRGB which is very similar to the XG270. Expect to get a major hit in performance though 3ms>>>4.2ms g2g

then again, the xg270 doesnt' need a good g2g respone time if it has the best backlight strobing out of all the monitors. So yes, xg270 or the 27gn750 are good alternatives if your friend doesn't like the AHVA IPS such as the MSI.

I myself will tolerate color uniformity that the MSI and other AHVA panels are cursed with, if the performance is excellent. Fornutately, it performs well.