MAG272QR Motion Blur, want to return for something better

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
xxxtinct

MAG272QR Motion Blur, want to return for something better

Post by xxxtinct » 30 Apr 2020, 07:43

So i've recently upgraded from an ASUS VG248QE, a simple 1080p 144hz TN panel. After a couple days with my new MAG272QR I've noticed some serious smudging, motion blur, ghosting, etc. and haven't really been able to fix things by tweaking settings. The Anti-Motion Blur setting overrides and disables G-Sync, doesn't seem to do a whole lot and comes with a weird whining noise from the monitor. I've got 30 days to try to break it in or find a replacement.

For a replacement, I'm looking at faster 1440p, or considering going back to 1080p, but would like to try (24") 240hz if so.

I've seen numerous praises for the "best 240hz IPS" Optix MAG251RX, but I've also seen some good reviews with a couple of the 240hz TN panels (Alienware AW2518HF as an example). Is that Optix really close enough to TN speeds to make all others not worth my time? I've never had a noticeable issue with colors on any TN, but I DO notice any sort of motion blur, input lag and/or ghosting going on. Again, the priority is competitive, fast-paced FPS gaming.

For the 1440p options, I'm not so sure. The one that has my eye the most is the TUF VG27BQ, or one of the less expensive Dell options in that $300-$400 price range. I'm truly looking at all my options under $500 at most.