The Official *MSI Optix MAG251RX* Owners Thread

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Joel D

The Official *MSI Optix MAG251RX* Owners Thread

Post by Joel D » 14 Jun 2020, 01:56

This thing is a beast and a few of us on here own one now. So lets congregate here !

This is also a good place to share settings, and tips and tricks to get better results with this monitor - therefore not be clogging up the other thread that was more for a review.

Joel D

Re: The Official *MSI Optix MAG251RX* Owners Thread

Post by Joel D » 14 Jun 2020, 02:14

For Backlight Bleed -
RLCScontender wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 18:50
grab a soft napkin cloth and gently wipe where you get blb towards the corners. This should reduce or eliminate the bleed.

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 14 Jun 2020, 02:15

RLCScontender wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 12:41
I was wondering WHY, under PC resolutions(under nvidia control panel) that it doesn't say "NATIVE" on it but in Ultra HD, HD, SD TV resolutions, it shows as "native". The problem with its "native" resolution under UHD, HD, SD, you cannot set the refresh rate any higher than 120hz but under the non-native 1080p resolution, i'm able to put it at 240hz refresh rate.

at the time, i thought it wasn't a big deal but i didn't understand the magnitude of this importance. Basically, if you leave it on its native resolution(under UHD, HD, SD), it will be on display scaling, the problem was, i cannot go higher than 120hz. Whereas on the non native 1080p resolution under PC, i'm able to get 240hz but because the computer considers it "non-native", it will scale with the GPU, giving it a slightly more blurry screen and MORE input lag.
Ryno24 wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 08:28
1. download cru and create a custom resolution of 1920x1080p at 240hz refresh rate. Once you do that, exit the screen and go to nvidia control panel and under "PC" it will show 1920x1080 as NATIVE instead of the HD/4k/etc. This means it will use display scaling isntead of GPU scaling which reduces input lag

(credits to pedrodd for providing this photo)

step 1 download/install CRU (i have windows 10) so this is for windows

https://custom-resolution-utility.en.lo4d.com/windows

step 2 Open Cru.exe (DBL click on it)

step 3 uncheck ALL of the resolutions on the left side

step 4 click on DELETE ALL, then click on ADD, it will take you to a different screen.

step 5 TYPE In 240.000, then click Ok. Click OK then exit.

here are pictures(for the sake of convenience, i'm using pedro and foriis photos, so credits to them)

Image (FOLLOW THE RED MARKERS)

Image (FOLLOW THE GREEN MARKER)

step 6. on NVIDIA control panel, go to resolution.1080p or 1920x1080 will show up "NATIVE" under PC resolutions and NOT on Ultra HD, HD, SD(TV resolutions). I tested this and i was shocked when at 120hz refresh on its native TV resolution, the input lag was slightly better than the intput lag at 1080p non native PC resolution at 240hz.

Nvidia control panel lies to you. even if you you set it as "display scaling" if it's NOT on its native resolution, it will just automatically do GPU scaling(added input lag).

and guess what i found out when i was tinkering with all that? that the MSI MAG251rx is 10bit+FRC(12 bit color depth) under HDMI connection @120hz

i killed TWO birds with ONE stone that day. Actually 3 birds (less input lag, less blurry screen, and 12 bit color depth)

EDIT: you can also use CRU to have a custom resolution LOWER than 1080p, that way if you want to have more FPS, it will still scale on the display and NOT on the GPU. Another thing, other 240hz ips monitors do not have this problem. Their native resolution is automatically set under PC(right out the box). So if u own a 240hz ips monitor OTHER than the msi mag251rx, you don't need to do all of this(unless u intend to use ur monitor on a lower resolution(more FPS) while STILL able to scale on the display instead of GPU)
Last edited by Joel D on 14 Jun 2020, 02:18, edited 2 times in total.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 14 Jun 2020, 02:16

U ever try it for console gaming? Faster OD has basically the same 5% overshoot at 60hz like it is at 240hz. Basically once adjust the OD to faster, u are set for life. No need to tinker with it.

Also try HDR once in a while, esp at 60hz, the brightness goes up to nearly 500 nits, while keeping an excellent 1200:1 contrast ratio(for IPS standards that is)

you can also try 12 bit color depth. Just plug in the HDMI cord it came with and set the refresh rate to 120hz, then u are able to switch from 8 bit to 12 bit color depth.

Also its the same exact panel as the aw2521hf, vg259qm, and acer predator xb253q gx. Except the msi in my opinion has the best OD tuning since the blue coronas are basically inivisible. The only time i saw them was occasional blue flashes every 2% of the time.. But 98% of the time it wont flash

Also dont forget the backlight strobing. It can be done at 240hz, there is mild crosstalk but its crosstalk isnt really that aggressive relative to most amb tech. Ive tried 240hz, personally indidnt see any crosstalk.

. Basically there are so many ways u can play.

Also, if unintend to use the OSD app, u can assign macros that give u an edge in game.
Last edited by RLCScontender on 14 Jun 2020, 02:20, edited 2 times in total.

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 14 Jun 2020, 02:20

RLCScontender wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 17:58
https://www.msi.com/Monitor/support/Opt ... own-driver

download the folder and install the ICM profile in the folder (yes, the mag272's icc profile is the best for the mag251rx, it USED to be on the MSI'251rx as well before they took it off for some weird reason). **keep in mind, every panel is different so if you aren't satisfied with waht you see, then don't use it.
—————————
RLCScontender wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 01:40
if u want to install the ICC profile, go that link i gave you, install it then go to display. Right click on your desktop and go to display settings-->advanced display settings-->display adapter properties-->color management-->DELETE that default icc and click add-->add the mag272 ICM profile.

