Is this normal for a 240hz display?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ayeTop

Is this normal for a 240hz display?

Post by ayeTop » 28 May 2020, 03:50

phpBB [video]

[EDIT: Added [video] and [img] tags]

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Is this normal for a 240hz display?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 May 2020, 13:39

Can you please describe the problem?

There is microstuttering, but that can be generated by some smartphone cameras, so I'm not assuming it's the monitor.

I recommend forum posts provide a minimum 1-paragraph description of the problem with accompanying images.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ayeTop

Post by ayeTop » 28 May 2020, 21:02

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
28 May 2020, 13:39
Can you please describe the problem?

There is microstuttering, but that can be generated by some smartphone cameras, so I'm not assuming it's the monitor.

I recommend forum posts provide a minimum 1-paragraph description of the problem with accompanying images.
Even without the phone it stutters. Is that normal? My monitor has always felt like something was off. Is it suppose to be smooth with 240hz?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 May 2020, 22:03

It's unusual --

It's supposed to be smooth.

Are you using single-monitor? Multiple-Hz multiple-monitors are the most common culprit in this problem.

If you're using only one monitor, can you test a different browser such as FireFox?

Also, what model of 240Hz display? Some early 240Hz monitors in 2017 had frame skipping bugs. You may need to photograph www.testufo.com/frameskipping and apply the bugfixes recommended in that thread.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

STOPchris

Post by STOPchris » 28 May 2020, 22:10

I've never really got that UFO test to run without occasionally stuttering, on any of the monitors I've had over the years. And, I have had a lot of monitors.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 May 2020, 22:33

A few occasional random stutters are normal, especially on some computers -- it's a browser issue. If you close all windows and ALL browser tabs, run TestUFO as only window, it should be able to sync to 240Hz and stay stable for reasonably sustained periods unless it's a crud-filled Windows system. Browsers are sensitive to stutter.

However, continuous permanent microstuttering (like what I see in the video) like that is not normal.

- Is it always permanent continuous cyclic stutter (>10 stutters per second)? (That's a hint of a frameskipping problem)
- What model of 240Hz monitor are you using?

ayeTop

Post by ayeTop » 29 May 2020, 03:42

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
28 May 2020, 22:03
It's unusual --

It's supposed to be smooth.

Are you using single-monitor? Multiple-Hz multiple-monitors are the most common culprit in this problem.

If you're using only one monitor, can you test a different browser such as FireFox?

Also, what model of 240Hz display? Some early 240Hz monitors in 2017 had frame skipping bugs. You may need to photograph www.testufo.com/frameskipping and apply the bugfixes recommended in that thread.
I'm using a tv connected via hdmi to my gpu and my only monitor the zowie xl2540 that ive had for a while. Could it be related to my gpu going out? Tried it on chrome, same issue. But I will try the bugfixes in the thread

Edit: I tried both fixes and none did the trick. I did buy this monitor around the time it came out. I have version 2 of the monitor. Could be related to my gpu, I've noticed sometimes my computer goes to shit and I can't even run chrome without huge stuttering.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 29 May 2020, 05:47

As a test, disconnect the TV and only leave the 240Hz monitor connected to your video card. Reboot and see if that fixes it.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

ayeTop

Post by ayeTop » 29 May 2020, 23:29

RealNC wrote:
29 May 2020, 05:47
As a test, disconnect the TV and only leave the 240Hz monitor connected to your video card. Reboot and see if that fixes it.
Tried that and it did not do anything

STOPchris

Post by STOPchris » 29 May 2020, 23:35

What's strange is that it is green at the bottom the whole time. I'm pretty sure that does mean it is synced. What control panel settings do you have? Gsync on? Gsync full screen or windowed and full screen? Frame rate caps anywhere?