The Official *MSI Optix MAG251RX* Owners Thread

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Siran

Re: The Official *MSI Optix MAG251RX* Owners Thread

Post by Siran » 26 Sep 2020, 02:42

Joel D wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 15:45
Any help here appreciated -
The RGB sliders become available when you select "customization" as color temperature:
Unbenannt.PNG
Unbenannt.PNG (13.77 KiB) Viewed 7540 times
I also cannot activate HDR in Windows after creating the custom resolution for native 1920x1080 240Hz as described in the linked video (thanks for the tip though, at least now I have 10 bit!)

As for the HDR you can select via the gaming OSD software - that's a display profile like "FPS" or "Racing" etc and tries to "emulate" an HDR picture with pretty bad results, it has nothing to do with the HDR setting in games or Windows.

Boomchakadah

Post by Boomchakadah » 26 Sep 2020, 18:24

Joel D wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 17:20

This isn't working for me. What am I doing wrong here ? It tells me brightness is at 100, and max brightness is 100, so I can't do anything with brightness. lol Its reading what the OSD setting is I think. See Pic:

CMM2.jpg
Try using another program called ClickMonitorDDC. If that doesn't work, try another one called softMCCS.. Remember to run them as admin.
Last edited by Boomchakadah on 27 Sep 2020, 03:54, edited 1 time in total.
VG258QM 280Hz TN (main)| XG2431 240Hz IPS | XL2540K 240Hz TN | XV252Q 1080p 280Hz IPS | XL2546K 1080p 240hz TN | AW2518HF 1080p 240Hz TN | XV240YP 1080p 165Hz IPS | XG2402 1080p 144hz TN | 27GL83A 1440p 144Hz IPS | XL2411P 144Hz TN | XF240H 144Hz TN

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 27 Sep 2020, 01:40

@Siran Thanks !! Will try this.

Yea I tried to switch that windows HDR thing on, and I almost threw up how ugly it made the screen. IDK what that is, but its not HDR. lol

So I figured out that screenshots does not snap a screen of the monitor settings you spend so much time dialing in, rather it takes the screenshot before the monitor on a software level. So this is a can of worms, IMO, seems like we need to first make sure the monitor is up to a standard tuning, then dial in the calibration on a software level ? No ?

I wondered why my screenshots looked beautiful once I took the file to my Retina Laptop ! lol But don't look so great on the IPS. Its because the IPS isn't even giving me a good representation of my software level calibration.
Last edited by Joel D on 27 Sep 2020, 01:42, edited 1 time in total.

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 27 Sep 2020, 01:41

Boomchakadah wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 18:24

Try using another program called ClickMonitorDDC. If that doesn't work, you might have luck with another one called softMCCS.. Remember to run them as admin.
Ok, thanks ! will try. But its odd that ControlMyMonitor isn't working for me, yet it does for others. Any ideas why ?

TESTER

Post by TESTER » 30 Sep 2020, 14:53

Hi everyone,english is not my main language,sorry for mistakes if any. i've read RLCScontender and forii reviews about mag251rx,and i decide to bought it. My mag251rx (my first IPS monitor,i've been using TN's for entire time before) just arrived, i did those steps:
1) made PC "native" for 1080p resolution under CRU
2) moved to nvidia and changed 8 bit color depth to 10 bit color depth.
3) download and installed mag272 ICM profile (make it as default and put a check box at "Use windows display calibration")
After all of that, i dont like the color saturation . i've restored back to default mag251rx icm profile (discard changes with mag272 icm profile)
my question is,how do i adjust my mag251rx color saturation? i want to increase it. Comparing mag251rx to my benq xl2430T TN monitor (on left), color saturation looks a way better on Benq. I've read mag251rx manual,and there is no option for adjusting saturation (i might be wrong)
Im using a user mode. i've tried to play with brightness and contrast,but it doesnt have any impact on saturation. The only way i see,is increasing digital vibrance at nvidia control panel. Just want to clarify,do i miss something? Is there anyway to increase saturation with monitor OSD? or nvidia digital vibrance is the only way?
https://imgur.com/a/0MbOOoo
RLCScontender wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 03:44
Vash_84 wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 03:56

2. Once you did that, try to get a 6500k white balance. You can use your smart phone photo app. (on my samsung galaxy, it's under "pro mode" on the photo app and it will show you the white balance, almost every photo app has it.. Once you find that, point your phone at the mag251rx's white background(i use google.com's white background and adjust your monitor's red/green/blue to to get to 6500k, if it's not 6500k, just keep on adjusting the red/green/blue(most of the time, the red is too high)
i got an android xiaomi redmi note 5 smartphone. i've downloaded from play market at least 6 different cameras apps,but none of them doesnt show the current WB value when i point my smartphone camera at the mag251rx white background.All of them just offers me to choose WB range before taking a photo. I've decided to dig depper, tried to google, but dont find any useful app for free. Can someone recommend an free app to do this?

Thank you.

