Panels hz settings Options ?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Joel D

Panels hz settings Options ?

Post by Joel D » 31 May 2020, 16:09

Please educate me on some simple questions. Sorry to sound so ignorant on this rudimentary subject, but I am new to this and want to learn. (also want to do things right in my set up).

1) When you buy say a 240hz monitor. Do you have the option to set it to lower hz settings for a certain task ? (for instance if the feed itself is only a lower hz max) ? Or is a xxxHz monitor only suppose to get a corresponding xxxHz feed ?

2) I'm seeing some posts here that are making me think 240hz is pretty top tier for the technology of the best video cards out currently (Nvidia 2080i) - Making it so running at 240hz constantly for hours (heavy competitive online gaming feeds) may cause performance issues, heat issues, drops, stuttering, not smooth movement, etc.. Is this really the case ? (for 1920x1080 @ 240hz)

Some are saying since 144hz is just a notch down, you don't really notice any difference, yet the overhead of computing allows for much smoother performance over them long hours. This sounds logical - So though my plan was to run 240hz and I even purchased the monitor already (BUT it hasn't shipped yet) I was curious if I could just set the 240hz MSI monitor to 144hz and feed it 144hz setting from the card and all is well ? Or does it not work like that and I have to get a 144hz monitor ?

But the question does still remain, for when I want to see something on the screen where the feed itself isn't 240hz. Kinda hoping the monitor hz is adjustable to match the feed. All the way down to 60hz. Does this work ?

Q83Ia7ta

Re: Panels hz settings Options ?

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 31 May 2020, 19:31

1. Yes, you can set 60/144/240hz easily in the operating system easily.
2. No.

Joel D

Re: Panels hz settings Options ?

Post by Joel D » 01 Jun 2020, 00:25

Q83Ia7ta wrote:
31 May 2020, 19:31
1. Yes, you can set 60/144/240hz easily in the operating system easily.
2. No.
Great to know ! Thanks for the answer Q83 ! Dang I didn't know the monitor had a operating system (never owned a monitor like the one I'm getting). That sounds intense. Either way, it keeps me confident with my order and I will keep it as is and just read the manual when it gets here and set settings. lol

I imagine how it works is, I need to know the sources fps first. And whatever that is I set my Nvidia graphics card to that setting too (or does it just do that automatically ?) Then once that's all set, I go to my monitor and set the hz of the monitor to the same fps the computer settings are at ? (or is that done automatically ?)