are there 240hz monitors that perform at 144fps same as 240?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
fowteen

Re: are there 240hz monitors that perform at 144fps same as 240?

Post by fowteen » 27 May 2020, 10:26

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
26 May 2020, 22:02
Perfect overdrive setting for 100fps may produce ghosting at 200fps
Perfect overdrive setting for 200fps may produce coronas at 100fps
So you tune your overdrive menu setting towards the common frame rate you plan to use.
So native g-sync's variable overdrive is the only way you can achieve a ghostless/coronaless experience at all framerates without having to change the overdrive setting according to what fps you are playing at like you mentioned above?

Also, does freesync/g-sync add input delay on every panel?

kofman13

Post by kofman13 » 27 May 2020, 11:07

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
26 May 2020, 19:58
kofman13 wrote:
25 May 2020, 13:58
I am shopping around and i keep seeing reviews like from HardwareUnboxed where so many monitors they show seem to have worse performance at 144fps than at 240fps. (aside from obvious lower frame rate smoothness).
Are there are 240hz monitors ( i dont care about price) that can handle ALL frame rates equality the same performance?
do true G Sync monitors do this better?
The answer is complicated to answer, but the answer is yes and no. And yes, it's confusing.

I will attempt to break it down.

VRR performance consideration: Can be equal contenders if you pick right panel
Yes, especially if you turn on VRR and choose a good model (especially G-SYNC native). However, beware of overdrive issues of cheaper VRR implementations (e.g. generic Adaptive Sync without VRR-aware overdrive), where different framerates may have ghosting and other frame rates may have coronas, because overdrive behaves differently at different frame rates. Improved NVIDIA G-SYNC calibration solves most of this.

Framerate performance consideration: 240Hz can be less laggy for 144fps
Yes, especially for 144fps VSYNC OFF during 240Hz mode. 144fps at 240Hz can feel less laggy than 144fps at 144Hz.

Lower-Hz latency consideration: 240Hz panels can more laggy at 144Hz
No, for fixed-Hz 144Hz (actually switching refresh rates to 144Hz -- underclocking the refresh rate) -- if it's one of those scanrate-converting TCONs, since 144Hz mode can have more input lag on 240Hz panels, if the monitor buffers a slow-scanning 1/144sec refresh cycle to output more quickly to a panel that requires a faster 1/240sec scanout refresh.

Strobe quality consideration (ULMB, ELMB, DyAc, PureXP, etc): Lower Hz usually generates less crosstalk
Lower Hz usually has less strobe crosstalk on a higher-Hz monitor. 120Hz strobed on a 240hz panel is superior to 120Hz strobed on a 144Hz panel (assuming panel has the same GtG behaviour). The Blur Busters Approved takes advantage of refresh rate headroom to improve quality of strobing. Additionally, the same type of technology issue is also partially why NVIDIA ULMB only works at lower refresh rates than max Hz.
Thank you you're a legend. So let me summarize to see if i understand. I only have to worry about Overshoot and overdrive at different FPS ONLY IF i am using VRR like free sync for example(But pure real G Sync monitors don't have this issue?). If i turn off VRR, run the monitor at 240hz. and just cap my game to a lower stable FPS with riva tuner, then i dont have to worry about these issues(if said game can only run well at 144 or 150fps )?
So it seems like if i really care about perfect VRR performance across a wide specrum of frame rates i should splurge on a real G Sync monitor?
Also waiting for XL2546S to go on sale in NA so i can see reviews of that. DYAC seems very impressive. I just want the fastest crispest motion. a little afraid of DYAC though since some youtubers said it made them feel a little the first few days

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 May 2020, 12:55

kofman13 wrote:
27 May 2020, 11:07
Thank you you're a legend. So let me summarize to see if i understand. I only have to worry about Overshoot and overdrive at different FPS ONLY IF i am using VRR like free sync for example(But pure real G Sync monitors don't have this issue?). If i turn off VRR, run the monitor at 240hz. and just cap my game to a lower stable FPS with riva tuner, then i dont have to worry about these issues(if said game can only run well at 144 or 150fps )?
So it seems like if i really care about perfect VRR performance across a wide specrum of frame rates i should splurge on a real G Sync monitor?
For VRR ON, you got it correct.

