Looking for New Monitor Recommendations

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
june

Looking for New Monitor Recommendations

Post by june » 14 Jun 2020, 18:39

hi guys! i'm new here and also not too tech savvy so please bare with me :) i apologize in advance if i don't understand something or ask dumb questions

as you can see from the title, i'm looking to purchase a new monitor. i'll give as much detail as possible as far as what i'm looking for, my current computer specs, and what games i play to help with any recommendations.

(TLDR option: if this is too long of a read, i bolded & numbered some key questions i'd like answered if that's okay with you guys as a reader :))

my computer specs:
i7 8700K
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 2080 Ti
1TB samsung 970 pro nvme ssd

i use my pc for gaming but also work on it as well. my work doesn't require too much= anywhere between 5-20 google chrome tabs & microsoft office apps. i mainly play overwatch & cod with the occasional apex legends here and there. i used to use G-Sync but recently stopped and just run everything uncapped with low settings. i'd prefer a monitor with least ghosting/motion blur possible.

currently, i'm using an ASUS PG279QZ (27" IPS 165hz 5ms 1440p) and looking to upgrade to a 25-27" 240hz 1ms monitor. in a perfect world, i'd be purchasing a monitor with the following specs- 27" IPS 240hz 1ms 1440p but unfortunately, they don't exist. with that said, i'm wondering which specs i should be sacrificing for the other in order to pick the correct monitor to purchase

if i'm sacrificing the resolution and going down to 1080p (which i'm absolutely dreading), i guess my options would be Asus VG259QM/VG279QM, ViewSonic XG270, AW2521HFL, etc. I actually read the forum where someone ranks all the IPS 240hz monitors but couldn't read into much detail since the forum is already 40+ pages long. i have already purchased the AW2521HFL (which i returned) and VG259QM. i returned the alienware because i think the particular model i had was faulty. i was getting stuck pixels(??) where the monitor would keep an image that i was looking at and not refreshing it (sorry for the horrible explanation. not sure how to describe it nor what the problem is actually called). as for the VG259QM, the colors were pretty bad. idk if its just me but the colors were nowhere near compared to the PG279QZ colors i have. i come to realize that it has a ~75% gamut but the VG279QM has ~95% so i was considering returning and purchasing the VG279QM instead. i went with these two 25" monitors to alleviate the pixel density i'd be having to get used to but (1) is there a big difference in pixel density between a 25" 1080p and 27" 1080p? (2) besides the color accuracy and size difference between the VG279QM & VG259QM, are there any other differences these two monitors have? the 2 things i did love about the VG259QM is the 280hz and "VividPixel" option in its OSD settings. i would love a monitor recommendation that had similar setting option to the "VividPixel" setting.

I'm considering the ViewSonic XG270. (3) are there any notable differences or options that the XG270 has to offer as opposed to the other 240hz ips monitors?

i'm also considering the Zowie XL2546S with DyAc+ but it's not out yet. (4) would the XL2546S be worth waiting for even tho i'd have to sacrifice it being a TN panel AND i'd have to be downscaling to 1080p resolution from 1440p?

does anyone have the OMEN X27? this monitor has all the specs i want except that it's on a TN panel. i have heard that even TN panels give decent color accuracy these days but was wondering if someone that actually has this monitor would recommend it. (5) does the OMEN X27 have a good built in display scaler which i can utilize to downscale my resolution using CRU without any fuzziness/blurriness?

wow this ended up being so much longer than anticipated and i'm truly grateful and appreciative if you've read this much and can help me choose the right path to take in purchasing my next monitor. if there is any other info you think i should provide to help, please let me know as well. once again thanks so much for your time! :)

74tm

Re: Looking for New Monitor Recommendations

Post by 74tm » 14 Jun 2020, 20:05

I have the VG259QM and I'm quite happy with the colors, they were really close to my VA monitor. However, different people have different standards. As far as the Alienware monitor goes the problem you described is image retention, I've seen a handful of people complain about that I'm not sure whether it's due to faulty unit or if the issue is expected from the monitor.

Have you considered the MSI optix MAG251rx? It's probably the best out of the 240hz ips monitors. You could also try your luck with the Acer XB253Q GX.

Also the xg270 should not be that different from the Vg279qm as they both use the same panel.

june

Post by june » 14 Jun 2020, 21:22

74tm wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 20:05
I have the VG259QM and I'm quite happy with the colors, they were really close to my VA monitor. However, different people have different standards. As far as the Alienware monitor goes the problem you described is image retention, I've seen a handful of people complain about that I'm not sure whether it's due to faulty unit or if the issue is expected from the monitor.

Have you considered the MSI optix MAG251rx? It's probably the best out of the 240hz ips monitors. You could also try your luck with the Acer XB253Q GX.

Also the xg270 should not be that different from the Vg279qm as they both use the same panel.
yes it was image retention, thanks! it was driving me crazy trying to find out what that problem was called lol
i was considering the msi optix but i couldn't find any available for sale in my area. reading back to the post by RLCScontender that ranks all the ips 240hz monitors, he says that the msi also has image retention issues. how come this post doesn't have the acer monitor on the ranking list?

i suppose i can get used to the vg259qm color. would u mind sharing the OSD settings u use on your vg259qm?

