Help me find if it's the config, usage, the eyes or just the monitor. Would the XL2411P be better?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
rasmas

Help me find if it's the config, usage, the eyes or just the monitor. Would the XL2411P be better?

Post by rasmas » 10 Jun 2020, 09:55

Hello all,
I got the BenQ GL2480 (TN -1ms GTG-, 75Hz on HDMI, 8Bits)*, and despite having "Eye-Care" (main reason) i can't feel comfortable with it.
First day "not the best but doesn't hurt on eyes"; Second "not bad blur on games either"; Third "colours are really bad and i feel like it burns the images (overall the white text) on my retina-eyes".

I've modified the monitor settings, and i've got better contrast on white backgrounds (were like "overexposed"), but to get some "bareable on the eyes" settings i have to modify brightness, contrast, colour temperature... with a dark (shadowed?) result, and, at the end, if i have to use it like that, i see no improvement over my old-current CRT.

So:
1- Should i configure it somehow different that can really help?
2- Do i have to change it on games and then on text?
3- Do i have to just get used to it? Can it improve with time?
4- Should i just return it and find another one?

Had an LCD LG 2261V and had not these problems, despite not being the best(?).

Can the popular XL2411P be better? Would you recommend it? Looked 240Hz but can be bad at low FPS, so went to search 144Hz but chose 75Hz because i can match that with FPS, so maybe(?) better and had "eye care", but...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, can't be that hard to get a good for all and good on eyes monitor :D .

Thank you very much in advance ;) .

*The alternative was the EW2480 (IPS -5ms GtG-, 75Hz, 8Bits, Freesync), but as the GL2480 had "gaming" thought it could be better as want to play too and not sure about IPSs at 75Hz (weird the "gaming" had no Freesync though).

rasmas

Re: Help me find if it's the config, usage, the eyes or just the monitor. Would the XL2411P be better?

Post by rasmas » 13 Jun 2020, 06:58

I'm trying everything i can, but i don't seem to be touching the correct key if there is one.

My main problem is: do you know when you look at a light and it seems to "burn" in your retinas for a while?, well, here is the same on a really lower scale, but i kinda find it like that, so at the end it "accumulates" after some time, and i kinda see a lot of "shadows".

Any idea about what setting should i touch? (maybe lowering colour temp more, as bightness or contrast does not seem to do a lot).
Maybe it is a matter of time until the retinas get "trained"?
Can IPSs be different?

Overall the monitor ( BenQ GL2480 ) is not bad, good stand, good screen coating, cannot see its pixels, the blur is actually not bad at all (i even feel it close to the CRT i have <-not the best), and the colours are a bit odd, but maybe be ok enough.