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 30 Sep 2020, 23:59

Well unless you got the titles/tags wrong, the pics you have are odd. Because in the singled out ones, the MSI imo looks better than the TN. It just needs R/G/B adjusted a bit to make white white. The TN is washed out and over digitally vibrant, too bright, and just plain wrong IMO. But in the pic with them side by side, neither looks like the singled out pics ! So what is going on there ?

The closest looks opposite of what you said, where the MSI is on the left, that one matches the MSI pic singled out best. So not sure if you mislabeled these ?

There is a psychological issue when changing monitors (or anything). Especially if you'd had one for a while. Make it right/best you can, give it time. Going back months later you will find you like the MSI best. If your pic labeling is correct, both them monitors need help. But IMO the TN is worse (again if your labeling is correct).

Binder87

Post by Binder87 » 01 Oct 2020, 00:17

Has anyone tried to overclock the monitor? Has anyone achieved higher than 240hz? I know some panels can do it. Just curious.

TESTER

Post by TESTER » 01 Oct 2020, 05:08

Joel D wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 23:59
Well unless you got the titles/tags wrong, the pics you have are odd. Because in the singled out ones, the MSI imo looks better than the TN. It just needs R/G/B adjusted a bit to make white white. The TN is washed out and over digitally vibrant, too bright, and just plain wrong IMO. But in the pic with them side by side, neither looks like the singled out pics ! So what is going on there ?

The closest looks opposite of what you said, where the MSI is on the left, that one matches the MSI pic singled out best. So not sure if you mislabeled these ?

There is a psychological issue when changing monitors (or anything). Especially if you'd had one for a while. Make it right/best you can, give it time. Going back months later you will find you like the MSI best. If your pic labeling is correct, both them monitors need help. But IMO the TN is worse (again if your labeling is correct).
Thank you for your reply. Pic labeling is correct. Benq XL2430T (TN) on the left side, MSI mag 251rx (IPS) on the right side. Overall, MSI looks better, but when it comes to a color saturation, i like my TN color saturation more,then MSI. I was owning TN for a 5 years, maybe im just get used to it. I got few questions,may someone who owning mag 251rx share their experience:
1)There is no way to adjust color saturation trough monitor OSD/ MSI gaming OSD app.?
2)Which mode and monitor settings you use for gaming (FPS games) and for regular non-gaming use (watchings movies, surfing in web browser). In this article https://www.msi.com/blog/the-amazing-di ... ng-monitor, i've read that every single "game mode" has it own restrictions. For example,if you choose "FPS mode" green colors are washed out, and you cannot adjust it. So i was wondering which settings and mode do you use?
3)If in the game i dont see any screen tearing neither with or w/o adaptive sync, should i keep it on, or i need to turn it off? For now, im not planning to use Anti-motion blur (backlight strobe). When adaptive sync is on, does it affect on something else except preventing from screen tearing and disabling opportunity to use anti-motion blur?
4)if you got an android and did a task to get 6500k white balance,may you tell me the name of app you done it?
5)ICM profiles doesnt work in a fullscreen applications?
that's all for now. thank you.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 01 Oct 2020, 12:56

phpBB [video]

Weird, my msi mag251rx is just as vibrant as the #1 ranked wide color gamut and #1 ranked saturation monitor(nano ips). Maybe u didn't win the panel lottery.

To adjust saturation, just use nvidia control panel under "digital vibrance". Bring the slider from 50 to 100 when u game. And no, it doesnt have a saturation
Osd option, not that it matter considering u can easily do that on the nvidia control panel.

Why and why u think a benq TN has better colors is beyond me. The delta E(color accuracy) viewing angles, color shift, color distortion, color uniformity, white balance, etc are much worse relative to any decent IPS monitor. Then again, u are entitled to your opinions and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 01 Oct 2020, 13:23

Ok, wow. Well I will tell you this, the MSI does need help I agree. Its just not that bad is all I was saying. The R/G/B needs to be adjusted to hit that 6500 K and you should look a lot better. Saturation ? Well after and only after you do the r/g/b adjustment, is when I'd think about that. Maybe give it a while.

For me, I am no pro, but I will share my 2 cents - I am happy with these settings.. Stay away from ALL modes. Now that you know the Mag272icm color profile wasn't the culprit in you not liking it, go back, use the 272icm color profile. Go to Professional in the OSD, pick HDR. And I know you said you didn't want it but IMO it allows for a better look, go to AntiMotion Blur and turn on. Set contrast to 59. Brightness will be blocked out, adjust that now with either NvidiaCP or ControlMyMonitor App to your approx liking. Now adjust that R/G/B to get 6500 K. After that readjust brightness to liking.

Sit on that for a week before judging it. Then go back to TN and see if indeed you still like the saturation or anything better. If you do, then use the Saturation/R/G/B/Hue Vibrance/etc.. within the Nvidia CP to adjust to your liking.

Adaptive Sync - I don't use. Never had a issue. Google Kelvin Meter app opposed to photo app. I used one called KEV.
I hope my ICM profile is working in fullscreen applications ! lol Thats all I use. Why would it/how would it not ?