Asus VG279QM Youtube Review by Hardware Unboxed

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
RedCloudFuneral

Re: Asus VG279QM Youtube Review by Hardware Unboxed

Post by RedCloudFuneral » 13 May 2020, 01:33

To add a subtlety to the above: the eyes can be asymmetric in their perception of color both temporarily or permanently. You'll be familiar with the brain's ability to build a tolerance to strong colors if you've worn 3D glasses(of the red/green variety) or have RGB lighting in your room. You may also have a screen which appears a different hue due to which eye you view it with(The Motorola Droid Z I own is this way, I think I read it was due to the screen protection but perhaps an AG film could share this effect?) The brain is dependent on both eyes to filter out distortions, glare, and other irregularities. Any time there is asymmetry you take a hit to your ability to filter out certain stimulus. Where my understanding runs dry is linking the possible types of asymmetry and their consequences(aka what you'd be more sensitive to viewing.) This is a probably a whole other topic vs symmetrical visual limitations.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 May 2020, 02:03

That’s correct too. Another big rabbit hole of additional error margins.

Also, other factors — how some see illusions instantly, while others have difficulty (magic eye patterns, etc). Ghosting/GtG/crosstalk/etc is kind of like that, with incredibly big differences in pickiness between humans,
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Torby

Post by Torby » 13 May 2020, 02:20

I have the 258QM and liking it very much, but I'm pretty confused about something as there's conflicting messages across this forum -
I play competitive shooters (VALORANT atm) and I average around 190-200 FPS and use overdrive 80 (visible overshoot, but manageable)

Should I be using gsync or not? I see people saying it add input lag and pros never use it. However, I suspect these same pros are hitting framerates far higher than I am; meaning their extra framerates above the refresh window of the monitor reduces input lag, so they don't want to cap framerate below this window. But, as I am well below this cap, is it worth using?

Arkard

Post by Arkard » 13 May 2020, 05:31

Hello,

currently i am using an Eizo FS2434 and i plan to upgrade to a faster refresh rate monitor but keep the IPS panel.
From the tests/reviews i saw i would prefer the asus > msi as my favorites.
Atm i am using a gtx 970 and plan to upgrade to a RTX 3060/3070 later this year.
I play mainly FPS: Escape from Tarkov / Overwatch / Valorant with some League of Legends or TFT.
I am sitting 65-70 cm from my monitor.
I use my monitor also for playing on my PS4, but could switch back to my 4k TV but i like the monitor gameplay.
Maybe you could help me with some questions:
Do i have any negatives from using a 240 hz full HD monitor on a GTX 970 or is it okay, except for no g-sync/adaptive sync? I would like to wait for RTX 30xx but could also get a 2060 super/2070 super if the GTX 970 isn't enough.
My current Monitor is 23,8" and i am not sure if 27" is to big for me with 65-70 cm viewing distance particular in Full HD.
Any recommendation?
RLScontender wrote the Asus got trouble with 60 HZ/Console Signale and Input Lag makes it unplayable. The linked review Video doesn't mention anything about this. Can someone confirm or disprove this?

Torby

Post by Torby » 13 May 2020, 08:09

Arkard wrote:
13 May 2020, 05:31
Hello,

currently i am using an Eizo FS2434 and i plan to upgrade to a faster refresh rate monitor but keep the IPS panel.
From the tests/reviews i saw i would prefer the asus > msi as my favorites.
Atm i am using a gtx 970 and plan to upgrade to a RTX 3060/3070 later this year.
I play mainly FPS: Escape from Tarkov / Overwatch / Valorant with some League of Legends or TFT.
I am sitting 65-70 cm from my monitor.
I use my monitor also for playing on my PS4, but could switch back to my 4k TV but i like the monitor gameplay.
Maybe you could help me with some questions:
Do i have any negatives from using a 240 hz full HD monitor on a GTX 970 or is it okay, except for no g-sync/adaptive sync? I would like to wait for RTX 30xx but could also get a 2060 super/2070 super if the GTX 970 isn't enough.
My current Monitor is 23,8" and i am not sure if 27" is to big for me with 65-70 cm viewing distance particular in Full HD.
Any recommendation?
RLScontender wrote the Asus got trouble with 60 HZ/Console Signale and Input Lag makes it unplayable. The linked review Video doesn't mention anything about this. Can someone confirm or disprove this?
It's true the Asus has massive input lag at HDMI/60 HZ. Source: I have one

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 13 May 2020, 09:32

Why does ELMB/ULMB needs high DPI? Isn't low DPI with high ingame sensibility the same as High DPI with low ingame sensibility?
And why is high contrast needed when strobing?

