New 360 Hz IPS Gaming Monitor by DELL

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Jason38

Re: New 360 Hz IPS Gaming Monitor by DELL

Post by Jason38 » 04 Dec 2020, 00:35

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 00:10
bpg710 wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 21:30
I understand the math of doing (1000/60=16.7ms vs 1000/240=4.2ms) in order to get delay times but if Freesync is active is there still a benefit in having a 240hz or higher display for playing 60fps games in RetroArch or MAME?

I have an HP 27f IPS 75hz freesync monitor in my MAME cabinet which is also used for RetroArch. At 75hz I get a slight advantage from 60hz but is that still sufficient?

Since arcade games run at different refresh rates, (Mortal Combat - 54.7hz, Pac-man - 60.6hz) a 75hz VRR monitor allows those games to run at their native refresh rate. Would I see a noticeable difference in scrolling or less input lag if I switched to a ViewSonic XG270?

Does a setup primarily used for MAME or retro console 60fps games gain anything by having a 240hz or higher VRR monitor?

If the answer is no, would getting a 4K VRR monitor be a better option to take advantage of cleaner HLSL settings?
Are you motion-blur priority or resolution-priority?

For blur-priority (temporal resolution), consider good strobe such as XG270.
For resolution-priority (spatial resolution), consider 4K+ VRR

A good 120Hz strobed screen (ULMB, PureXP, etc) has about 1/10th the motion blur of any 75Hz FreeSync display. It's like this:

Be noted you need to do the software BFI trick to convert 120Hz-180Hz hardware strobing to 60Hz. RetroArch, for example, now supports BFI for 120Hz, 180Hz, 240Hz, and other multiples of emulator refresh rate.

Remember you cannot combine VRR and strobing at the same time on most monitors, although some models have hacks that lets you do that (e.g. ULMB 60Hz hack).

I want to buy one of these XG270's soon and was wondering do you keep the Pure XP 120 mode on when you use Retro Arch?? Or are you supposed to turn it off and use Retro Arch's BFI??? Is that a new feature with Retro Arch the 240HZ BFI mode?? I saw your thread about the 180HZ mode but never heard about this 240HZ mode.

I was also wondering as I saw someone post that the XG270 works great with the PS5 when a game runs at 120hz. I was thinking It would probably be better with the XBOX Series X cause on that system you can turn the 120HZ on in the system menu. So in theory as long as you didn't mind duplicate images you could run the Pure XP even if the Xbox game is locked 60FPS. Is that possible or is Pure XP stuck to just PC or when the XBOX game runs at 120HZ?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Dec 2020, 00:49

Jason38 wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 00:35
I want to buy one of these XG270's soon and was wondering do you keep the Pure XP 120 mode on when you use Retro Arch?? Or are you supposed to turn it off and use Retro Arch's BFI??? Is that a new feature with Retro Arch the 240HZ BFI mode?? I saw your thread about the 180HZ mode but never heard about this 240HZ mode.
The new BFI does all odd-Hz. But it's more favourable to use an odd-number multiple to prevent image retention issues from software BFI interfering with LCD inversion logic. The short answer is, 180 Hz BFI performance is better than 240 Hz BFI performance.

The normal emulator procedure is to use both hardware strobe and software BFI simultaneously. It's a workaround because of silly historic manufacturer decisions. The reason is most monitors don't support strobing properly during 60 Hz, even though it's just a simple modification... although this is slowly changing (Good News Everyone, 60 Hz Single Strobe Options).

ViewSonic XG270's single strobe range is from 75Hz to 240Hz, so the available strobing modes divisible by emulator refresh rates are 120Hz,180Hz,240Hz for 60Hz NTSC emulators, and 100Hz,150Hz,200Hz for 50Hz PAL emulators. Then after you enable hardware-based strobing, You use software-based black frame insertion to convert high-Hz hardware strobe to low-Hz hardware strobe.

Software BFI blacks-out the extra hardware strobes and turns it to a defacto equivalent of 60Hz single-strobe or 50Hz single-strobe.

So yes, you're using software BFI to convert a high hardware strobe Hz to a low hardware strobe Hz, as a workaround.

120Hz strobe looks brighter/better, but 180Hz strobe avoids the software-BFI-caused LCD temporary image retention side effects that occurs on many models of monitors (caused by software BFI interacting with LCD inversion algorithms).

(P.S. If you have further generic questions about BFI, please post BFI-related questions in a different thread, as these BFI questions are not monitor specific. I recommend the Motion Blur Reduction area for generic BFI-related questions)
Jason38 wrote:
I was also wondering as I saw someone post that the XG270 works great with the PS5 when a game runs at 120hz. I was thinking It would probably be better with the XBOX Series X cause on that system you can turn the 120HZ on in the system menu. So in theory as long as you didn't mind duplicate images you could run the Pure XP even if the Xbox game is locked 60FPS. Is that possible or is Pure XP stuck to just PC or when the XBOX game runs at 120HZ?
PureXP works fine on both XBOX and PS5 at 120Hz.