For VRR OFF, not correct. You still have issues with overdrive with VRR OFF, it's just a fixed amount of artifact rather than a varying amount of artifact. You still have to adjust (tune) your overdive to your user preference. Also, capping non-VRR has NO EFFECT on the current overdrive setting (which will have the same artifact regardless of whether or not you cap your non-VRR). For more information, see LCD Motion Artifacts 101, as well as LCD Overdrive Artifacts, which I wrote way back in year 2012 as it has been a recurring issue to all LCDs ever invented. Not everyone sees them much especially if they only use Apple/Samsung displays (since they are well tuned for overdrive) but gaming monitors tend to be different beasts.
kofman13 wrote:
Also waiting for XL2546S to go on sale in NA so i can see reviews of that. DYAC seems very impressive. I just want the fastest crispest motion. a little afraid of DYAC though since some youtubers said it made them feel a little the first few days
VRR is a feature that can be turned ON / OFF
DyAc is a feature that can be turned ON / OFF

VRR and DyAc has separate pros/cons.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

fowteen

Post by fowteen » 27 May 2020, 12:59

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
27 May 2020, 12:55
You still have issues with overdrive with VRR OFF, it's just a fixed amount of artifact rather than a varying amount of artifact. You still have to adjust (tune) your overdive to your user preference.
So the artifacts like overshoot will be of the same amount at any fps on fixed 240hz no variable refresh rate?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 May 2020, 13:01

fowteen wrote:
27 May 2020, 12:59
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
You still have issues with overdrive with VRR OFF, it's just a fixed amount of artifact rather than a varying amount of artifact. You still have to adjust (tune) your overdive to your user preference.
So the artifacts like overshoot will be of the same amount at any fps on fixed 240hz no variable refresh rate?
There might be no issue.

Depends on many factors
- Monitor model
- Overdrive setting in monitor menu
- How faint/intense they are
- How sensitive you are to them

Remember, people like to complain when they post in the forums, so it often exaggerates the extent of the problem, for the average person who don't notice them.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

kofman13

Post by kofman13 » 27 May 2020, 14:12

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
kofman13 wrote:
For VRR ON, you got it correct.

For VRR OFF, not correct. You still have issues with overdrive with VRR OFF, it's just a fixed amount of artifact rather than a varying amount of artifact. You still have to adjust (tune) your overdive to your user preference. Also, capping non-VRR has NO EFFECT on the current overdrive setting (which will have the same artifact regardless of whether or not you cap your non-VRR). For more information, see LCD Motion Artifacts 101, as well as LCD Overdrive Artifacts, which I wrote way back in year 2012 as it has been a recurring issue to all LCDs ever invented. Not everyone sees them much especially if they only use Apple/Samsung displays (since they are well tuned for overdrive) but gaming monitors tend to be different beasts.
kofman13 wrote:
VRR is a feature that can be turned ON / OFF
DyAc is a feature that can be turned ON / OFF

VRR and DyAc has separate pros/cons.
Would zowie XL2546S be worth it for super crisp motion, even if i leave DYAC off?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 May 2020, 15:39

kofman13 wrote:
27 May 2020, 14:12
Would zowie XL2546S be worth it for super crisp motion, even if i leave DYAC off?
If you have been using 60Hz for years -- then most 240Hz panels will already appear to have crisp motion already. The differnces between 240Hz monitors are as minor as differences between 60Hz monitors, it's the leap between 60Hz and 240Hz that generally is gigantic.

For a sample-and-hold display technology such as LCD screens -- then 240Hz has approximately one-quarter the motion blur of 60Hz for common operations such as scrolling, panning, dragging windows, MOBA panning, FPS turning, at full frame rates.

Just like 120Hz iPads have about half scrolling motion blur, the 240Hz desktop monitors, will have about one-quarter the scrolling motion blur, since the high Hz + high framerate also reduces display motion blur.

ballzley

Post by ballzley » 27 May 2020, 23:16

great discussion here. thanks guys