Acer Nitro XF2 XF252Q vs HP Omen X 25f

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
DaveN

Acer Nitro XF2 XF252Q vs HP Omen X 25f

Post by DaveN » 28 Apr 2020, 14:46

Currently trying to decide between these two - right now I'm on an ASUS VG248QE.
I mainly play CSGO competitively (80%) and some single player games (20%).
I don't want to wait for the XL2546S right now, and the new 240Hz IPS panels availability is pretty bad over here.

The Omen seems to have slightly lower response times aswell as input lag, however I'm confused about the motion blur/clarity claims on here.
The Acer has BFI but I see people claiming the Omen has less motion blur - then again, there's others who say the opposite.

Acer Review #1: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/ac ... xf252q.htm
Acer Review #2: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/ ... tro-xf252q
Omen Review #1: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/hp/omen-x-25f
Omen Review #2: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hp ... ,6321.html
Comparison: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/co ... shold=0.01

Are there any UFO test screenshouts out there which provide a fair comparison - I saw a lot but it was hard to actually compare them.
Old: ASUS VG248QE 144Hz TN Current: HP Omen X 25f 240Hz TN
Main Rig
2nd Rig

forii

Re: Acer Nitro XF2 XF252Q vs HP Omen X 25f

Post by forii » 28 Apr 2020, 15:35

lol :P

I have Acer Nitro XF252Q for few days and today I ordered HP Omen X 25f. I will in 99,9% refund back the Acer, even tho its great monitor (except like 1 thing which I reallly dislike)

First you need to know that I never had 240Hz TN before, I have/had before 144hz TN for few years and now testing 240HZ IPS and TN Panels.

Here are my thoughts
1) The Motion Blur + BFI/VBR
The motion blur on the Acer (Normal Mode) is amazing, if you turn extra on the BFI/VBR - man!, its so sharp and visible, here is my topic about it, just check videos and you can read my post about my first reaction etc, you dont want to read anything else.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6717

If it comes to VBR/BFI as you might know, turning the VBR gives you sleight of input lag(from 2,6ms g2g to 4,6ms), so for competive gaming, and esspecialy the CS:GO - you simply don't want it. CS Go its not Quake which this feature would be helpful. If you never had any 240hz TN, you don't even want BFI anyway, the motion clarity is simply amazing compare to any IPS!

For other games (e.g Quake) you might use BFI, if you want... in only that case - the acer would be better tho.

Actually I don't like to use any motion blur technology because I dont like extra input lag and pretty big deal - the thought in my mind that it might hurts my eyes, which distracts me, but I don't dislike this technology, its pretty amazing and it works great on Acer.

Now, if it comes to the HP Owen, as you already said that, the Omen has even better motion blur = that means, if you don't wanna use any form of motion blur technology - the Owen is the answer. 10/10 motion blur, even better than on the BenQ Zowie. You will be impressive. And I already know that I will be, after what I saw on the Acer.

I can record the ufo tests to compare, the same like on acer if you want, I can do that on Thursday or Friday. I will have also the MSI MAG251RX, cuz its one of the best 240Hz IPS, next to the VG259QM/VG279QM.

2) Input lag
3.0 ms on Acer
2.6 ms on HP - I think one of the lowest actually based on measurement on rtings, it might be even lower then.
Anyway HP wins, its not big difference but its good to have lower, always.

3) Response time,
Im not sure about it, but as I know the HP has better response time = better motion clarity.

4) BLACK COLOR UNIFORMITY

Acer has the worst black color uniformity, watching dark scenes movies is like pain in the as**.
That is the main reason why i wanted upgrade and realised that HP Omen has much better black color uniformity and everything else - also better.. Trust me, you dont want your acer or any other monitor as a main monitor with bad black color uniformity lol

5) Overshoots
The HP Omen has 0 overshoots compare to no noticeable acer's one - so its not a big deal but its good to have clear move.

6) Design
Well, thats obvious. Acer looks like cheap sh*t, same with OSD menu.
HP looks amazing, it even has LED under it. I love it. Esspecialy its a 50$ differene in price (in my country).

7) Price (In Poland)
I paid 363$ for HP
310$ for Acer.

8) Angles
Well, angles...I never got it, how can u don't look at the monitor not directly sitting in front of it
But if you are the guy who sits diferently (not in front) then HP has worst angles than Acer, slighty.

