ASUS VG278Q 144hz and screen tearing

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ovecarleone

ASUS VG278Q 144hz and screen tearing

Post by ovecarleone » 18 May 2020, 04:27

Hello everybody

I saw the tests made by Blurbusters about G-Sync, V-Sync and FPS Cap but I still am confused about something.

I bought an Omen Obelisk 875-1987nz with this specs:
Nvidia RTX 2080 TI
i9-9900k
64GB Ram 2666mhz (4 sticks)
2TB SSD

and a new monitor, the ASUS VG278Q 144hz.

NOTE: I never used G-Sync and V-Sync because I like to play competitive games and need performance.

My problem is that I get screentearing everywhere, even if I cap the FPS to 144 frames. For example, I see a bigger tearing line in DOTA in exclusive fullscreen mode and get stuttering in windowed frameless mode. FPS hits 144 frames without drops. It gets worse without frame limit.

In CoD MW I see some objects tearing the nearer I get and the faster the movement is.

I tried another monitor with 120hz nativ and did get the same result which made me believe something is wrong why my new computer. Then I called my brother who has a custom made computer with the same setup but an OC'd graphic card by Palit and 32GB RAM with 3200mhz. It seems that he has the same issue but he just doesn't care that much.

I didn't have any issues with my old pc which had a GTX 1070 and an i7-6700k. Why do I have issues with a better spec? Do competitive players with high end specs really live with such horrible screentearings?

Kind regards,
Ove

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: ASUS VG278Q 144hz and screen tearing

Post by RealNC » 19 May 2020, 08:52

If you don't sync the frames to the monitor, there's gonna be tearing. FPS does not matter. 144FPS on a 144Hz screen is going to tear if those 144 frames are not synced to the 144Hz of the monitor.

If you want to get rid of tearing, but the vsync lag is too much for you, then you need a gsync monitor, enable gsync in the control panel, and cap your FPS to 140. You should probably read our gsync 101 series of articles:

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

ovecarleone

Post by ovecarleone » 20 May 2020, 05:13

Hi RealNC

Thank you for your reply. I've been reading the series and it really is interesting.

It's just hard for me to believe/accept that I had less visual issues with an GTX 1070 than with a RTX 2080ti. :cry:

For me it is also strange that Shorudhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shroud_(gamer) says that he has never had any issues with screen tearing in any game. Yes he uses a 240hz monitor but how is this even possible? Are there monitors that reduce screen tearing/stuttering without making big changes to the nvidia settings or enabling gsync/vsync?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 20 May 2020, 06:29

There always is going to be tearing without some form of sync method. However. the lower your FPS is, the more jarring tearing becomes.

At 300FPS for example on a 144Hz display, there is going to be 2 tear lines moving rapidly over the screen, and each tear line will have a smaller difference between the previous and the new frame. At 400FPS, there's going to be 3 tear lines, and the distance between the previous/new frame is even smaller and thus tearing even less visible.

But at 144FPS@144Hz, there is going to be only one tearline, it will be moving relatively slow over the screen making it very noticeable, and the distance between the previous/new frame (meaning above/below the tearline) is going to be larger, again making tearing very noticeable.

Pro players like Shroud usually have the money to buy the fastest CPUs for CS:GO, and on top of that they lower the game's graphics details in order to get FPS as high as possible. That usually means they play at 300FPS (or even 400FPS). So tearing is not a big problem.

So the higher your FPS is, the less problematic tearing becomes. It is not going to disappear though. It's just less noticeable with very high FPS.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

fowteen

Post by fowteen » 20 May 2020, 06:55

RealNC wrote:
20 May 2020, 06:29
At 300FPS for example on a 144Hz display, there is going to be 2 tear lines moving rapidly over the screen, and each tear line will have a smaller difference between the previous and the new frame. At 400FPS, there's going to be 3 tear lines, and the distance between the previous/new frame is even smaller and thus tearing even less visible.
How do you calculate how many tear lines you will get at certain fps ranges?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 20 May 2020, 07:41

fowteen wrote:
20 May 2020, 06:55
How do you calculate how many tear lines you will get at certain fps ranges?
FPS divided by Hz. So for 400FPS, the result is 2.8, so that's actually 2 tear lines, not 3. But they move rapidly on the screen and since the number is close to 3, as soon as one of the tear lines disappears, another one will appear immediately from frame to frame, so it's going to look more like 3 tear lines.