Hi all :) Great site, gotta question

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Pht

Hi all :) Great site, gotta question

Post by Pht » 20 May 2020, 01:38

Hello everyone, found this site a few years back when looking at monitor stuff, very good info (even though the shoptalk sometimes goes right over my head), I've found it interesting and informative reading.

I'm in the US (fl), in my fifth decade, spent what gaming I did in my mis-spent youth playing on a CRT (either computer monitor or sitting in the living room close enough to see the individual phosphors - how else are you gonna shoot those dumb ducks in duckhunt when they move fast?). Some years back we got our first LCD TV and me, not knowing diddely about input lag (hey, shoot me, I grew up on CRTS!), I hooked up my NES and tried to play some SMB3 and just could not get past a certain level (the angry sun chasing you across the desert and quicksand) ... cue much reading and I found this site as I wandered slowly (years) down the rabbit hole on monitor tech (anyone have a working 32 inch sony BVM-A they can send me? If I can carry it out to my car, can I have it for free? :lol: ).

Anyways, very long story short, I've always been a poor slob (my fault, I own that) and haven't been able to score a new computer for a very long time (my last was a laptop circa 2009, hand-me-down), not complaining, just saying how it is. 8-) Recently I've gotten some spending money as I was switched to work from home and I've managed to score myself some parts to make a computer ... buuuut ... knowing how it is with monitors, AND that I'm used to a CRT... I figured I had better come ask.

In the 250 bucks and less ballpark, how does the *available* crop of monitors fall out? Yes, I saw the monitor list on the front page of the website, but it didn't sort by price and I actually did wanna come say, Thanks for the work and info at the site. 250 is pretty firm (such is life).

Thanks, ahead of time. ;)

Pht

Re: Hi all :) Great site, gotta question

Post by Pht » 20 May 2020, 10:26

Also, for what it's worth, I'm going to be on a gtx1650, so g-synch is a real plus, and I've generally found that the motion issues with lcd screens bug me more than the color fidelity stuff. Still trawling the forums here and going down the recommended list.

Pht

Re: Hi all :) Great site, gotta question

Post by Pht » 23 May 2020, 01:27

Well, ok, did a bit of reading here and elsewhere.

Went to the higher end of the poorman's bracket and scored the viewsonic xg2402 (about 239 usd).

Adaptive sync is new to me (heck, just about everything is catchup land for me), but reportedly it's g-sync compat (as in works, even if it doesn't show on nvidia's list).

I keep hearing people talking about "recommended settings" for color and what not, and etc. I'm gathering there's some stuff regarding setup on it I'll be having to find/bone up on - if anyone in these parts knows that off the top of their head and would be willing to point me to the well, or tell me where to look to find it, I'd much appreciate it.