Asus PG279QE help

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
rane94

Asus PG279QE help

Post by rane94 » 01 Jun 2020, 07:23

hi
i bought the PG279QE IPS monitor 2k 165hz Gsync module and the first unit had bad image retention,so bad that i could read the quests text after quitting the game (noticed it on bright gray dark gray image).
i also did the Ghosting Pursuit Camera test with that blacklines and those white does between the UFOs and after 5-10mins of leaving it running i quit the test and i could see the white dots on my screen for like 15mins on bright gray and dark gray image and the parts of the screen where the blacklines with the flickering dots were i could see 3 electric static lines on the screen that keep flickering for 15mins until it went away.

i returned it and now i get a another unit.

now i have constant fear from image retention which i never seen or known before.
now i have couple of questions:

1. Image Retention is a thing with IPS gaming monitors or it can happen on TN panels as well?
2. the PG279QE have no review and no panel info and i have no idea which panel they are using on this model with the "E" at the end
how can i know which panel they are using on this model? maybe theres a way to enter to the debug mode and see the Panel ID?
3. should i risk it and get another unit or go for TN panel instead?

that image retention thingy left bad taste in my mouth and i have no idea what to do
can someone help me with please?

Kasey00

Re: Asus PG279QE help

Post by Kasey00 » 04 Jun 2020, 01:39

TN panels do use LCD screens, which can get burn-ins. Luckily this is a rare circumstance that doesn’t seem to occur very often. In fact, most users report that the only way you are going to get a burn-in is to constantly leave your monitor on one static image for days at a time. Many burn-ins reported with TN monitors are often misdiagnosed by users and come from other problems in the model’s panel.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Jun 2020, 02:45

Some LCD panels are prone to image retention from certain flicker patterns, black frame insertion, but this is normally reversible by running full screen video or other content for a roughly equal period to erase the static electric buildup from unbalanced/defeated voltage inversion algorithms.

Temporary burn-in is because certain types of flicker pattwrns defeats the LCD inversion electronics in certain panels, but it varies from panel to panel. LCD inversion is the opposite-voltage spatially and temporally. Basically pixels have to swap between positive voltage and negative voltage every other refresh cycle.

Sometimes this happens with software-based black frame insertion algorithms, which can interact with LCD inversion behaviors. Because BFI is even-numbered, it builds up a static electricity charge in the pixels because the opposite polarities are now unbalanced (positive voltage black, negative voltage non-black, or vice-versa). A more perfect smarter inversion would be a random error-difusion voltage inversion pattern, but those are not used.

- LCD pixels are often a chessboard of voltage polarities spatially
- LCD pixels will swap polarities in adjacent refresh cycles

Occasionally it creates artifacts (should be invisible, but sometimes the voltage polarities become visible)

The chessboard polarity pattern normally inverts next refresh cycle (inverted pattern, aka LCD voltage inversion). But synchronized flicker means the visible refreshes may mean polarity can go unbalanced and a static charge builds up in the LCD pixel. The same voltage polarity, creating a static chessboard + accelerated burnin effect because of static electric charge buildup, creating temporary LCD image retention.

Erasure of temporary image retention is done by displaying orher things, such as video.

It is mostly a static-electricity-style behavior, and is not permanent like CRT burn-in. It is mostly a static-electricity-style behavior, and is not permanent like CRT burn-in. It is mostly a static-electricity-style behavior, and is generally never permanent like CRT burn-in, unless there is poor inversion algorithms that are bypassed for a long time period like several days (via a monitor bug, or other issue).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

rane94

Post by rane94 » 05 Jun 2020, 23:01

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 02:45
Some LCD panels are prone to image retention from certain flicker patterns, black frame insertion, but this is normally reversible by running full screen video or other content for a roughly equal period to erase the static electric buildup from unbalanced/defeated voltage inversion algorithms.

Temporary burn-in is because certain types of flicker pattwrns defeats the LCD inversion electronics in certain panels, but it varies from panel to panel. LCD inversion is the opposite-voltage spatially and temporally. Basically pixels have to swap between positive voltage and negative voltage every other refresh cycle.

Sometimes this happens with software-based black frame insertion algorithms, which can interact with LCD inversion behaviors. Because BFI is even-numbered, it builds up a static electricity charge in the pixels because the opposite polarities are now unbalanced (positive voltage black, negative voltage non-black, or vice-versa). A more perfect smarter inversion would be a random error-difusion voltage inversion pattern, but those are not used.

- LCD pixels are often a chessboard of voltage polarities spatially
- LCD pixels will swap polarities in adjacent refresh cycles

Occasionally it creates artifacts (should be invisible, but sometimes the voltage polarities become visible)

The chessboard polarity pattern normally inverts next refresh cycle (inverted pattern, aka LCD voltage inversion). But synchronized flicker means the visible refreshes may mean polarity can go unbalanced and a static charge builds up in the LCD pixel. The same voltage polarity, creating a static chessboard + accelerated burnin effect because of static electric charge buildup, creating temporary LCD image retention.

Erasure of temporary image retention is done by displaying orher things, such as video.

It is mostly a static-electricity-style behavior, and is not permanent like CRT burn-in. It is mostly a static-electricity-style behavior, and is generally never permanent like CRT burn-in, unless there is poor inversion algorithms that are bypassed for a long time period like several days (via a monitor bug, or other issue).
ok but my question is if this panel will be prone to image retention like static images and stuff because after all its a gaming monitor and when i game theres HUD stuff on the screen that are static and i dont want to get image retention because i heard if image retention appears its only getting worse and worse and people considering it as defective panels, can you approve that Chief?

what tests do i need to do to be sure theres no image retention under normal usage or long gaming?

P.S.
when i change the refresh rate to 60hz and doin the camera pursing ghost test i start seeing image retention after 1 minute and it looks like that:

https://imgur.com/5SyDgQ3
https://imgur.com/AJ7Ji9j

here at the second comment where the images are thats what i see after 1 min but on 144hz its taking abit longer:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-moni ... lines.html

what are you suggesting Chief? i need your help! :(

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Jun 2020, 17:27

rane94 wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 23:01
what tests do i need to do to be sure theres no image retention under normal usage or long gaming?
Regular gaming won't trigger image retention, unless you are using 3D Glasses, or other algorithms such as software-based black frame insertion.

Even for those, there are algorithmic workarounds to prevent image retention as well.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!