The Official *MSI Optix MAG251RX* Owners Thread

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
june

Re: The Official *MSI Optix MAG251RX* Owners Thread

Post by june » 29 Jun 2020, 05:54

cusideabelincoln wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 17:50
What refresh rates does the Anti-Motion Blur (AMB) work at? And how much crosstalk is there with AMB at 100-144 Hz refresh ranges?
you can still turn it on at 240hz but not sure how it will perform

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 29 Jun 2020, 08:02

Joel D wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 16:41
rasmas wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 07:38
Can i ask you, or anyone, how the MSI feels with the eye strain? If you have never had eye strain i guess you cannot answer this, but just in case :D .
;)
Calibrate it, and it will be fine. Most eye strain is due to people not getting their screen calibrated *properly*. Cause 10 times outta 10 (if you use your own personal taste in calibration), people got it WAY too bright and cold. Which in turn can cause eye strain.
Sorry for so many questions and thank you for the answers, but if you allow me one more ;) : can the correct calibration be done without external hardware? Maybe there are some guides or some recomendations to do it "by eye"? I've tried several monitors (trying a different one now) but cannot feel really confortable with any of them.

Thanks again ;) .

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 29 Jun 2020, 13:21

rasmas wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 08:02
Sorry for so many questions and thank you for the answers, but if you allow me one more ;) : can the correct calibration be done without external hardware? Maybe there are some guides or some recomendations to do it "by eye"? I've tried several monitors (trying a different one now) but cannot feel really confortable with any of them.

Thanks again ;) .
Dude, don't be sorry for questions, as thats what this thread is for man !! Its all good. That said, remember, I am no professional at this, I have questions too. So my answers I disclaim here now are just my opinions on a subject I have very little experience on myself.

Your question here will prob get you different answers pending on who you ask. Its a opinionated subject. Me personally, I would say this, you of course could do it by eye, (they have these calibration discs like "Disney WOW" or whatever, and I've used them, they are the best way and only real way to do by eye). Now if you're just doing it to quickly compare which monitor you like best to return the ones you like least, I'd say sure - this way is a decent way to get a ROUGH idea how the monitor visually appeals.

But once you're going to keep a monitor, me personally would not rely on this method. When I did that myself (easily spent 4hrs+ tweaking it each day for like 3 days - 12hrs total work time to get what I thought was perfect) for my Home Theater TV, I rocked it like that for a few months then decided to get professionally calibrated cause I was getting a deal on 2 TV calibration. It was laughable how far off I was. He used external gear and explained to me why its really the only way. So I feel I wasted 12hrs of valuable time I should bill myself at. Which would be way more than the guy charged me for ! lol. So what's really saving money ?

With professional external gear calibration you get accurate results that won't differ slightly due to human error. So its not only fair when comparing but it also puts you in a industry standard (every screen really should look the same as best they can) so you are seeing things as the developer/director intended in any room, any screen.

"By eye" will NEVER ever get you that industry stand level calibration. And me personally, thats what I look for every time. Matter fact, lots of people will bash me here for this one, but I have come to the conclusion that buying your own equipment and doing it yourself won't even equal the best result right away. Maybe 2 years after you get the learning curve of the equipment, sure. But thats not for me. lol Them easy DYI's IMO just won't be accurate.

sanoff

Post by sanoff » 30 Jun 2020, 05:12

Has anyone tested all the available settings, including the monitor, which setting is the fastest and most efficient?

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 01 Jul 2020, 08:18

Joel D wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 13:21
rasmas wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 08:02

Thanks again ;) .
Dude, don't be sorry for questions, as thats what this thread is for man !! Its all good. That said, remember, I am no professional at this, I have questions too. So my answers I disclaim here now are just my opinions on a subject I have very little experience on myself.

Your question here will prob get you different answers pending on who you ask. Its a opinionated subject. Me personally, I would say this, you of course could do it by eye, (they have these calibration discs like "Disney WOW" or whatever, and I've used them, they are the best way and only real way to do by eye). Now if you're just doing it to quickly compare which monitor you like best to return the ones you like least, I'd say sure - this way is a decent way to get a ROUGH idea how the monitor visually appeals.

But once you're going to keep a monitor, me personally would not rely on this method. When I did that myself (easily spent 4hrs+ tweaking it each day for like 3 days - 12hrs total work time to get what I thought was perfect) for my Home Theater TV, I rocked it like that for a few months then decided to get professionally calibrated cause I was getting a deal on 2 TV calibration. It was laughable how far off I was. He used external gear and explained to me why its really the only way. So I feel I wasted 12hrs of valuable time I should bill myself at. Which would be way more than the guy charged me for ! lol. So what's really saving money ?

With professional external gear calibration you get accurate results that won't differ slightly due to human error. So its not only fair when comparing but it also puts you in a industry standard (every screen really should look the same as best they can) so you are seeing things as the developer/director intended in any room, any screen.

"By eye" will NEVER ever get you that industry stand level calibration. And me personally, thats what I look for every time. Matter fact, lots of people will bash me here for this one, but I have come to the conclusion that buying your own equipment and doing it yourself won't even equal the best result right away. Maybe 2 years after you get the learning curve of the equipment, sure. But thats not for me. lol Them easy DYI's IMO just won't be accurate.
Thanks for the detailed answer ;) .

I will try to find that "Disney WOW" just for curiosity.

So is better to find someone to do the calibration, i see. Well, thought with the calibrator it would be easy and you need no experience :D .

I wonder if TNs are worth it to calibrate :D .

Thanks again for the answers ;) .

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 01 Jul 2020, 11:05

To me, the overshoot is basically invisible to see unless its a really bad transition.
In the game i play(rocket league) which u see a subtle blue glow occasionally. Some tip i like to do if i want to reduce the 5.5% inverse ghosting error rate on OD faster.(it's extremely hard from my PoV to see so 5.5% overshoot really doesn't matter to me) is to lower the temperature(RGB) by 5. That should increase the 3ms response time to 3.5-3.8ms but no overshoot. On my panel i reduce RGB temp by 6-7 each to have zero inverse ghosting

If the colors are off, i use calibrize app to make sure the colors are accurate.

Also, u can use nvidia control panel and inrease the brightness from 50 to 65 if u use backlight strobing, or u can use "controlmymonitor" app.

I will do a quintuple review on my main topic. Msi mag251rx will be on there, along with vg259qm, xg270qg viewsonic, vg279qm, aw2521hf remix. With pictures of the overshoot, and backlight strobing.

sanoff

Post by sanoff » 02 Jul 2020, 11:33

So, in your opinion @RLCScontender worth using 'Anti Blur Motion' mode in fast fps games? maybe Adaptive-sync?

Gunta0

Post by Gunta0 » 06 Jul 2020, 03:29

What's your monitor settings for Valorant FPS ?

kzxt

Post by kzxt » 10 Jul 2020, 06:16

sanoff wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 11:33
So, in your opinion @RLCScontender worth using 'Anti Blur Motion' mode in fast fps games? maybe Adaptive-sync?
Well I took the leap of faith and bought the monitor before his mega review.

I don't have async support as I'm on a GTX 970. With CSGO and ABM on/off does not make much difference to me, perhaps I'll still need to test it further. It does however make the screen significantly dimmer.

Changing the brightness via controlmymonitor with ABM on does not do anything.

These are my initial tests and are subjected to change.

js27

Post by js27 » 11 Jul 2020, 10:37

Hi guys, anyone with a tool that can measure the brightness?
If so can you please tell me which is the minimum brightness on this monitor?