9) Speakers
(if you want to buy a monitor with speakers XD)
Acer has crappy one
HP omen, doesnt have any (thanks god - I hate to always turn off mine in the windows 10 lol cuz its like to turn on sometimes)

10) Colors
If you are TN user you simply don't care about it, my acer's colors after calibration was fine compare to VG279QM (IPS 240hz), the only thing that bothered me was the black color uniformity, which will be fixed on HP Omen. If you had this Asus 144hz TN for this time you will like the HP or acer (except the black color in dark scenes)
I know one thing, that unfortunately HP Omen doesnt have better contrast compare to acer. But who cares.
ALso remember that you need to calibrate the Omen, it doesnt look great if you look at him for 1st time.

Winner is obv the HP, but I will confirm that in few days.

hleV

Post by hleV » 28 Apr 2020, 16:44

I'm interested in monitor's ability to crank up digital vibrance (in case NVIDIA's 100% is not enough). I know BenQ has it, but I couldn't find information about it for Omen X 25f. As I know there is saturation, but I was wondering if it's similar to digital vibrance.

I wish somebody could confirm if I can crank up the colors on Omen or not.
BenQ XL2546K @ 240Hz (DyAC+) • ROCCAT Kone Pro Air @ 1000Hz • HyperX Alloy Origins • CORSAIR MM350 PRO Premium • HyperX Cloud Revolver • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 @ 2130MHz/8000MHz • Intel Core i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz • G.SKILL RipjawsV 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz CL15

camaoyba

Post by camaoyba » 28 Apr 2020, 17:14

I play CSGO on a X 25f and couldnt be happier. I think it is a great gaming monitor.

The ergonomics are bad but I have a couple of Humanscale M2 monitor arms.

DaveN

Post by DaveN » 28 Apr 2020, 17:41

forii wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 15:35
lol :P

I have Acer Nitro XF252Q for few days and today I ordered HP Omen X 25f. I will in 99,9% refund back the Acer, even tho its great monitor (except like 1 thing which I reallly dislike)

First you need to know that I never had 240Hz TN before, I have/had before 144hz TN for few years and now testing 240HZ IPS and TN Panels.

Here are my thoughts
1) The Motion Blur + BFI/VBR
The motion blur on the Acer (Normal Mode) is amazing, if you turn extra on the BFI/VBR - man!, its so sharp and visible, here is my topic about it, just check videos and you can read my post about my first reaction etc, you dont want to read anything else.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6717

If it comes to VBR/BFI as you might know, turning the VBR gives you sleight of input lag(from 2,6ms g2g to 4,6ms), so for competive gaming, and esspecialy the CS:GO - you simply don't want it. CS Go its not Quake which this feature would be helpful. If you never had any 240hz TN, you don't even want BFI anyway, the motion clarity is simply amazing compare to any IPS!

For other games (e.g Quake) you might use BFI, if you want... in only that case - the acer would be better tho.

Actually I don't like to use any motion blur technology because I dont like extra input lag and pretty big deal - the thought in my mind that it might hurts my eyes, which distracts me, but I don't dislike this technology, its pretty amazing and it works great on Acer.

Now, if it comes to the HP Owen, as you already said that, the Omen has even better motion blur = that means, if you don't wanna use any form of motion blur technology - the Owen is the answer. 10/10 motion blur, even better than on the BenQ Zowie. You will be impressive. And I already know that I will be, after what I saw on the Acer.

I can record the ufo tests to compare, the same like on acer if you want, I can do that on Thursday or Friday. I will have also the MSI MAG251RX, cuz its one of the best 240Hz IPS, next to the VG259QM/VG279QM.

2) Input lag
3.0 ms on Acer
2.6 ms on HP - I think one of the lowest actually based on measurement on rtings, it might be even lower then.
Anyway HP wins, its not big difference but its good to have lower, always.

3) Response time,
Im not sure about it, but as I know the HP has better response time = better motion clarity.

4) BLACK COLOR UNIFORMITY

Acer has the worst black color uniformity, watching dark scenes movies is like pain in the as**.
That is the main reason why i wanted upgrade and realised that HP Omen has much better black color uniformity and everything else - also better.. Trust me, you dont want your acer or any other monitor as a main monitor with bad black color uniformity lol

5) Overshoots
The HP Omen has 0 overshoots compare to no noticeable acer's one - so its not a big deal but its good to have clear move.

