Refresh Rate and FPS Optimal setting! [use framerate limit?]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Kirayamato

Refresh Rate and FPS Optimal setting! [use framerate limit?]

Post by Kirayamato » 25 Dec 2013, 23:15

Hi as i mentioned in my previous post i have the Benq xl2420te and i play at 144 hz while playing cod at 142 fps that is anoter sweet spot but either way i get stable 142 fps and i run my monitor at 144 hz is this in any way pad for input lag i have my maximum pre rendered frame set to 1 for the least input lag so as i am running at 142 fps at 144 hz with vsync off obv will i be experiencing any extra input lag as i am below the 144 hz threshhold or should i make a setting for my monitor to be at 142 hz or something while playing Cod i am really intrigued :geek:

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Refresh Rate and FPS Optimal setting!

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Dec 2013, 08:11

If you are playing VSYNC OFF instead of GSYNC, you may want to try a higher fps_max such as 300, since that is even less input lag.

There can be good reasons (situation dependant) to set a frame rate cap slightly below your monitor's refresh rate, but a good understanding of why that's useful is needed. In those situations if you changed your monitor Hz downwards, the ideal rate would shift (e.g. fps_max of 140 or 141 being used with a 142Hz monitor).

One reason (not the only reason) why this is being done, is that a minor framerate-refreshrate difference is often necessary to avoid the stationary/slow moving tearline effect. Where the tearing artifact becomes much more noticeable. This is not a problem with GSYNC or VSYNC ON, but the "142" advice (for GSYNC) I've given may or may not apply in your specific situation -- and you might be better off using a frame cap far higher than your refresh rate, depending on which games.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Kirayamato

Post by Kirayamato » 27 Dec 2013, 03:09

i dont have gsync so i should stick with 142 fps or go with something above the monitors hz or below

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Dec 2013, 13:19

Kirayamato wrote:i dont have gsync so i should stick with 142 fps or go with something above the monitors hz or below
That depends on a huge number of variables:
- Game engine. Some games work best with a frame cap, while other games work best uncapped.
- GPU horsepower.
- VSYNC ON versus VSYNC OFF versus GSYNC.
- Your personal preference.
- Whether you have a gaming mouse (1000Hz preferred)

Examples:
...As one extreme case, CounterStrike using a Geforce Titan and a good gaming mouse. For this situation, competitive game players often notice much better response at 300fps than at 144fps, so a higher fps_max is preferred in this situation.
...On another extreme, Sky Rim. That game runs terribly at a higher frame rate, and works best at 60 frames per second, or it starts behaving strangely (glitches when you try to force the game to run at 120fps).
...In a middling situation, there's Quake Live, which has an internal cap of 125 frames per second. (or 250 frames per second in the new version).
...For solo gameplay, and when you don't need to worry as much about input lag, but you care about perfect motion fluidity (e.g. like a perfect motion test), VSYNC ON is pretty attractive especially on strobed displays, if you never get frame rate going lower than strobe rate (e.g. your GPU is powerful enough to always play at 120fps at 120Hz). The buttery-smooth CRT motion fluidity of VSYNC ON 120fps@120Hz, zero tearing and zero stutters, is quite attractive to motion fluidity nuts (like me), that can tolerate a minor amount of lag (~8ms) to get that motion fluidity nirvana.
...Those who despise tearing and stutters, but otherwise like using VSYNC ON, may wish to attempt the "Adaptive VSYNC" compromise if you have an NVIDIA card. This allows you to get the VSYNC ON motion fluidity nirvana, while avoiding the sudden framerate halving effects whenever the frame rate slows down)
...Most modern video games are highly variable in framerates, so for those, GSYNC performs quite admirably and is the next best thing to buttered bread, if you hate stutters/tearing, but love to keep your games at Ultra settings without a quad Titan SLI.
____

Bottom line, for your specific situation -- Call of Duty -- Try frame rate capping to 142, and try uncapping. Play both ways. See how it peforms, see how the mouse feels. Do you feel a difference? (Uncapping is done by editing the configuration and changing the fps to "0", specifically for Call of Duty games).

The "To cap or not to cap" question is a situation-by-situation basis. There is no general "one size fits all" rule.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Kirayamato

Re: Refresh Rate and FPS Optimal setting! [use framerate lim

Post by Kirayamato » 28 Dec 2013, 02:45

well i was just talking about input lag just evaluating difference between being abit below the monitors refresh or above what will usually be better for input lag as the cpu gpu also has to pre render one frame so wouldn't it be abit better being abit above the monitors refresh rate for lower input lag (i dont care about screen tearing as i dont notice it)