BenQ Xl2730z Horizontal Lines

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Arethis

BenQ Xl2730z Horizontal Lines

Post by Arethis » 25 May 2020, 16:36

My monitor started displaying these lines. They are always here. Does this mean my screen is dead ?
Attachments
image0.jpg
image0.jpg (8.03 KiB) Viewed 2584 times

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: BenQ Xl2730z Horizontal Lines

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 May 2020, 19:54

Is this only the top part of the screen?

It might potentially be LCD image retention, if it's not a single-pixel-row defect -- it looks like a solid fill for the top part, such as the top portion of a web browser window.

If you are using a Large Vertical Total combined with strobing, temporarily switch to a lower refresh rate and turn off strobing (or delete the Large Vertical Total), and run a full screen video for a few hours (non-letterboxed -- no black bars) to exercise all pixels of the screen.

This might be a panel defect, but since this is an XL2730Z, long periods of strobing may create this issue -- as an LCD image retention behavior.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Arethis

Post by Arethis » 27 May 2020, 11:47

This is the bottom part of the screen. I am using nothing in special.

I am only using this solution to use gsync https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comment ... _at_144hz/

I don't even know if my strobing is on. How can I check my vertical total ?

Arethis

Post by Arethis » 27 May 2020, 11:54

Okay this is my vertical total.
https://puu.sh/FPtZw/97e8f54611.png
I think strobing is blur reduction on my monitors settings. I haven't turned it on since I got it.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 May 2020, 12:37

If you don't know what your vertical total is, then it doesn't matter -- it only matters if you have changed it and been intentionally using custom overclocked vertical totals for many years (like 6 years). If you haven't touched it, it is not relevant to you.

Right now, this is likely a panel defect at this stage -- but try the anti-burn-in techniques and see what happens.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Arethis

Post by Arethis » 27 May 2020, 13:39

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
27 May 2020, 12:37
If you don't know what your vertical total is, then it doesn't matter -- it only matters if you have changed it and been intentionally using custom overclocked vertical totals for many years (like 6 years). If you haven't touched it, it is not relevant to you.

Right now, this is likely a panel defect at this stage -- but try the anti-burn-in techniques and see what happens.
I guess I should learn how to live with it. Thanks for your help though.