Edit:I doubled the DPI to 1600 and halved the Overwatch ingame sensitivity to match the same sensitivity that I had with 800 and idk if it's placebo but I feel like my aim improved(I'm remarkably more consistent), I aim only with my wrist and I use my elbow as a pivot which is an atypical method.
800DPI with 15sens should be the same as 1600 with 7.5sens(I checked a sensitivity calculator), that's why I'm thinking it must be placebo.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 May 2020, 11:17

axaro1 wrote:
13 May 2020, 09:32
800DPI with 15sens should be the same as 1600 with 7.5sens(I checked a sensitivity calculator), that's why I'm thinking it must be placebo.
Except when you mouse slowturn.

1. Test 400dpi at 30sens.
2. Test 1600dpi at 7.5sens.

They both turn at same speeds (if you have good sensor, clean mouse feet, and 1600dpi-compatible mousepad). 1600dpi shouldn't feel worse if you maintain or upgrade your sensor/feet/pad/etc.

Huge benefit for mouse slow turns and slow pans near territory of 1000 pixels/second movements
But the magic is when you mouse slowturn; like at TestUFO speeds -- 240 pixels/sec or 480 pixels/sec or 960 pixels/sec. That starts aliasing against the lowness of 400dpi, creating a step-step effect that feels like a reduced framerate and/or jitteriness of mouse slowturns. Try turning slowly as if you're turning only one screenwidth per second, or one-half screenwidth per second.

For mouse slowturns, will see a BIG difference between 400dpi and 1600dpi. At 400dpi, it steps-steps coarsely (not TestUFO-smooth). But at 1600dpi, it pans smoothly (more TestUFO-smooth).

Low Mouse DPI limits the "effective frame rate" of the whole-screen panning of your mouse slow-moves
If you move your mouse over 1 inch to turn 960 real-world screen-width pixels or even 1920 real-world screen-width pixels, 400dpi won't hit all pixels. Only 400 of them! It looks like a lower frame rate. So your turning/panning framerate literally is steppier, with a step-step effect (as if it was a lower frame rate during very slow and medium speed mouse movement). This kills the motion blur reduction (LightBoost, PureXP, ULMB, whatever) since you're not getting the necessary fps=Hz during mouse slowturns to keep everything CRT-clear
during mouse slowturns.

In fact, double-images can occur during strobing with mouse slowturns, e.g. 1 inch going onscreen 800 pixels/sec, creating a half-frame-rate situation with a 400dpi mouse, creating double-images in PureXP+ during an onscreen 800 pixels/sec mouseturn at 400dpi

It can go ugly -- triple images during an onscreen 1200 pixels/sec mouseturns/pan at 400dpi, quadruple images during an onscreen 1600 pixels/sec mouseturn/pan at 400dpi. Assuming mouse smoothing is turned off, of course.

if you are panning in MOBA or RTS game -- slowpans will be much smoother at higher mouse DPI.

Fix your DPI and make it TestUFO smooth, baby!
Fix your DPI and say goodbye to LightBoost/PureXP/ULMB/etc double-images!
(As long as you can maintain framerate=Hz)

Many FPS players just fast flickturns, but sometimes slowturns are used (scan the field) or you play MOBA/RTS (pan around), especially when combined with blur reduction (DyAc, ELMB, VRB, ULMB, etc) which allows you to watch while turning/panning because all the slow panning is TestUFO-clear and TestUFO-smooth. NES-smooth Arcade-smooth CRT-smooth panning is what high-DPI allows.

Be noted that some players decide to use non-strobed for some games (CS:GO) and strobed for other games (MOBA and RTS), its a personal decision and preference. But the mouse dpi problem is the same regardless.

Some games will pan smoothly at slow speeds at 400dpi but that's because you've got "Mouse Smoothing" turned on (laggy). Most competitive players turn off that feature, so raising DPI is the only way to smooth the mouse during slower movements.

And as we already all know, you want stepless (full frame rate) motion, to get fps=Hz to benefit most from ULMB/ELMB/DyAc/etc. The step-step effect amplifies mouse microstutters which makes ULMB/ELMB/DyAc/LightBoost feel "jittery" during slowturns. Raising DPI fixes that problem.

