Advice On New Monitor [Professional Color + 240Hz?]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Jasa

Re: Advice On New Monitor [Professional Color + 240Hz?]

Post by Jasa » 29 Apr 2020, 16:03

Isn't quake 3 fps tied to movement somehow? My memory is a bit rusty but I vaguely recall that being the case. Still impressive anyway and I definitely should've included them.

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 30 Apr 2020, 14:31

Thanks everyone for coming in to help. Much appreciated. I am definitely learning a lot.

Ok, first off, the simple answer to all that knowledge you guys just gave is I will want/need a monitor that offers G-Sync and Blur reduction as long as they are also optionally turned on/off. Oh and is VSync the same as GSync just one is for AMD and G is for Nvidia ? Or ?? Is that Free-Sync ? lol If so, what's VSync then ?

So lets look at the narrowed down criteria:

A 25" IPS panel that offers optional G-Sync/Vsync and Blur Reduction that has the absolute best truest graphical representation.
(or if between the time this is posted and I buy something, I'm ok with a 27" ips @1440 if it meets above requirements as well.)
Jasa wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 15:47
Definitely no to 4k@240 and 1920x1080@480 for any game (at least not consistently), cs can definitely do 1440p@240, maybe other stuff like overwatch also.
Thanks for the answer. So still though, barring the games/movies/source and monitors limitations what is my card's and computer rigs' max ability ? Because looking on the Nvidia site, I do not see them list that anywhere. I'm just curious. As for how fast these monitors are coming out and progressing, and how fast the source materials' resolutions and fps are growing I'd like to know my actual computers limitations on that subject.

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 01 May 2020, 19:07

So with this narrowed down criteria, which one is recommended ?
A 25" 1920x1080 IPS panel, 240hz, true 8bit color or above, that offers optional on/off G-Sync/Vsync and Blur Reduction that has the absolute best truest graphical representation compared to its competition. As my interests lie with 85% competition gamer / 15% graphic hound giving to prioritize graphical representation/colors/etc.. So I will accept a slight lag hit to get better graphics..

(or if between the time this is posted and I buy something, I'm ok with a 27" ips @1440 if it meets above requirements as well.)

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 02 May 2020, 01:18

Honestly, i don't think you are even in the position to choose since it's extremely hard to find a new 240hz ips monitor that isn't the first generation low end 240hz panels.( acer nitro xv273(and 3-4 of its vairants) or the LG 240hz variant(27gn750)).

Outside of those two, you won't see anything else about IPS monitors. jUst a bunch of TN (and sadly, i ssee the same TN models on SALE, and for some reason it's note ven selling out

the best 240hz monitors like these

Asus tuf vg279qm/vg259qm
Alienware AW2521hf
MSI Optix MAG251rx
viewsonic elite XG270

either get sold out within 1-4hours where they put it on stock on amazon(or anywhere else) or ridiculously backordered.

hell, even the mid tier 240hz monitors like the

alienware aw2720hf
acer predator xb253q
acer predator xb273 x
get sold out rather quickly

If you see a 240hz ips monitor that isnt' backordered and isn't marked up with +$90-$200, BUY IT. The differences in performance really isn't that large(although the MSI/AW/Asus are noticeably faster than the low 2nd 240hz IPS). We're literally talking about 1ms-1.5ms g2g difference. at 240hz, u wont' notice(at least not me) since motion clarity is mitigated to the point where g2g average in terms of ghosting refreshes so quick, that it's near imperceptible.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 02 May 2020, 01:21

u also mentioned u want a 240hz competitive monitor that u can also use w/ general work.

27gn750(best SRGB and best viewing angles but a below average g2g average at around 4.5-5ms. and the xg270 has excellent colors and quality control but this is hard to find. SOme douche is selling this for $1300 as we speak. The alienware 2521hf also fit that mold then again, dell is backordered til july.

