Omen x 25 odd vertical lines on textures while moving

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
chanci

Omen x 25 odd vertical lines on textures while moving

Post by chanci » 08 May 2020, 05:07

Hi All,

I've spent hours trying to find an answer for this hence I had to post here. It's a bit hard to explain but here we go. Just got my new omen x 25 monitor and I immediately noticed that in games, textures on walls somehow flicker or shimmer (not sure of the correct term) and display a faint grid of vertical lines. They are not flashing or anything, its like the wall texture just changes a little bit. It's like the pixels rearrange themselves to show these faint vertical lines which are 1 mm apart from each other. This happens when strafing left to right, jumping etc and they show themselves and disappear as I change angles. This is not happening on all kinds of textures. So far I tried the following things to see if I can fix this:

- used an alternative d-port cable
- lowered refresh rate to 144
- tested on different games, happening in both Valorant and Overwatch
- tested on another 160 hz monitor I have, not showing this at all
- tested with g-sync on and off
- tested with only x 25 monitor plugged in to video card with no other cables attached to GPU at all

On another note, the reviews of the Omen x25f seem to say that lvl 3 overdrive is perfect, gives best results and does not overshoot. Since I did not find anyone commenting on whether this is the case with Omen x 25 I can confirm that on Lvl 3 there is overshoot for sure so if you buy this monitor be prepared to potentially use it on Lvl 2 overdrive.

Max_hz

Re: Omen x 25 odd vertical lines on textures while moving

Post by Max_hz » 08 May 2020, 09:29

Hi chanci, if it really annoys you send it back nothing you can do by your self on this problem.

See also viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5909&p=44870#p44870
In use: Asus VG259QM IPS 240-280hz - Hanns-G HS233 TN 120hz
Used before: LG 24LG600 TN 144hz - HP Omen X 25f TN 240hz - ViewSonic XG2402 TN 144hz - Asus VG259Q IPS 144hz

chanci

Post by chanci » 08 May 2020, 09:30

Is this common in 240 hz monitors, meaning if I replace it for another one, even a different brand that it will be the same ?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 08 May 2020, 09:36

chanci wrote:
08 May 2020, 09:30
Is this common in 240 hz monitors, meaning if I replace it for another one, even a different brand that it will be the same ?
Inversion artifacts are more common on TN panel types. It's not necessarily exclusive to the max refresh rate.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 08 May 2020, 10:08

chanci wrote:
This occurs regardless of brand. lottery among 240hz monitors. Return it to the store. Get the exact same model and check again.
https://www.testufo.com/photo#photo=que ... 0&height=0
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

chanci

Post by chanci » 08 May 2020, 10:10

So this may not affect ALL Omen x 25 and it's worth trying for another one?

chanci

Post by chanci » 09 May 2020, 05:40

1000WATT wrote:
08 May 2020, 10:08
chanci wrote:
This occurs regardless of brand. lottery among 240hz monitors. Return it to the store. Get the exact same model and check again.
https://www.testufo.com/photo#photo=que ... 0&height=0
Ah you posted the reply 2 minutes before mine went online. Thanks for the advice. I noticed in another old thread from about 6 months ago that you recommended a guy just outright return his x 25 before he even received it because you said they suffer from the artifacts. Have you changed your mind since then or do you have any info that some x 25 do not have this issue ? I am just debating if I should go through what I expect to be a lengthy process of return and replacement. Thanks!

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 09 May 2020, 09:08

I previously suggested that there is no specific template in this model to prevent inversion artifacts. Since it was previously seen in other models of monitors. But x25 fell into my hands with and without artifacts. Now I have xn253qx and it is without inversion artifacts. Although the review https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/acer-xn253qx/ write.
"Interlace pattern artifacts
On some monitors, particularly but not exclusively those with high refresh rates, interlace patterns can be seen during certain transitions. We refer to these as ‘interlace pattern artifacts’ but some users refer to them as ‘inversion artifacts’ and others as ‘scan lines’. They may appear as an interference pattern, mesh or interlaced lines which break up a given shade into a darker and lighter version of what is intended. They often catch the eye due to their dynamic nature, on models where they manifest themselves in this way. Alternatively, static interlace patterns may be seen with some shades appearing as faint horizontal or vertical bands of a slightly lighter and slightly darker version of the intended shade.