60fps at 120Hz has the same double images on both XBOX and PS5.

The only difference is that on XBOX, you enable 120Hz via system menu, and on PS5 you enable 120Hz in-game (assuming PS5 is in Performance Mode).

Most people prefer plain LCD motion-blurred 60fps over double-imaged 60fps@120Hz strobed. But it is largely a personal preference.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Jason38

Post by Jason38 » 04 Dec 2020, 01:13

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 00:49
Jason38 wrote:
The new BFI does all odd-Hz. But it's more favourable to use an odd-number multiple to prevent image retention issues from software BFI interfering with LCD inversion logic. The short answer is, 180 Hz BFI performance is better than 240 Hz BFI performance.

The normal emulator procedure is to use both hardware strobe and software BFI simultaneously. It's a workaround because of silly historic manufacturer decisions. The reason is most monitors don't support strobing properly during 60 Hz, even though it's just a simple modification... although this is slowly changing (Good News Everyone, 60 Hz Single Strobe Options).

ViewSonic XG270's single strobe range is from 75Hz to 240Hz, so the available strobing modes divisible by emulator refresh rates are 120Hz,180Hz,240Hz for 60Hz NTSC emulators, and 100Hz,150Hz,200Hz for 50Hz PAL emulators. Then after you enable hardware-based strobing, You use software-based black frame insertion to convert high-Hz hardware strobe to low-Hz hardware strobe.

Software BFI blacks-out the extra hardware strobes and turns it to a defacto equivalent of 60Hz single-strobe or 50Hz single-strobe.

So yes, you're using software BFI to convert a high hardware strobe Hz to a low hardware strobe Hz, as a workaround.

120Hz strobe looks brighter/better, but 180Hz strobe avoids the software-BFI-caused LCD temporary image retention side effects that occurs on many models of monitors (caused by software BFI interacting with LCD inversion algorithms).

(P.S. If you have further generic questions about BFI, please post BFI-related questions in a different thread, as these BFI questions are not monitor specific. I recommend the Motion Blur Reduction area for generic BFI-related questions)
Jason38 wrote:
PureXP works fine on both XBOX and PS5 at 120Hz.

60fps at 120Hz has the same double images on both XBOX and PS5.

The only difference is that on XBOX, you enable 120Hz via system menu, and on PS5 you enable 120Hz in-game (assuming PS5 is in Performance Mode).

Most people prefer plain LCD motion-blurred 60fps over double-imaged 60fps@120Hz strobed. But it is largely a personal preference.
Thanks so much! Such an incredible answer!

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 27 Jan 2021, 06:13

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
20 May 2020, 10:11
Assuming that I have a mouse with a sensor that has no smoothing across it's entire CPI range (like a Hero 25k/16k or a 3370), at what DPI do I start to see diminishing returns in terms of accuracy? (Not necessarily in strobe related scenarios)

I checked Prosettings to compare sensitivities and I noticed that higher sens players, regardless of the game, tend to play at higher DPI compared to low sense players.
I assume that the higher you go with your sensitivity the more you have to deal with micromovements to adjust your aim, such as slow mouse turns, so it does make sense to see eDPI scaling being directly proportional to DPI to a certain degree.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Jan 2021, 14:34

axaro1 wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 06:13
Assuming that I have a mouse with a sensor that has no smoothing across it's entire CPI range (like a Hero 25k/16k or a 3370), at what DPI do I start to see diminishing returns in terms of accuracy? (Not necessarily in strobe related scenarios)
Sometimes it is game dependant, which is why I wrote about the High Defintion Mouse API Proposal
axaro1 wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 06:13
I checked Prosettings to compare sensitivities and I noticed that higher sens players, regardless of the game, tend to play at higher DPI compared to low sense players.
I assume that the higher you go with your sensitivity the more you have to deal with micromovements to adjust your aim, such as slow mouse turns, so it does make sense to see eDPI scaling being directly proportional to DPI to a certain degree.
eDPI sync importance depends on whether the game supports subpixel mouseturns. Just beause 1600dpi 0.06sense is only 192 eDPI, doesn't mean there isn't 1600 possible subpixel positions in the game. A 0.5 pixel mouseturn is visible if the game supports it -- it just looks like an antialiased mouseturn, very faint but visible if you look.

Microturn shakiness is less of a problem with games supporting subpixel mouse turns. An accidental 0.1 pixel mouseturn generally doesn't screw aim as much as an accidental 1 pixel (roundoff) mouseturn.

The problem is not all games do this properly do subpixel mathematics with the mouse. (Valorant does though)

For games that properly calculates subpixel mouseturns, DPI-eDPI sync is not nearly as important.

I am frustrated at games' imperfect mouse mathematics, so hopefully my HD Mouse API idea gains traction over the long term.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!