are there 240hz monitors that perform at 144fps same as 240?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
kofman13

are there 240hz monitors that perform at 144fps same as 240?

Post by kofman13 » 25 May 2020, 13:58

Are there 240hz monitors that have the same EXACT performance in terms of response time, motion blur, ghosting, overshoot, corona, overdrive at both their max 240fps, but ALSO lower fps like 144. I was thinking of getting a 240hz monitor for games that i can run at 240 like csgo valorant overwatch but also games that i would run at 144 like warzone and apex legends but i dont want those lower frame rate games to look worse in terms of pixel response on said 240hz monitor.
I am shopping around and i keep seeing reviews like from HardwareUnboxed where so many monitors they show seem to have worse performance at 144fps than at 240fps. (aside from obvious lower frame rate smoothness).
Are there are 240hz monitors ( i dont care about price) that can handle ALL frame rates equality the same performance?
do true G Sync monitors do this better?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: are there 240hz monitors that perform at 144fps same as 240?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 May 2020, 19:58

kofman13 wrote:
25 May 2020, 13:58
I am shopping around and i keep seeing reviews like from HardwareUnboxed where so many monitors they show seem to have worse performance at 144fps than at 240fps. (aside from obvious lower frame rate smoothness).
Are there are 240hz monitors ( i dont care about price) that can handle ALL frame rates equality the same performance?
do true G Sync monitors do this better?
The answer is complicated to answer, but the answer is yes and no. And yes, it's confusing.

I will attempt to break it down.

VRR performance consideration: Can be equal contenders if you pick right panel
Yes, especially if you turn on VRR and choose a good model (especially G-SYNC native). However, beware of overdrive issues of cheaper VRR implementations (e.g. generic Adaptive Sync without VRR-aware overdrive), where different framerates may have ghosting and other frame rates may have coronas, because overdrive behaves differently at different frame rates. Improved NVIDIA G-SYNC calibration solves most of this.

Framerate performance consideration: 240Hz can be less laggy for 144fps
Yes, especially for 144fps VSYNC OFF during 240Hz mode. 144fps at 240Hz can feel less laggy than 144fps at 144Hz.

Lower-Hz latency consideration: 240Hz panels can more laggy at 144Hz
No, for fixed-Hz 144Hz (actually switching refresh rates to 144Hz -- underclocking the refresh rate) -- if it's one of those scanrate-converting TCONs, since 144Hz mode can have more input lag on 240Hz panels, if the monitor buffers a slow-scanning 1/144sec refresh cycle to output more quickly to a panel that requires a faster 1/240sec scanout refresh.

Strobe quality consideration (ULMB, ELMB, DyAc, PureXP, etc): Lower Hz usually generates less crosstalk
Lower Hz usually has less strobe crosstalk on a higher-Hz monitor. 120Hz strobed on a 240hz panel is superior to 120Hz strobed on a 144Hz panel (assuming panel has the same GtG behaviour). The Blur Busters Approved takes advantage of refresh rate headroom to improve quality of strobing. Additionally, the same type of technology issue is also partially why NVIDIA ULMB only works at lower refresh rates than max Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

fowteen

Post by fowteen » 26 May 2020, 20:20

I have never used a monitor with a strobed backlight/motion blur reduction mode. When you activate this, can you set the strobing to be at any refresh rate or does the monitor only let you select certain refresh rates to be strobed at? If so, what are the most common refresh rates.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 May 2020, 20:35

fowteen wrote:
26 May 2020, 20:20
I have never used a monitor with a strobed backlight/motion blur reduction mode. When you activate this, can you set the strobing to be at any refresh rate or does the monitor only let you select certain refresh rates to be strobed at? If so, what are the most common refresh rates.
Varies from monitor to monitor:
- Some models limit the strobe range to certain refresh rates (e.g. 100Hz, 120Hz, 144Hz)
- Some models lets you strobe at any Hz within a continuous range (e.g. any Hz, 75Hz to 240Hz)
- Some models lock the highest strobe Hz (e.g. max 144Hz on a 240Hz monitor)

For more information, see Motion Blur Reduction FAQ.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

fowteen

Post by fowteen » 26 May 2020, 20:40

So if you play on a 240hz monitor without using native gsync, there is no way to get a corona-less/ghosting-less experience at framerates under 240?

iopq

Post by iopq » 26 May 2020, 21:06

fowteen wrote:
26 May 2020, 20:40
So if you play on a 240hz monitor without using native gsync, there is no way to get a corona-less/ghosting-less experience at framerates under 240?
You can, for example by strobing at a lower refresh rate

fowteen

Post by fowteen » 26 May 2020, 21:10

sorry, should have said at 240hz

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 May 2020, 21:14

fowteen wrote:
26 May 2020, 20:40
VRR based ghosting varies a lot from panel to panel. It depends on the panel. There are some good non-G-SYNC-native panels (usually the NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible certified FreeSync panels) that have far less ghosting/corona problems than generic Adaptive Sync panels with no overdrive tuning at all.

It depends on how sensitive you are to very subtle (faint) overdrive artifacts. Some people are VERY sensitive, while others are not at all.

fowteen

Post by fowteen » 26 May 2020, 21:18

So if I am not sensitive to these artifacts then should I not worry about getting a native gsync panel. Also what about if no sort of variable refresh rate technology is used, then will the artifacts at lower frame rates be more noticable compared to a g-sync compatible panel?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 May 2020, 22:02

fowteen wrote:
26 May 2020, 21:18
So if I am not sensitive to these artifacts then should I not worry about getting a native gsync panel. Also what about if no sort of variable refresh rate technology is used, then will the artifacts at lower frame rates be more noticable compared to a g-sync compatible panel?
It depends on panel.
It depends on overdrive setting.

You can change overdrive setting on some of them.
Perfect overdrive setting for 100fps may produce ghosting at 200fps
Perfect overdrive setting for 200fps may produce coronas at 100fps
So you tune your overdrive menu setting towards the common frame rate you plan to use.