The Official *MSI Optix MAG251RX* Owners Thread

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
TESTER

Re: The Official *MSI Optix MAG251RX* Owners Thread

Post by TESTER » 14 Dec 2020, 14:42

Joel D wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 17:20
Good news ! I got my bit depth to do 10bit finally while still at 240hz 1920x1080 native resolution. The issue was, I guess I did the CRU thing wrong when I first did it a couple months ago. I got it to do Native PC 240hz, but something was holding it up as far as the color depth.. Super weird. I have to thank you for the new video showing how to do it, cause it is a little different than the first instructions months ago. This time I did it exactly as video says and when I went back to NvidiaCP the 240hz NativePC was the same as before.. BUT the difference is I was able to switch to 10bit color ! Go figure. I have no clue what I did before that would cause that. Step wise what I did originally was I never went to the "Extensions Block" box and delete and add. Thats where your new video is different than the original instructions. Originally it says to delete and add in the "Detailed Resolutions" box which is what I did and it does work. But for some reason it locks out 10bit option at 240hz. To be clear, that 10bit option comes available at any resolution below 240hz.

Now thanks to your new video, I just reset everything, started over and this time ONLY went to the "Extensions Block" box, deleted what was there and added the resolution as instructed. Tis is the way that works right. Hopefully that helps someone else. USE THE VIDEO ! Not the older instructions.

English is not my main language,sorry for my bad grammar. I've reinstalled GPU driver and now i have set everything againg in CRU . I've opened this topic,but unfortunately RLCScontender restricted his videos, and I can't see instruction anymore. Information in screenshots (old RLCScontender instructions is wrong). I'm able to set "NATIVE" under PC list, but the depth color is grayed out for me, i cant change it. It's stays on 8bit. Can you,or someone who remember how to do it properly in CRU, upload a video and give us the link, I would appreciated it.

fLayN

Post by fLayN » 15 Dec 2020, 12:01

TESTER wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 14:42
Joel D wrote:
Good news ! I got my bit depth to do 10bit finally while still at 240hz 1920x1080 native resolution. The issue was, I guess I did the CRU thing wrong when I first did it a couple months ago. I got it to do Native PC 240hz, but something was holding it up as far as the color depth.. Super weird. I have to thank you for the new video showing how to do it, cause it is a little different than the first instructions months ago. This time I did it exactly as video says and when I went back to NvidiaCP the 240hz NativePC was the same as before.. BUT the difference is I was able to switch to 10bit color ! Go figure. I have no clue what I did before that would cause that. Step wise what I did originally was I never went to the "Extensions Block" box and delete and add. Thats where your new video is different than the original instructions. Originally it says to delete and add in the "Detailed Resolutions" box which is what I did and it does work. But for some reason it locks out 10bit option at 240hz. To be clear, that 10bit option comes available at any resolution below 240hz.

Now thanks to your new video, I just reset everything, started over and this time ONLY went to the "Extensions Block" box, deleted what was there and added the resolution as instructed. Tis is the way that works right. Hopefully that helps someone else. USE THE VIDEO ! Not the older instructions.

English is not my main language,sorry for my bad grammar. I've reinstalled GPU driver and now i have set everything againg in CRU . I've opened this topic,but unfortunately RLCScontender restricted his videos, and I can't see instruction anymore. Information in screenshots (old RLCScontender instructions is wrong). I'm able to set "NATIVE" under PC list, but the depth color is grayed out for me, i cant change it. It's stays on 8bit. Can you,or someone who remember how to do it properly in CRU, upload a video and give us the link, I would appreciated it.
Hi, if you are french I can explain it to french but here it is in english :

1/ Open CRU.exe
2/ Select the MSI MAG251RX (Active) monitor
3/ At the very bottom, clic on "Delete" (Extension blocks box)
4/ Clic on add (on the same Extension blocks box of course)
A new window opens
5/ Under Detailed resolution clic on Add (do not touch the Type : CEA-861 thing)
A new window opens
6/ Select Timing : Automatic LCD Native
7/ Change the frequency refresh rate to : 240.000

Press ok and ok, and now open Restart64.exe.

