PG279QE Image Retention Help ASAP pls!

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
rane94

Re: PG279QE Image Retention Help ASAP pls!

Post by rane94 » 05 Jul 2020, 20:04

STOPchris wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 18:15
I just randomly got this on my newer XB253Q GX. I never had this before and then all of the sudden it showed up. It was while I was tagging games in Playnite. Weird, I have never seen this before in ANY monitor that I've owned. It went away now, but it was really strange. It does not happen with the UFO test though. I tried it again and nothing happened. So, in only certain situations this happens? It's nothing to worry about then?

EDIT: I think I accidentally caused this actually. The screen would flicker when I scrolled through the list I had. I kept doing it because it seemed weird to me. I guess maybe I triggered this issue? It was the Playnite application causing the flicker, but the image retention for sure happened for a few minutes after. Again, nothing like this until today.
wait so you have a PG279QE now and you tested it ON the PG279QE and you did the test with UFO Ghost Test and it happens?
can you explain a little bit more please what happened,what you did and on which monitor you tested it? ( i assume you used UFO Ghost Test?)

STOPchris

Post by STOPchris » 05 Jul 2020, 21:06

rane94 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 20:04
STOPchris wrote:
I just randomly got this on my newer XB253Q GX. I never had this before and then all of the sudden it showed up. It was while I was tagging games in Playnite. Weird, I have never seen this before in ANY monitor that I've owned. It went away now, but it was really strange. It does not happen with the UFO test though. I tried it again and nothing happened. So, in only certain situations this happens? It's nothing to worry about then?

EDIT: I think I accidentally caused this actually. The screen would flicker when I scrolled through the list I had. I kept doing it because it seemed weird to me. I guess maybe I triggered this issue? It was the Playnite application causing the flicker, but the image retention for sure happened for a few minutes after. Again, nothing like this until today.
wait so you have a PG279QE now and you tested it ON the PG279QE and you did the test with UFO Ghost Test and it happens?
can you explain a little bit more please what happened,what you did and on which monitor you tested it? ( i assume you used UFO Ghost Test?)
I have two monitors: 1 Acer XB253Q GX and 1 PG279Q (the original version WITHOUT the "E"). I have never seen this issue on ANY monitor that I have ever owned in the 20 years that I have been building computers.

Today, I was using my computer that has the Acer XB253Q GX hooked up to it. I was tagging games in Playnite (a launcher that unifies games, much like GOG Galaxy 2.0). I noticed as I hovered over the tags that the screen would flicker. I was concerned that it was the monitor flickering, so I tried to recreate the issue again. If I can recreate it by doing the same thing in Playnite, I would assume that it was Playnite causing the flicker. I kept doing it several times over and confirmed that it was in-fact Playnite. However, upon stopping I noticed some pretty bad looking image retention. Someone has posted what it looks like in another thread. I remembered that and came back here and posted in this thread that I too have now seen this issue.

I restarted my computer to see if this image retention was in the motherboard bios. I did this to rule out software issues, as I had just recently upgraded to Windows 10 1909, from 1903. Sure enough, it was present in the bios as well. This of course tells me that it is either the monitor or my graphics card. I assume because of the posts here, that it is in-fact the monitor. From what the Chief Blur Buster is saying, this situation would be rare and nothing to worry about, as there is no permanent damage and it goes away after a short while. Again, I have only seen it this one time in about 20 years.

rane94

Post by rane94 » 06 Jul 2020, 02:17

STOPchris wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 21:06
rane94 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 20:04
STOPchris wrote:

I have two monitors: 1 Acer XB253Q GX and 1 PG279Q (the original version WITHOUT the "E"). I have never seen this issue on ANY monitor that I have ever owned in the 20 years that I have been building computers.

Today, I was using my computer that has the Acer XB253Q GX hooked up to it. I was tagging games in Playnite (a launcher that unifies games, much like GOG Galaxy 2.0). I noticed as I hovered over the tags that the screen would flicker. I was concerned that it was the monitor flickering, so I tried to recreate the issue again. If I can recreate it by doing the same thing in Playnite, I would assume that it was Playnite causing the flicker. I kept doing it several times over and confirmed that it was in-fact Playnite. However, upon stopping I noticed some pretty bad looking image retention. Someone has posted what it looks like in another thread. I remembered that and came back here and posted in this thread that I too have now seen this issue.

I restarted my computer to see if this image retention was in the motherboard bios. I did this to rule out software issues, as I had just recently upgraded to Windows 10 1909, from 1903. Sure enough, it was present in the bios as well. This of course tells me that it is either the monitor or my graphics card. I assume because of the posts here, that it is in-fact the monitor. From what the Chief Blur Buster is saying, this situation would be rare and nothing to worry about, as there is no permanent damage and it goes away after a short while. Again, I have only seen it this one time in about 20 years.
oh ok, but i still dont understand how a program like Playnite can cause image retention (the program looks like Nvidia exp)

did you check your acer monitor with UFO Ghost Test full screen,browser on native zoom on 60hz and 144hz 5mins on each of them and than open a clean dark gray image to check for image retention? and if not could you please post your report after testing it?

thank you