Motion requirements for non-FPS gaming

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
1000WATT

Re: Motion requirements for non-FPS gaming

Post by 1000WATT » 10 May 2020, 16:51

If you have already regained focus on the slave eye. (I did not understand this). Then any games forcing to follow the movement of small objects are suitable. on any monitor. It remains only to control the position of the head directly. If you used to look sideways like dogs look.
thgtrh.jpg
thgtrh.jpg (3.82 KiB) Viewed 1821 times
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

RedCloudFuneral

Post by RedCloudFuneral » 10 May 2020, 18:05

1000WATT wrote:
10 May 2020, 16:36
RedCloudFuneral wrote:
10 May 2020, 15:12
Please note that I use Google translator.
I think I understand you. The main reason your brain chose to divide its eyes into the master and the follower was due to the double image, which ultimately developed dysbinocular amblyopia.
usually in such cases, stimulate the method of "occlusion of the leading eye." And they do exercises: drawing with bright colors, puzzles, designers or computer games. The process of restoring sharpness in the slave eye takes months. And after the focus in two eyes is normalized, the brain very quickly rebuilds itself. And begins to use both.
I would like to hear what method your doctor recommends.
Since just computer games will not fix it. You cannot be constantly focused on your eyes while you play. You will definitely be distracted and as soon as this happens your brain will immediately return to the leading eye. You won’t notice this because you are passionate about the game. And the process of correcting the focus of the driven eye will stop.
I'll watch my typos then, translators are poor with misspellings.
Yes I have a head-tilt like that dog(far more subtle) because my eyes err toward misalignment both in the vertical & horizontal axis. My eye doctor claims the sole trigger which causes me to lose binocular vision is the brain avoiding double vision which in turn would be caused by conflicting images.

I'm lucky that the vision loss in one eye did not start developing until after surgical correction as the differing prescriptions made both eyes useful prior to surgery. Currently the only practical difference between the eyes is a comprehension issue with the right which I believe more a brain wiring issue than eye related, reading text is counter-intuitive as if they were foreign symbols instead of letters I know, this is improving by forcing myself to read with this eye. At this stage of treatment my brain no longer has a favored eye, when I lose my binocular vision it is random which eye is favored and it switches throughout the day.

Visual therapy is based around muscle exercise due to fix weakness(tightness) using prism glasses to force the eyes outward, exercise designed to help fuse images(sometimes using 3D glasses, the ones with red/green lens, good to know which eye is being used & understand when vision is binocular,) and VR treatment where using VividVision(I can watch objects flicker in one eye as the brain tries to deactivate it then notices it's losing information the other eye is blind to.) I sought after an eye doctor who uses VR as part of their treatment plan after testing it myself, I notice that normal VR games force both of my eyes to be active and this effect can continue up to a week without using the headset. I suspect its due to the simplified requirements(Focal distance is always the same and the lenses force the eyes to be centered for a clear image making for simple mental calibration.) I can generally maintain binocular vision up until the point I do my exercises which tire out the eye muscles. The reality is that my vision varies greatly by the minute as my brain is constantly readjusting, it shows how plastic the brain can be as it chases the most accurate viewing experience.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 May 2020, 18:07

[Commentary: I am impressed that Google Translate is good enough nowadays to ask questions on this forum.]
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RedCloudFuneral

Post by RedCloudFuneral » 11 May 2020, 22:02

I've been testing my two monitors one at a time in Grim Dawn to provide some answers toward my original question as I'm figuring out all this monitor stuff can be just as subjective as personal audio. My two monitors are the Viotek gnv32cbo & the Viewsonic XG2700-4K. Or in simple terms a 2020 model super-budget 32" VA panel @ 165hz + a 2016 semi-premium 27" 4K gaming monitor @ 60hz. I tested with a mix of Gsync compatibility mode/fixed(uncapped) FPS. I ran both monitors @ 1080p to limit the variables at play. Performance @ 1080p averaged between 170-250FPS well above the refresh rate of both monitors. 65% GPU usage, the game is bottlenecked by its' single-threaded engine, it's safe to assume some drops & stutters. Performs about the same with >90% GPU load at a 1440p render resolution.

Results of my testing are:
A. Both 32" & 27" are too big for my setup, its easy to lose track of the health bar at the bottom. At best I can sit 29" away, only 26" with the larger screen. That's frustrating considering the limited choice in <25" monitors on the market.
B. Colors are far more important to me than I thought. Despite both monitors being rated around 100% SRGB this IPS panel is superior. I noticed I was spotting enemies quicker & finding loot containers I missed with the Viotek display. I can play the game longer comfortably, lower fatigue factor. Most of the time I've owned the Viewsonic I've been disappointed with its colors oddly enough, I preferred my old 240hz LG TN(more fatiguing but more saturated) and vastly preferred the old Acer VA(Zero eye fatigue/great colors/contrast. >100% SRGB) The Viotek monitor reminds me of the TN panel I owned in 2009, it's unpleasant to look at.
C. The tides turned in boss fights with numerous enemies on the screen where a perceived sluggishness ruined my focus & led me to lose track of enemies in the chaos. I got disoriented & died playing with the Viewsonic. The input delay was more noticeable than any blur. I could track smaller groups of projectiles/enemies decently(could tell movement wasn't smooth) but I'm also in the early game and I know it ramps up later. Still with the 60hz Viewsonic I can't read the names of items on the ground while I'm moving. It's also harder to pick up the items(done by clicking the name) without coming to a full stop. Slows the flow of the game down. This is intuitive on the Viotek but not perfectly smooth.
D. I prefer both monitors with the Gsync disabled due to a subtle & possibly imagined delay. I couldn't perceive any tearing on the 165hz screen, I did but quickly forgot about it on the 60hz. I'm not sensitive to tearing, most monitor/GPU combos I've owned I can't see a difference with VRR on/off.
E. I had both monitors on their fastest response time setting, I didn't notice any overshoot artifacts with either in Grim Dawn. There are times I've lowered each monitor a notch in other games due to subtle shimmering with foliage in dark scenes but I usually revert it back as the added blur is more noticeable than whatever artifacts the 'extreme' overdrive causes.

Conclusions: I'm unwilling to compromise on color, I want a wide gamut display. I think I just want high saturation/contrasted colors and not so much accuracy, my past experiences don't show any one panel type to reign supreme, are IPS just easier to calibrate for printing work where there's a set standard? I don't understand the 'common knowledge' of their superior colors. I was able to perceive the limits of my 165hz display & my PC can handle 240hz in both 1080p/1440p. I probably shouldn't buy another 27" but that might be the only way to get the refresh rate + colors I want. 1440p 240hz 27" TNs are exist but that's an expensive purchase for something that I might be annoyed with(due to large FoV. I'd JUMP on a 25" with those specs.)
I honestly have half a mind to wait for the next generation of panels to see what feature combos hit the market, buying something used in the meantime to dodge depreciation.

Where do you guys go to sell your old displays? Not much on Reddit or eBay right now and I'm not sure if that's normal or the 'new normal.'