Try A/B test of a 4x difference in DPI -- it's very human visible stutter-difference & ULMB clarity-difference during mouse slowturns (with Mouse Smoothing turned OFF). Slow turns feel a lot less "jittery" and more TestUFO-smooth. Elimination of motion blur amplified the visibility of tiny stutters because there's no motion blur to hide the tiniest stutters.

1600dpi is not the final frontier
*1600dpi is not the final frontier. Some gamers still see a difference between 1600dpi vs 3200dpi during low-MPRT operations (e.g. MPRT 0.5ms, LightBoost 10%, ULMB Pulse Width 50, Low Pulse Width, etc) -- Sub-millisecond MPRT (i.e. 0.5ms) benefits faster-speed motion than 1000pixels/sec (2000pixels/sec thru 4000+pixels/sec motion territory). Faster than a slow turn, but slower than a flick turn. Which is roughly the threshold of average human eye tracking speeds on a 1080p display at screenwidth viewing distance -- it is difficult to eye track faster than that speed.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 May 2020, 11:45

For users who used to use LightBoost back in year 2012

The "PureXP+ Ultra" setting is sub-millisecond MPRT territory, at approximately 0.83ms MPRT(100%) during 120Hz when strictly going by the pulsewidth mathematics (oscilloscope produces a slightly different result by approximately 0.1ms).

PureXP+ settings
Ultra is 10% refresh cycle persistence
Extreme is 20% refresh cycle persistence
Normal is 30% refresh cycle persistence
Light is 40% refresh cycle persistence.

For old-timer LightBoost users, "PureXP+ Extreme" at 120Hz is roughly equal to LightBoost 10%, and "PureXP+ Ultra" is better than LightBoost 10% -- as seen in LightBoost 10%-vs-50%-vs-100% (LightBoost was adjustable from approximately MPRT 1ms to MPRT 2ms).

For more information about what MPRT is, one can read the Pixel Response FAQ: GtG Versus MPRT

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 13 May 2020, 11:46

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
13 May 2020, 11:17

1. Test 400dpi at 30sens.
2. Test 1600dpi at 7.5sens.
The difference between 800dpi 15 and 1600 7.5 seems huge, I just tried 400 dpi 30 sens and it's massive, I'm currently trying 3200 3.75sens (I have a G Pro Wireless).

I may need to enable a DPI switch for the desktop because 3200 is way too fast

I'm still testing on the XG2402, I don't have the VG259QM yet
Last edited by axaro1 on 13 May 2020, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 May 2020, 11:49

axaro1 wrote:
13 May 2020, 11:46
The difference between 800dpi 15 and 1600 7.5 seems huge, I just tried 400 dpi 30 sens and it's massive, I'm currently trying 3200 3.75sens (I have a G Pro Wireless).

I may need to enable a DPI switch for the desktop because 3200 is way too fast
Now you're getting the benefit of high mouse DPI for PureXP+ :D

Little known competitive advantage secret tip for users of motion blur reduction modes.

IMHO, "400dpi" and "Motion Blur Reduction Mode" should apply for a divorce and never meet again.

However, be very careful, 3200dpi is bit erratic on cheap mouse pads, and older mice (older sensors do 3200dpi badly). Make sure your sensor/mouse-feet/mouse-pad can handle 3200dpi! Best to not use maximum DPI of your mouse, it can feel laggy / interpolated (faked) in the mouse logic. But, 3200dpi on those new 12,000dpi sensors are just fine if you purchase the best replacement mouse feet (unless they're very good/not worn) & the best high-resolution mouse pads.

And always clean your pad daily -- and before all important matches -- if you play competitively, 400dpi is more dirt-forgiving, 3200dpi will jitter more on dirty mouse pads. But man, those TestUFO-perfect slowturns/slowpans during DyAc/PureXP/ELMB/ULMB/etc!

As long as you maintain properly, 3200dpi at 1/8th sensitivity *should* feel the same as 400dpi, or better (clearer slow turns/panning). If feels worse or different, you've got a weak link or you just love the step-step turns (more power to 400dpi users, but might as well turn strobing OFF). My current boilerplate recommendation is 1600dpi for Motion Blur Reduction Modes because most new mice can do it OK -- but it is not the final frontier.

Yes, DPI switch is mandatory. The cursor on the desktop becomes too much of a rocket.

Warning: Weak links of the monitor also becomes more visible to some users (e.g. LCD GtG issues, crosstalk issues) when in-game motion become as smooth as TestUFO. Not everyone will notice obviously, but it is a consideration to keep in mind.