Me mindful though, there are panel variances so what works for MY panel might not be optimal for yours. Then again, i've owned FOUR msi mag251rx and that ICM profile in my opinion was the best one of the 4 i purchased.

but yes, you have a lot of work to uupon geting it.

1 You have to install cru and have the PC resolution as "NATIVE" instead of the UHD, HD, SD on nvidia control panel. Otherwise it will display on the GPU which adds input lag/blur instead of the monitor.
2. You have to install an ICC profile(the one i gave is what i recommend)
3. you have to install "controlmymonitor" app. if you want to use backlight strobing in which you can adjust the brightness. it's fairly a lot of work out of the box but once you do all that, you really don't have to do anything
4. you have to install the MSI MAG251rx gaming app on the msi website if you want to assign macros and cheat when gaming. The gaming app in my opinion is the best. Iif i'm sniping, i always strobe and 1 click of a buttton and a few clicks of brightness, i'm able to get that perfect headshot(that's one example out of many to cheat) or 1 click of a button i have night vision automatically

once you do all that, you have the best overdrive TUNED 240hz ips monitor that basically has low enough overshoot to play on yet a response time that is faster than any IPS monitor to this date from 240hz and below.
————————
RLCScontender wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 04:07
the icc profile(ICM) is INSIDE the monitor driver download. The ICM profile is in that zipped folder, that's the only one you need. Once you right click and install it, go to display settings, display propeties, colors and add that ICM profile as your default color profile. the only thing you need to do afterwards is adjust the brightness level down to 30 for GENERAL computer use, or 90 if you intend to use it for gaming

for the GAMING OSD(gaming app) use this link. u dont' have to register

https://www.msi.com/Monitor/support/Opt ... wn-utility

select which operating system you are using(i'm using windows 10 at 64bit). Then the gaming OSD is available to download. Make sure you connect the USB cable that came with your monitor to be able to use it.
——————————
Joel D wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 16:51
Thanks for the clarification on this.

I'm on both these today and will report back.

Meanwhile - what are all the other settings I need to do with the other controls via the in-monitor settings, Nvidia Control panel and also Windows Settings ? The ones mainly for lowest input lag, best response, etc.. As it seems this profile thing here is mainly about color and looks right ?

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 14 Jun 2020, 02:20

workonyou wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 11:38
I don't have the zero latency option in my Gaming OSD. Was it removed in 2.0?

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 14 Jun 2020, 02:22

they will add the zero latency option in Q3 of this year in the gaming OSD

not that you really need it. The input lag is extremely low. Only a few monitors(acer/nitro/predator from AUO panel) have slightly less input lag due to the fact that acer tuned it to the poitn where it doesnt' have any processing delays. Also, they have their own ultra low latency option on their OSD

EDIT. be careful about the burn in risk since this is susceptible to image retention(moreso than the other 240hz ips panels). For example, in just FIVE mins, if i use the UFO test and let it stay for more than 5 mins, if i exit the screen, you will see white artefacts(image retention). The other 240hz IPS, it will take them longer to get that(the alienware has anti burn in/anti image retention measures on its OSD, but the MSI does not). So make sure you have a screensaver up on your computer to avoid any potential image retention. it's generally harmless and the retention will dissipate if you continue using the monitor. But if you do it too much, for too long. Sometimes, legit burn in may occur

the only downside about the MSI ist hat it doesn't have a dedicated SRGB mode(to clamp the wide gamut and saturation)
Last edited by RLCScontender on 14 Jun 2020, 02:28, edited 1 time in total.

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 14 Jun 2020, 02:28

RLCScontender wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 17:58
Once you right click and install it, go to display settings, display propeties, colors and add that ICM profile as your default color profile.
Quick question on this instruction (more on the Windows side): Will it *LINK* to that folder, or will it *COPY* that folder inside itself ? I want to know if I need to move that folder I download to a permanent place where it should reside in my computer (before adding it as default), OR after "adding" it if I can simply delete the original folder/download.

If I do need to keep it - where to you recommend keeping it at ? (I'm a super picky clean computer guy, so I hate things on my desktop and in stupid places that don't make sense. lol)

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 14 Jun 2020, 02:33

yes, you need to put that icm profile in a permanet dedicated folder because you need that icm profile as your default color profile.

once you download that zip folder, look for the ICM profile(delete the other stuff). Right click and install. Then go to dispplay settings-->display properties-->colors--->ADD that ICM profile that was provided and make it your default ICC profile.

you will know it's on when your ight click on your desktop and click on display settings. The color profile shouuld say "mag272.icm"

once the color profile is there, DO NOT adjust ANYTHING ELSE. Do not touch the REDs/Green/BLUE or mess with the contrast(btw, the contrast if youa re using the desktop should be at 70, and if you play videogames, no higher than 74)

the brightness, i put it down to 24-30 for general computer use while keeping the contrast to 70.

HOWEVER if you game, 85-90 brightness and 74 contrast is the optimal setting. (just dont' go higher than 74 contrast, some of the presets in that monitor have it at 80-85 contrast which is wayy too high)

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 14 Jun 2020, 02:45

RLCScontender wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 02:33
yes, you need to put that icm profile in a permanent dedicated folder because you need that icm profile as your default color profile.
Ok, got it. Where do you keep that permanent dedicated folder ? I'm new to PC's, but do they let you put the folder in the same place the default color profiles are ? This would make the most organizational sense to me. If so, can you steer me to that location ? I know how to get to places like that on a Mac, but I'm lost here, lol I can't even find my hard drive. Its like it hides it from you. Everything seems only accessible via that dumb start thing or "control panel" - But I wanna get to the hard drive folder itself and dive in there.