Contrast recommendation setting?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
disq

Contrast recommendation setting?

Post by disq » 23 May 2020, 15:52

So, today i was messing around with my monitor settings and i've found that i've been using it for years with 0% Contrast setting

And that's why i'm creating this thread because i don't know if this somewhat a negative thing to do?! In monitors reviews they always talk about Contrast ratio which needs to be at a certain value for optimal results, etc but i really don't understand these "features" and my native language not being English doesn't help either

Should we use the Default value for it? I know that Brightness is more of a personal taste but not really sure about Contrast

I've set it now to 50% and O.O i'm not sure i would tolerate such thing

RedCloudFuneral

Re: Contrast recommendation setting?

Post by RedCloudFuneral » 23 May 2020, 20:50

You can use a 'contrast test' online to check if you are limiting yourself with too high or too low a setting. These tests will show charts of boxes at varying shades of brightness. I use this one here: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php You should see in the white-black scale at least a difference in each box, if they blend together it means your setting is too low or high. The color settings I expect will blur to some degree(they do on my monitor.)

So long as you can distinguish each shade & assuming you don't require perfect accuracy for your job(if you are doing digital content creation) you're free to set the monitor by taste. There's no wrong setting & the contrast setting interplays with brightness/color/etc. On my screen when I boost the colors I need to reduce the contrast to compensate.