The Official *MSI Optix MAG251RX* Owners Thread

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
RLCSContender*

Re: The Official *MSI Optix MAG251RX* Owners Thread

Post by RLCSContender* » 14 Jun 2020, 02:55

i usually keep the gaming OSD/CRU/controlmymonitor app/icc profiles in ONE dedicated folder. You can have it at your desktop or keep it at program files. Just dont' delete it otherwise you have to redownload the zip folder again on this link

here are the links to help ppl get started.

1. Download my recommend ICC profile(this is the one i use, but make sure you find it ok bcuz sometimes there are panel variances)

MSI MAG251rx recommend ICC Profile. DOWNLOAD it, open the zip folder and the mag272 ICM profile should be inside. Install it then go to display settings--->display properties-->color management-->add that ICM profile-->make it your default color profile. You will know it's ON when you right click on your desktop, then click on display settings and the color profile should say mag272.

https://www.msi.com/Monitor/support/Optix-MAG272

2. Here's the link to download the gaming OSD. (just plug in the USB plug it came with)

https://www.msi.com/Monitor/support/Opt ... wn-utility

3. heres' the link to download CRU (YOU HAVE to download this if you want DISPLAY SCALING as opposed to GPU scaling. The problem with the MSI out of the box is that its native resolution is on UHD, HD, SD (tv) but NOT under PC resolutions. Problem is, u cannot select 240hz natively, u have to use the PC 1080p resolution to get 240hz, but unfortunately out of the box, the PC resolution isn't considered a "native" resolution so by default, it will automatically scale to the GPU which adds input lag and blurry images, not on the display.

to do this ,just download cru, install it. Open it up, click ADD and put in 240.000 on the refresh rate box and put in 1920x1080 on the resolutions box, hit ok then exit. Once done, go to nvidia control panel and go to resolutions. under PC resolutions, 1080p SHOULD be "native" which means when you play video games, it will be DISPLAY scaling as opposed to GPU scaling, which reduces input lag and wont' have blurry images.

https://custom-resolution-utility.en.lo4d.com/windows

4. controlmymonitor app allows you to adjust the brightness level when you intend to use backlight strobing. Unfortuntaely, the msi mag251rx LOCKS the brightness setting if you turn on backlight strobing. the best way to get around this is using this link

https://downzen.com/en/windows/controlmymonitor/

download it and you can adjust the brightess even if backlight strobing is on. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE.

Antoher way to increase the brightness if you intend to use backlight strobing is through nvidia control panel. Set the brightness from 50 to 70 and you're set. The problem with this is, it may mess with the accuracy of the colors. But this is the faster way.

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 14 Jun 2020, 04:27

Your Awesome ! Thanks for all info.

So do you recommend any calibration gear for this Mag251 Monitor? Or will these settings just be fine ? I still am on the fence about purchasing one. I was told Xrite's "i1Display Pro" (for $285) coupled with free software "DisplayCAL" was the way to go as far as bang for buck. But not sure I really want to deal with a learning curve of something that I'm not a pro at nor plan to be. Know what I mean ?

But I'll do it if it will help you help me get this monitor to where it should be (due to variances of panels, etc.)

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 14 Jun 2020, 04:43

Joel D wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 04:27
Your Awesome ! Thanks for all info.

So do you recommend any calibration gear for this Mag251 Monitor? Or will these settings just be fine ? I still am on the fence about purchasing one. I was told Xrite's "i1Display Pro" (for $285) coupled with free software "DisplayCAL" was the way to go as far as bang for buck. But not sure I really want to deal with a learning curve of something that I'm not a pro at nor plan to be. Know what I mean ?

But I'll do it if it will help you help me get this monitor to where it should be (due to variances of panels, etc.)
totally up to you. You could always return it(if you buy from amazon) within 30 days.

tbh, if you even second guess about buying one, by the time you go back to that website where it's in stock, chances are it's NOT anymrore and u either have to wait for a few weeks due to backorders or wait a month hoping it will eventually be in stock. And that's if they don't raise the prices. MSRP is $359.99, but some sellers mark it up to $419.99

iv'e purchased and returned plenty of monitors and the MSI ultimately came out as the unequivocal winner. Then again, my criteria of what i consider a good quality monitor maybe different from yours. I like colors yet i also want fast response times, and the MSI did'nt disappoint. Then again, it's really not a secret since hardware unboxed did a semi-accurate review on the panel. Tim is generally pessimistic in his reviews too

disq

Post by disq » 14 Jun 2020, 13:29

RLCScontender wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 02:55
3. heres' the link to download CRU
https://custom-resolution-utility.en.lo4d.com/windows

4. controlmymonitor app
https://downzen.com/en/windows/controlmymonitor/
Just wanted to point out that those links are not the official ones

CRU: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thre ... tility-CRU
ControlMyMonitor: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/control_my_monitor.html

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 14 Jun 2020, 16:21

Ahh i stand corrected then. Thanks for that correction.