6) Design
Well, thats obvious. Acer looks like cheap sh*t, same with OSD menu.
HP looks amazing, it even has LED under it. I love it. Esspecialy its a 50$ differene in price (in my country).

7) Price (In Poland)
I paid 363$ for HP
310$ for Acer.

8) Angles
Well, angles...I never got it, how can u don't look at the monitor not directly sitting in front of it
But if you are the guy who sits diferently (not in front) then HP has worst angles than Acer, slighty.

9) Speakers
(if you want to buy a monitor with speakers XD)
Acer has crappy one
HP omen, doesnt have any (thanks god - I hate to always turn off mine in the windows 10 lol cuz its like to turn on sometimes)

10) Colors
If you are TN user you simply don't care about it, my acer's colors after calibration was fine compare to VG279QM (IPS 240hz), the only thing that bothered me was the black color uniformity, which will be fixed on HP Omen. If you had this Asus 144hz TN for this time you will like the HP or acer (except the black color in dark scenes)
I know one thing, that unfortunately HP Omen doesnt have better contrast compare to acer. But who cares.
ALso remember that you need to calibrate the Omen, it doesnt look great if you look at him for 1st time.

Winner is obv the HP, but I will confirm that in few days.
Thanks for your detailed answer, finally someone taking the time to explain things!!
Sucks that the Omen was available for 280€ a few days ago and I was actually about to purchase it, but didn't, rip.
I can only get it for 350€ now, but it's still cheaper than the Acer over here.

It would still be really nice if you could record some UFO tests, if it doesn't help me out, it might help someone else. :)
Main Rig
2nd Rig

PixelDuck87

Post by PixelDuck87 » 28 Apr 2020, 18:38

One thing I would like to know is which TN panel is omen 25f using? Is it the same sub 1ms panel from 2019 XF252Q is using or older tech?

DaveN

Post by DaveN » 28 Apr 2020, 20:05

PixelDuck87 wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 18:38
One thing I would like to know is which TN panel is omen 25f using? Is it the same sub 1ms panel from 2019 XF252Q is using or older tech?
Yeah, that info seems to be very hard to come by... but after all, does it matter when it performs better than newer panels?
Main Rig
2nd Rig

PixelDuck87

Post by PixelDuck87 » 28 Apr 2020, 21:28

DaveN wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 20:05
PixelDuck87 wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 18:38
Yeah, that info seems to be very hard to come by... but after all, does it matter when it performs better than newer panels?
I'm worried that if I buy 25f now they gonna release a 26f soon after with sub 1ms panel or something that performs even better...
If I knew that they are using the most up to date TN tech in 25f I wouldn't be worried...

js27

Post by js27 » 28 Apr 2020, 21:48

People say it uses the new panel, but Im not too sure, hopefully someone with more knowledge can answer this

Response times from RTINGS test methodology 1.0, acer have lower response times while having less overshoot.
XF252Q: 80% Response Time: 1.8 ms 100% Response Time: 4.5 ms
OMEN X 25f: 80% Response Time: 2.1 ms 100% Response Time: 5.3 ms
Overshoot photo: acer https://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/mon ... -large.jpg vs omen https://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/mon ... -large.jpg

forii

Post by forii » 29 Apr 2020, 04:48

PixelDuck87 wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 21:28

I'm worried that if I buy 25f now they gonna release a 26f soon after with sub 1ms panel or something that performs even better...
If I knew that they are using the most up to date TN tech in 25f I wouldn't be worried...
Well, if you look at the latest XL2546, they didn't actually add something really "better" than HP or Acer, there are some reviews that the colors are actually so bad on the BenQ. So I don't think they will add something good for 26f, except maybe they add BFI or any other motion blur technique.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comme ... x_25f_for/

It is only about Dyac in BenQ (with slight more input lag), so again, if you want any BFI go for Acer, but the trade off is shitty Black color uniformity, so its hard to keep it as a main monitor and use it sometimes for movies

If you dont care about Black color - the Acer wins.
Last edited by forii on 29 Apr 2020, 04:58, edited 2 times in total.