TBH, i don't think u will find a good compromise. But if I were in your shoes, if you are able to find ANY 240hz monitor within its good price range brand new, GET IT.

unless u don't mind ordering from a backorder or using a price change tracker on amazon so u can get a notification and buy it instantly. The good 240hz monitors are hard to come by nowadays

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 03 May 2020, 02:04

Oh wow, ok. You think thats just cause of C19 issues ? Because I notice the gaming desks and chairs are also backordered.

Maybe best thing is to wait, and maybe if I wait long enough there will be a more clear winner that is released ?

But if I got you right your saying if I buy now, get any of the

Asus Tuf vg259qm
Alienware AW2521hf
or
MSI Optix MAG251rx

(remember, I'm sticking to 25" for now)

So to me the above is narrowed down to either the Asus or the MSI cause in another thread I seen you saying the Alienware aint that great. Plus if I combine all knowledge I'm getting from you guys, neither did Chief BlurBuster recommend the Alienware in any of his recommendations.

THEREFORE - Can I ask this to everyone here - Out of the Asus Tuf vg259qm and the MSI Optix MAG251rx, which one's graphic representations are best/more true ? (since their performance is so close)

Shishuan

Post by Shishuan » 03 May 2020, 02:39

Based on RLCScontender review, MSI has better color and uniformity.

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 03 May 2020, 02:56

Yea I was noticing that too. I'd just like a verification on that, just in case after reading about my personal criteria, he changes that.

I was also wondering why Chief BB didn't recommend the MSI once in his posts here ?

Because I am really leaning towards the MSI due to it being true 8bit (fake 10 bit ! 8bit+FRC) whereas the Asus is 6bit+FRC (fake 8bit)

BUT, I know specs/white paper stuff can be misleading in real life scenarios.

Any personal prefs here from anyone that seen both, I'd appreciate.

Blehhh

Post by Blehhh » 04 May 2020, 06:12

RLCScontender wrote:
02 May 2020, 01:21
u also mentioned u want a 240hz competitive monitor that u can also use w/ general work.

27gn750(best SRGB and best viewing angles but a below average g2g average at around 4.5-5ms. and the xg270 has excellent colors and quality control but this is hard to find. SOme douche is selling this for $1300 as we speak. The alienware 2521hf also fit that mold then again, dell is backordered til july.

TBH, i don't think u will find a good compromise. But if I were in your shoes, if you are able to find ANY 240hz monitor within its good price range brand new, GET IT.

unless u don't mind ordering from a backorder or using a price change tracker on amazon so u can get a notification and buy it instantly. The good 240hz monitors are hard to come by nowadays
was reading about ips vs tn panels and their colours, stumbled upon this video for comparison https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf1t-AplcMA

summary: this video seems to give the edge to Benq zowie XL2540 tn panel vs the new asus VG279QM and acer as well as LG
i thought ips usually is the clear winner against tn in colours. was wondering if tn colours have improved alot since the older days tn? is it just only the viewing angle advantage?

or is Benq Tn panel higher quality therefore benq tn panel colours are better than asus vg279qm (although asus have terrible colours from what i have read from all your other reviews) but its also better in colours than the acer and LG. it hought tn can never beat ips in colours, but is it because benq have beter quality tn panels ( since it cost more than the asus vg279qm)
thanks for your reply, always appreciate your honest review <3

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 04 May 2020, 14:52

Hey Blehhh ! Thanks for joining in and sharing info.

You know, I seen that too, but the issue with that comparison IMO is its not a apples to apples comparison. He compared 27" ips panels to a 25" TN panel *while all were 1920x1080*. Inadvertently and of course the 25" panel will appear to look better because its size to pixel ratio is more proper.

In conjunction, the 27"ers will (accidentally) not look as good as they could cause 27" is just to big for 1920x1080 pixel ratio

I personally think that comparison is skewed (accidentally). Just due to him not be thorough about variables, not because I think he purposely skewed it.

But I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks about that thought.