Makie

Post by Makie » 14 Jun 2020, 18:57

I bought my Mag251rx for console gaming connected to my PS4pro with the hdmi cable that came with the PS4pro. Is the hdmi cable that came with the Mag251rx better to use than the one the PS4pro came with?

Did you guys turn off eco mode? I notice it makes a huge difference.

Also I notice there is a noticeable difference with input lag when I turn off adaptive sync and using the fastest response time setting on consoles. I ended up leaving adaptive sync on because the tearing/judder wasn’t worth the lower input lag while playing modern warfare.

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 15 Jun 2020, 02:56

disq wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 13:29
Just wanted to point out that those links are not the official ones

CRU: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thre ... tility-CRU
ControlMyMonitor: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/control_my_monitor.html
Thanks disq !
Makie wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 18:57
I bought my Mag251rx for console gaming connected to my PS4pro with the hdmi cable that came with the PS4pro. Is the hdmi cable that came with the Mag251rx better to use than the one the PS4pro came with?

Did you guys turn off eco mode? I notice it makes a huge difference.

Also I notice there is a noticeable difference with input lag when I turn off adaptive sync and using the fastest response time setting on consoles. I ended up leaving adaptive sync on because the tearing/judder wasn’t worth the lower input lag while playing modern warfare.
Congratulations Makie !

As far as the cable question, I have no clue which would be better, as I have no clue what version HDMI the PS4Pro shipped with. That said, just a personal opinion thing here that I never use any cable that "comes" with anything. Companies are bean counters and bottom liners. They include a cable from a company that simply gave them the best deal during negotiations, and to pull that off that company HAD to cut some corners, and/or you can be guaranteed (IMO) its not a world class level cable. And when cables are so cheap now, I just wonder why not buy new ones that you know for sure what the version and brand is.
So, I just buy new ones - BUT that is a opinion thing, I know.

Eco mode = Off for sure.

Adaptive Sync, I'd like someone to answer that too, cause I have same question other than for me, I don't have it on and I don't see any issues. But yea I wanna know if I should have it on for better performance/appearance at 240 ? Hopefully someone will answer that

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 15 Jun 2020, 03:05

Ok, RLCS, got my first issue/followup question -

I did ALL the instructions. So lets go in order:

1) The CRU. I think I might have messed something up here. Its installed, and I followed instructions but not in the instructions is whether you delete and "Add" in the Extension Block part or the Detailed Resolutions part. So I did both.

Now when I go to Nvidia CP I do see PC 1920x1080 (Native) and 240hz - BUT thats all I see ! lol The other UHD, HD listing is totally gone. Please see this video and screen to show you what I see. Video is of Nvidia CP "Change Resolution" part, and screen is what the CRU app looks like now after the change I did.

Is this ok ? Or did I screw up ?

phpBB [video]

CRU.jpg
CRU.jpg (972.8 KiB) Viewed 17092 times
Please advise - Thanks !

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 15 Jun 2020, 03:13

2 & 4) The ICC Profile and the OSD Gaming App.

I did both these and I know for sure the Gaming App is fine. (but leads to all its settings questions later).

The ICC Profile I think is good. But it was a little more tricky than described. After I clicked on Color Management, there really was nothing to "delete" as you said.. but rather it asked if I wanted to add the Mag272 so I did and set it to "default". Is this ok ? I reset computer then went back to Display Settings and it shows this:
ICC.jpg
ICC.jpg (916.93 KiB) Viewed 17091 times
Is this good ?

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 16 Jun 2020, 15:11

Gonna need some clarifications here please - I'm waiting to use to game on until I know its set up 100%.

Please help asap - thanks

Oh and I also did

3) ControlMyMonitor app is installed. But I do not know how to use it at all yet so just leaving it on back burner for now until I get all the above done right for sure.

So all steps done. But want to fine tooth comb the details of each before moving forward.