Whilst we didn’t observe static interlace patterns on this model, we did observe dynamic interlace pattern artifacts. When movement was observed on the screen, the image sometimes appeared to break up into an interference pattern composed of vertical pinstripes. We found it quite noticeable, although it didn’t really distract us when gaming. Sensitivity to this sort of thing varies, it also depends on eyesight and viewing distance – not everyone will notice them and not everyone who does will find them distracting. They manifested in a similar way regardless of refresh rate or whether G-SYNC was active. They were particularly easy to notice with ULMB active, as we explore shortly."

In short. Then I changed my mind.
Although it’s not clear to me why this happens if the templates are the same.
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

chanci

Post by chanci » 09 May 2020, 13:21

1000WATT wrote:
09 May 2020, 09:08
I previously suggested that there is no specific template in this model to prevent inversion artifacts. Since it was previously seen in other models of monitors. But x25 fell into my hands with and without artifacts. Now I have xn253qx and it is without inversion artifacts. Although the review https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/acer-xn253qx/ write.
"Interlace pattern artifacts
On some monitors, particularly but not exclusively those with high refresh rates, interlace patterns can be seen during certain transitions. We refer to these as ‘interlace pattern artifacts’ but some users refer to them as ‘inversion artifacts’ and others as ‘scan lines’. They may appear as an interference pattern, mesh or interlaced lines which break up a given shade into a darker and lighter version of what is intended. They often catch the eye due to their dynamic nature, on models where they manifest themselves in this way. Alternatively, static interlace patterns may be seen with some shades appearing as faint horizontal or vertical bands of a slightly lighter and slightly darker version of the intended shade.

Whilst we didn’t observe static interlace patterns on this model, we did observe dynamic interlace pattern artifacts. When movement was observed on the screen, the image sometimes appeared to break up into an interference pattern composed of vertical pinstripes. We found it quite noticeable, although it didn’t really distract us when gaming. Sensitivity to this sort of thing varies, it also depends on eyesight and viewing distance – not everyone will notice them and not everyone who does will find them distracting. They manifested in a similar way regardless of refresh rate or whether G-SYNC was active. They were particularly easy to notice with ULMB active, as we explore shortly."

In short. Then I changed my mind.
Although it’s not clear to me why this happens if the templates are the same.
Thanks, I will try mu luck with another one if the store approves the exchange. Btw for anyone looking for opinion for this monitor there are two additional flaws I did not mention and speak for poor overall QA process (in my opinion):

1. The monitor came with the wrong power cable. It has external brick which should connect to the power cable. Power cable has the wrong extension so I had to use a cable I had from a laptop to even make it work......
2. there is a faint colour distortion in the top of the monitor. It's like a 1 sm wide horizontal line across the monitor which has a slightly different coloration... manifests itself on lighter colours...

I don't know if these defects should be acceptable for a 500 EUR monitor but I think not.

chanci

Post by chanci » 14 May 2020, 14:02

Quick update - I receive a replacement Omen x 25 monitor. Difference is night and day. There are inversion artifacts but in order to see them I need to stand 10 sm away from the monitor and look for them really hard. It's nothing like before. The colour uniformity is also perfect, no lines showing slightly different hues. Almost 0 backlight bleed as well. Colours are great even out of the box, vibrant and nice. Contrast is good. Compared to my other monitor Alienware AW3418HW its pretty much the same type of experience, if not better, even though its TN vs IPS panel.

Bottom line, if you get lucky in the panel lottery its an amazing monitor and I am very happy with it.