74tm

Post by 74tm » 15 Jun 2020, 21:57

I also heard about the image retention on the Msi, apparently it's much more minimal though? All the information I have on it is from the thread that you read as well. Apparently the Acer is also susceptible to image retention however, I've only seen one complaint. I tested my Vg259qm for it and noticed nothing, nor could I find any complaints of image retention on either Asus 240hz monitors, perhaps Asus is doing something different? Or it could be a faulty unit related issue, anyways I've ordered the AW2521hfl to compare it to my Asus. So I guess I'll find out soon.

As for my settings I didn't change much, I just changed the color settings to warm, lowered the contrast to 50, and I was happy with how it looked.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 16 Jun 2020, 02:28

Acer predator xb273 x
MSI MAG251fx
Dell ALienware AW2521hf

or the vg259qm if you play a game that has a FPS above 240hz

ProX

Post by ProX » 17 Jun 2020, 07:40

I would go with Alienware AW2521HF, I tested and compared it with the Asus VG259QM and the input lag is lower / better, propably due to its uniqe hardware G-Sync Module / Scaler - which the other IPS models are missing. The build qualitity of the AW2521HF is also better than the VG259QM.
That your first one was faulty was bad luck, i have no image retention on my AW2521HF (you can google "retention test" for testing). Maybe you try it again with the AW2521HF.

Max_hz

Post by Max_hz » 17 Jun 2020, 08:40

@ ProX
"I would go with Alienware AW2521HF, I tested and compared it with the Asus VG259QM and the input lag is lower / better, propably due to its uniqe hardware G-Sync Module / Scaler - which the other IPS models are missing"

In what way did you test this monitor? do you have special equipment for testing input-lag? or is this your subjective opinion?
From what I've read about this monitor https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/pr ... ors/specs/ it is freesync and g-sync compatible but not G-Sync.
In use: Asus VG259QM IPS 240-280hz - Hanns-G HS233 TN 120hz
Used before: LG 24LG600 TN 144hz - HP Omen X 25f TN 240hz - ViewSonic XG2402 TN 144hz - Asus VG259Q IPS 144hz

ProX

Post by ProX » 17 Jun 2020, 15:22

Max_hz wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 08:40
@ ProX
"I would go with Alienware AW2521HF, I tested and compared it with the Asus VG259QM and the input lag is lower / better, propably due to its uniqe hardware G-Sync Module / Scaler - which the other IPS models are missing"

In what way did you test this monitor? do you have special equipment for testing input-lag? or is this your subjective opinion?
From what I've read about this monitor https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/pr ... ors/specs/ it is freesync and g-sync compatible but not G-Sync.
I have no special equipment but i did a lot of tests, the processing time of the AW2521HF is really fast, e. g. it is more then 1 seconds faster back from desktop to a fullscreen game again then the Asus VG259QM.
The AW2521HF is actually a full G-SYNC monitor and it has definetly variable overdrive, you can set the overdrive setting to "extreme" and you has almost never any overshoot (still not on low FPS). So the nvidia page is wrong at this point, its only not certificated for what ever reason from nvidia (maybe Dell wanted to avoid the licence costs for the certification), but a hardware module should still be installed.

Btw "rtings" did a professional test on the AW2521HF and they wrote the following about the input lag: "The Alienware AW2521HF's input lag is outstanding."

june

Post by june » 17 Jun 2020, 17:32

RLCScontender wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 02:28
Acer predator xb273 x
MSI MAG251fx
Dell ALienware AW2521hf

or the vg259qm if you play a game that has a FPS above 240hz
hey thanks for responding as i strongly value your input! i've read your post that ranks all the 240hz ips monitors (just the main post and not the whole thread yet) and from your list, i've purchased the AW2521HF, VG259QM, and XG270. i returned the AW2521HF because of image retention issues and am currently trying out the XG270. my preference so far is the VG59QM for the 280hz and "VividPixel" setting it has, but i really dislike the colors. i'm strongly considering purchasing the MAG251FX and was wondering if it had the same or very similar setting to "vividpixel"? according to your description on the mag251fx, i think ill have no problem with the colors on it so if it did have a vividpixel setting, i think that will be the monitor for me

june

Post by june » 17 Jun 2020, 17:34

ProX wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 07:40
I would go with Alienware AW2521HF, I tested and compared it with the Asus VG259QM and the input lag is lower / better, propably due to its uniqe hardware G-Sync Module / Scaler - which the other IPS models are missing. The build qualitity of the AW2521HF is also better than the VG259QM.
That your first one was faulty was bad luck, i have no image retention on my AW2521HF (you can google "retention test" for testing). Maybe you try it again with the AW2521HF.
is color the only difference between the AW2521HFL and AW2521HF? i found it hard to believe that color is the only reason it costs $100+ more but that's what the customer support representative told me when i asked