Eye-Care Technology / Flicker Free, Backlight Strobing etc.

There are over 100 ergonomic issues from displays, far more than just flicker and blue light. This forum covers the giant variety of display ergonomics issues.
74tm

Re: Eye-Care Technology / Flicker Free, Backlight Strobing etc.

Post by 74tm » 14 Jun 2020, 15:16

[/quote]

If you don't mind, what monitor did you have before (that didn't hurt your eyes)?

[/quote]

So I initially had a benq gw2270 which was very comfortable to look at. As my first 144hz monitor I decided to go with the benq xl2430 and strained my eyes to hell, I'd remember feeling a legit burning sensation. And that was for gaming, for me reading on the monitor was impossible. I then tried the XG240R my experience with it was about the same but not as bad. I then lost hope in getting a 144hz monitor until the Aoc 24g2 was released I thought maybe a an ips monitor would make things different, to a certain degree the strain was less but enough to make blurry vision pressist I decided to return it.

After eleminating all the variables I though that dithering was the common thing between these monitors. So when the wave of 240hz true 8 bit Ips monitors came around I decided to give it a shot. I got a VG259QM 3 days ago and so far while it's not as comfortable as my old 60hz va monitor, I only get minimal strain using it and no blurry vision. I have been getting a weird tightening sensation in the side of my eyes, I have no idea what its from. It happens occasionally and has been happening less often the more I have used this monitor. Perhaps I'm not used to the size of this monitor? What ever it is I'm getting used to it. And I'm finally happy that I've found a high refresh rate monitor that I can actually use.

Jason38

Post by Jason38 » 14 Jun 2020, 22:05

I use the stobing feature in the Retro Arch emulator all the time. I think it's the greatest thing ever for my eyes. I'm sensitive to PWM flicker but I can't see the flicker from the strobing. I'm going to buy the XG270 that gets talked about a lot on this forum. That one supports 120hz BFI and it's tuned by the Chief. I feel like BFI if done right solves a few issues. It really makes the LED nice and dim and I always find LED screens to bright. The motion quality it gives is just fantastic. Seems the new 2020 OLED's all use this BFI feature. They have been getting good reviews because of this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe2lIm-JAWM

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 15 Jun 2020, 09:52

74tm wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 15:16

If you don't mind, what monitor did you have before (that didn't hurt your eyes)?
So I initially had a benq gw2270 which was very comfortable to look at. As my first 144hz monitor I decided to go with the benq xl2430 and strained my eyes to hell, I'd remember feeling a legit burning sensation. And that was for gaming, for me reading on the monitor was impossible. I then tried the XG240R my experience with it was about the same but not as bad. I then lost hope in getting a 144hz monitor until the Aoc 24g2 was released I thought maybe a an ips monitor would make things different, to a certain degree the strain was less but enough to make blurry vision pressist I decided to return it.

After eleminating all the variables I though that dithering was the common thing between these monitors. So when the wave of 240hz true 8 bit Ips monitors came around I decided to give it a shot. I got a VG259QM 3 days ago and so far while it's not as comfortable as my old 60hz va monitor, I only get minimal strain using it and no blurry vision. I have been getting a weird tightening sensation in the side of my eyes, I have no idea what its from. It happens occasionally and has been happening less often the more I have used this monitor. Perhaps I'm not used to the size of this monitor? What ever it is I'm getting used to it. And I'm finally happy that I've found a high refresh rate monitor that I can actually use.
Fantastic answer, thank you ;) .
I'm curious and i am going to try to find if it exist a 144Hz monitor 8 bits without FCR :D .
Right now i'm trying a BenQ GL2480 (75Hz, 8Bits), and right now sometimes feel better and some worse but i can look at it (i get my eyes tired but i can have it at max brightness -well lit room- ), maybe like you it's the size and that i've been using a CRT for 2 years; also blur is not bad, so hopefully either i get used to it soon or be sure if i want to return to my CRT because i hate "testing" monitors xD .

Thanks again ;) .