Hard stuttering gsync monitor

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Mitouz

Hard stuttering gsync monitor

Post by Mitouz » 06 Jul 2020, 09:57

hey guys
First of all im sorry if i make mistakes, english is not my native language but i'll do my best.

I've got a big video issues ingame that drives me insane for month : micro stuttering

As you can see in this video (RDR 2 is not the only game where i got this issue)

https://vimeo.com/435752735

-fps are constant
-frametime is constant
- GPU and CPU usage et temps are fine.

Still the game hard stutter

I can limit the Issue by going fullscreen, but i still got this kind of micro-stuttering issues for no reasons and its litteraly ruining my game experience

I Know you are expert in this forum, and i perfectly optimized windows 10 and my hardware for gaming

I just dont understand what is causing this kind of microstuttering....

I've tried with and without Gsync/Vsync/240hz/60hz... everytime i got this kind of stuttering

Just want to Know what's causing this ? Or how can i troubleshoot this and find the issue ?

I'm sure its an video issue, and i'm pretty sure as well thats windows fault

I already disabled gamebar, dvr and all this shit things...

I just want to know if you guys can tell me what is causing this stutter? (Vsync forced in windows? Harware or software conflict?)

Thanks a lot for your help

My setup :

Windows 10 2004
Nvidia GTX 1080
I7 8700K
16Gb ram

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Hard stuttering gsync monitor

Post by RealNC » 06 Jul 2020, 10:38

Frame limiters very often solve microstutters. I use RTSS for this, and it fixed lots of games. If you have a gsync monitor, you can cap your FPS with FTSS to whatever you want, but I recommend capping to near the FPS the game is able to run most of the time.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Mitouz

Post by Mitouz » 06 Jul 2020, 13:40

Hello
First of all thanks for your answer

But i already cap my framerate (through Nvidia driver or RTSS...doesnt make any difference.. still stuttering like this for no reasons)

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 06 Jul 2020, 14:59

Mitouz wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 09:57
I've tried with and without Gsync/Vsync/240hz/60hz... everytime i got this kind of stuttering

[...]

My setup :

Windows 10 2004
Nvidia GTX 1080
I7 8700K
16Gb ram
Mitouz wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 13:40
But i already cap my framerate (through Nvidia driver or RTSS...doesnt make any difference.. still stuttering like this for no reasons)
Not enough details to narrow this down. What is your monitor model, and what were your G-SYNC, NVCP, refresh rate, FPS limiter, and in-game settings in that video capture?
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

3dfan

Post by 3dfan » 06 Jul 2020, 15:53

sorry not to help direcly but it would not surprise me if its windows version 2004 the cause of your issue, it reminds me when i "upgrade" from version 1709 to the next win 10 version: some annoying random stutters when moving the mouse started to occur in evil within 2 which i was playing at 75fps capped, vsync on, monitor at 75hz, even when the framerate was constant and stable. it drove me nuts figuring out what happened until somewhere on the internet i was noticed that microsoft also changed some video driver related functions in newer windows 10 versions that surely caused that issue, i tested installing again 1709 and issue solved until microsoft started to force "upgrading" no matter what. fortunately i was not playing evil within 2 anymore, so i did not want to keep fighting with windows anymore and upgraded, since that, i do and would highly recommend to gamers to test newer windows versions on spare partitions or hard disk and test to ensure nothing will get screwed before "upgrading".

Mitouz

Post by Mitouz » 06 Jul 2020, 17:04

You probabely right, cause on another forum someone said that he got the same issue with wndows 2004 and rollback to 1909 fixed it...

But i cant rollback without a clean install but i dont want to do that and windows 2004 update will be forced by windows soon or later anyway...

I could give my monitor, nvidia settings and everything but it will be useless cause i got perfectly smooth gameplay with that setup so its not monitor related or settings related.

Its not possible that windows 2004 causing this issues. I'll investigate for it.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Jul 2020, 19:36

Try complete driver uninstall and reinstall.

Next, disconnect all secondary monitors (go single monitor)

Then, for most reliable behavior, the opposing-settings technique helps:

In-Game Settings:
- VSYNC OFF (purpose: get the engine to behave better with VRR)

NVIDIA Control Panel
- VSYNC ON
- G-SYNC

Then worry about tweaking (caps, etc) after you fixed all the above.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Mitouz

Post by Mitouz » 07 Jul 2020, 02:47

Hello chief
Thanks for your help
But as i said i already tried a lot of things :
- Uninstall with DDU all graphics drivers
- Clean install of the New nvidia drivers (only graphics drivers not geforce experience and audio drivers..)
- Multiple nvidia settings test but this video was captured with the following :
Gsync On
Vsync On in NVdrivers
60 hz and 240Hz for monitor and ingame (i tried both)
Vsync OFF in game

Before i got perfectly smooth gameplay with those settings...

3dfan

Post by 3dfan » 07 Jul 2020, 08:43

if i were you, i would also try to test older drivers, ones that were released arround RDR 2 release to test for example, i know you mentioned it does not occur only on that game, but i had also experienced issues sometime with newer drivers screwing things that already worked in older ones, if this also does not work and nothing further you try works, i highly recomend to figure a confortable way to install older windows 10 version than 2004 to test, if you can on a 2 hard disk or parittion so if it does not fix anything, you dont screw your existing 2004 version for nothing.

this is not the answer i would like to give, its absurd that newer windows versions scews thing when the opposite should occur, but after what happened to my after version 1709 (which was the last version in which all my games worked flawlesly) one have to consider windows 10 versions a potential issue cause.