Will I notice the diff between 240 and 300hz?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
svperstar

Will I notice the diff between 240 and 300hz?

Post by svperstar » 05 Jun 2020, 08:33

So I preordered a ASUS laptop with a 300hz 3 ms panel. I guess due to coronavirus it has been delayed and there is no word when it will come out.

There is another laptop I am looking at with a 240hz 5 ms panel. I was really excited to have a 300 hz screen because of how ridiculous it is, I am just curious if there is any real difference I would see?

Thanks!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Will I notice the diff between 240 and 300hz?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Jun 2020, 10:03

I have a Razer 240 Hz IPS laptop here, a Blade 15 is the workhorse laptop for my convention travels, but it has been my backyard laptop for now when I have cabin fever. (The covid situation)

From what I saw of 300Hz, the difference is visible but very slight.

The rule of thumb is geometric refresh rate upgrades (such as doubling Hz, 120Hz to 249Hz to 480Hz to 960Hz), with preferably at least 1.5x refresh rate upgrade for desktop sized monitors. At only 240Hz vs 300Hz, the difference is so slight on the smaller screens of laptops, the 3ms GtG vs 5ms GtG is a more human visible difference (5ms realword translates to 5 pixel of artifact per 1000 pixels second)

Browser scrolling benefits (flick scroll via touchpad) is quite noticeably better than a 120Hz iPad, as double Hz approximately halves display motion blur (Subject to GtG limitations bottlenecking Hz-improvement benefits), but only faintly noticeable between 240Hz and 300Hz, due to need of geometric Hz differences. For gaming, it’s harder to notice, and becomes unnoticeable when the GPU struggles to reach 300fps.

You will certainly get enough frame rate to see 240Hz benefits in many very old games (Source engine, older Bioshock, etc) with the RTX chips and 230-watt laptop power bricks like these laptops now include, in my experience (hoo boy, laptop are space heaters, get a small tray or piece of wood whenever gaming on your lap)

That said, frequent struggles (150fps-300fps) will muddy the benefits of 240Hz to 300Hz, even if things are quite noticeably better than 60Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

svperstar

Post by svperstar » 05 Jun 2020, 10:26

My current laptop is 75 hz and I have been overclocking it to 100hz for 3 years.

I am wondering how high I can OC a 240 hz panel. Probably 250hz at the least.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Jun 2020, 11:18

My experience is that overclock headroom of the Razer is extremely small. Not sure how much ASUS can overclock. I would stick to factory Hz on these particular panels, but you can test for surprise headroom.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!