Go to nvidia control pannel and enjoy :)

TESTER

Post by TESTER » 15 Dec 2020, 13:41

fLayN wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 12:01
TESTER wrote:
Joel D wrote:

1/ Open CRU.exe
A new window opens
5/ Under Detailed resolution clic on Add (do not touch the Type : CEA-861 thing)
A new window opens

Thank you very much for your step by step explanation. I've followed the instruction and everything work now as it should. Please do not edit or delete your post. Everytime when im reinstalling GPU driver, I will comeback and check for this instruction.

pusep

Post by pusep » 16 Dec 2020, 03:14

How to disable MSI logo? My old NEC has an option to turn it off...

frixiak

Post by frixiak » 29 Dec 2020, 19:17

Hey guys. Recently I noticed in games weird light glow around characters and other dynamic objects. That's probably "pixel overshoot" and I tried to change response time from "fastest" to "fast" but without success. Any suggestions?

Radeon89

Post by Radeon89 » 05 Jan 2021, 12:56

Hi, I never owned a monitor with srgb >100% so I am not sure if I could like this one or not.

In case I do not like the oversatured colours, is there any easy way to adjust the things and let monitor stick at 100% srgb level?

Many thanks in advance.

sadeghbb

Post by sadeghbb » 15 Jan 2021, 06:28

Hi, I wanna buy one monitor between mag251RX and dell 2521HF
play fifa and warzone only in console (PS4 AND PS5)
which is recommended for me
thx to all

Jayz

Post by Jayz » 15 Jan 2021, 08:04

fLayN wrote:
TESTER wrote:
Joel D wrote:

1/ Open CRU.exe
A new window opens
A new window opens

Hi, I've tried following the steps, however a few things were diff,

1/ Open CRU.exe OK
2/ Select the MSI MAG251RX (Active) monitor OK but there's 2 MSI MAG251RX, not sure why, but chosen the active one
3/ At the very bottom, clic on "Delete" (Extension blocks box) OK
4/ Clic on add (on the same Extension blocks box of course) OK
A new window opens OK
5/ Under Detailed resolution clic on Add (do not touch the Type : CEA-861 thing) Mine is CTA-861, any difference?
A new window opens
6/ Select Timing : Automatic LCD Native No such option for me, choose PC Native?
7/ Change the frequency refresh rate to : 240.000 OK

StareX

Post by StareX » 15 Jan 2021, 10:54

Jayz wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 08:04
fLayN wrote:
TESTER wrote:
Joel D wrote:

1/ Open CRU.exe
A new window opens
A new window opens

Hi, I've tried following the steps, however a few things were diff,

1/ Open CRU.exe OK
2/ Select the MSI MAG251RX (Active) monitor OK but there's 2 MSI MAG251RX, not sure why, but chosen the active one
3/ At the very bottom, clic on "Delete" (Extension blocks box) OK
4/ Clic on add (on the same Extension blocks box of course) OK
A new window opens OK
5/ Under Detailed resolution clic on Add (do not touch the Type : CEA-861 thing) Mine is CTA-861, any difference?
A new window opens
6/ Select Timing : Automatic LCD Native No such option for me, choose PC Native?
7/ Change the frequency refresh rate to : 240.000 OK

Did not understand a thing, can someone upload picture step by step kind of?

fLayN

Post by fLayN » 19 Jan 2021, 18:04

Well after a month and so, i can assure that I have less input lag with my benQ XL2420Z tn 144hz screen

I've tried in every configuration (gsync on&off with vsync on&off) while the MSI is responsive for an IPS, it doesnt reach the benQ TN i can assure that! For competitive i'll stay with my TN, but for everything else the MSI is beautiful and so smooth.

I think the benQ TN monitors are also monsters when talking about competitive gaming, nothing can beat them actualy!