Alienware AW2521H - Gsync/extreme/Overshoot

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ca_Koppin

Alienware AW2521H - Gsync/extreme/Overshoot

Post by ca_Koppin » 10 May 2020, 02:26

Hey everyone,

I just received my AW2521H yesterday. Couple of interesting observations:

1. With overdrive setting at extreme and 240hz there is no ghosting with Gsync enabled with the UFO test
2. When I play Apex Legends and cap in game fps at 237 it runs really well. I'm very pleased. I was previously using a XB241H Predator from ASUS that was a 144hz TN panel. This one looks better and is very responsive. This is a subjective statement from me. I realize response time and input lag are very objective debates on here. I'm not trying to wade in.
3. There's a glitch. Occasionally Gsync stops working and there's all sorts of artifacts and ghosting. If I turn Gsync off and then back on in the control panel, it goes back to working properly. It seems to happen if I alt-tab out of Apex to go to any other application. So if I go from full screen to a different window and/or app Gsync stops working.
4. Also, sometime the ufo test says this: Unable to VSYNC. Try closing all apps and browser tabs.

Has anyone seen #3,#4 on Gsync compatible monitors before? My previous monitor never did either. Maybe I have a bad panel?

I'm happy to tweak any configuration settings if someone thinks something else is causing this. Looking forward to some feedback. Thanks a ton. Rick

ca_Koppin

Re: Alienware AW2521H - Gsync/extreme/Overshoot

Post by ca_Koppin » 12 May 2020, 00:23

okay, I installed the Dell drivers for the monitor and made sure Vsync is turned to On in the Gsync control panel instead of use the 3d application setting and I'm no longer having this issue.

Now the question is around should I be using the extreme overdrive setting. I'm maintaining over 180 FPS on Apex Legends so this setting may be fine. Since this is the same panel as the MSI 240hz IPS panel and other reviews state that if I start getting around 144fps the overshoot will be bad with adaptive sync on. Not sure if anyone has an opinion on overdrive settings for this monitor.

I'm playing Valorant as well and maintaining a high frame rate so maybe this will be fine. For games where I can't maintain close to 200fps I may need to turn overdrive to fast.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 12 May 2020, 02:16

ca_Koppin wrote:
10 May 2020, 02:26
Hey everyone,

1. With overdrive setting at extreme and 240hz there is no ghosting with Gsync enabled with the UFO test
2. When I play Apex Legends and cap in game fps at 237 it runs really well. I'm very pleased. I was previously using a XB241H Predator from ASUS that was a 144hz TN panel. This one looks better and is very responsive. This is a subjective statement from me. I realize response time and input lag are very objective debates on here. I'm not trying to wade in.
3. There's a glitch. Occasionally Gsync stops working and there's all sorts of artifacts and ghosting. If I turn Gsync off and then back on in the control panel, it goes back to working properly. It seems to happen if I alt-tab out of Apex to go to any other application. So if I go from full screen to a different window and/or app Gsync stops working.
4. Also, sometime the ufo test says this: Unable to VSYNC. Try closing all apps and browser tabs.

Has anyone seen #3,#4 on Gsync compatible monitors before? My previous monitor never did either. Maybe I have a bad panel?

I'm happy to tweak any configuration settings if someone thinks something else is causing this. Looking forward to some feedback. Thanks a ton. Rick
it's fake g-sync(g-sync compatible) if u want to talk g-sync, get the XB273 x predator. The Alienware is a freesync monitor

it's not 1ms response time. it's really closer to 3ms response time. THe extreme overdrive is equivalent to the standard overdrive if g-sync is on.

it's only 1ms if g-sync is off, and that is where you get massive overshoot.

The alienware has very good overdrive tuning. Its standard overdrive is just as fast as the MSI, but its super fast and extreme has overshoot. Just because you don't see ghosting doesn't mean it's 1ms response time. The panel is the same as the Asus and the MSI, so if u dont' see ghosting, it's NOT 1ms, it's closer to 3-3.4ms

in my opinion, if your FPS exceed 240hz, why even bother with g-sync compatible/ Freesync? U won't get the benefits of the lower input lag the extra FPS provides, and u will get an input lag penalty if u turn on any form of adaptive sync. Over what? to avoid tearing? 240hz, unless u are the .01%, u won't see tearing on a 240hz monitor. it's refreshing at 4.17ms on a 3ms g2g average.

if u are a serious competitive player, g-sync/freesync should always be turned off. I've tested this on a multitude fo games and the input lag penalty while capping the FPS to 237 is not worth it.

if the UFO test won't v-sync, try firefox. It's likely the browser is causing the stutter.

ca_Koppin

Post by ca_Koppin » 13 May 2020, 16:55

RLCS,

Thank you so much for the reply.

Let's talk about optimum settings for me for Apex Legends. That's pretty much my main right now. Couple of questions:

1. I have the in-game fps counter and I can see that the game floats between 160-240hz. I have it capped at 237 so that makes sense. Question #1, is there a tool I can use to measure my average throughout a match? It's well known that at the start of the game and/or the "drop-in" that FPS is the lowest. Once you drop down and are on land I think I'm getting above 200FPS on average. But that's a subjective view. I'd like to get objective there.
2. I love your commentary on Gsync. Question #2. Based on what you're telling me I think you're saying turn off Gsync and set the overdrive mode to normal and I'll get a 3ms average on a 4.17ms refresh rate? Correct? Also, when I turn off Gsync, what should I set my vsync settings to in game and in the Nvidia control panel. Also, what should I cap the in game FPS to? If I dont put a setting in, Apex caps it at 144? Should I cap it at 240? Or cap it at the average I measure from testing on #1.

Once again, thanks for the help. I really appreciate this.

Chaps2

Post by Chaps2 » 03 Feb 2022, 20:17

RLCSContender* wrote:
12 May 2020, 02:16
ca_Koppin wrote:
10 May 2020, 02:26
Hey everyone,

it's fake g-sync(g-sync compatible) if u want to talk g-sync, get the XB273 x predator. The Alienware is a freesync monitor

it's not 1ms response time. it's really closer to 3ms response time. THe extreme overdrive is equivalent to the standard overdrive if g-sync is on.

it's only 1ms if g-sync is off, and that is where you get massive overshoot.

The alienware has very good overdrive tuning. Its standard overdrive is just as fast as the MSI, but its super fast and extreme has overshoot. Just because you don't see ghosting doesn't mean it's 1ms response time. The panel is the same as the Asus and the MSI, so if u dont' see ghosting, it's NOT 1ms, it's closer to 3-3.4ms

in my opinion, if your FPS exceed 240hz, why even bother with g-sync compatible/ Freesync? U won't get the benefits of the lower input lag the extra FPS provides, and u will get an input lag penalty if u turn on any form of adaptive sync. Over what? to avoid tearing? 240hz, unless u are the .01%, u won't see tearing on a 240hz monitor. it's refreshing at 4.17ms on a 3ms g2g average.

if u are a serious competitive player, g-sync/freesync should always be turned off. I've tested this on a multitude fo games and the input lag penalty while capping the FPS to 237 is not worth it.

if the UFO test won't v-sync, try firefox. It's likely the browser is causing the stutter.
Not sure what you are on about but the monitor is not fake gsync, however on mein gsync wasn't working at all, i have to send it back.