BENQ Zowie XL2546S Inversion Artifacts

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
wusa

BENQ Zowie XL2546S Inversion Artifacts

Post by wusa » 14 Jul 2020, 10:51

Hello,

I got my XL2546S this week and have questions about "Vertical Inversion Artifacts".

When I run this test ( https://www.testufo.com/inversion#patte ... ion&ppf=15 ) I can see very thin vertical lines on my screen and some areas start flickering. The vertical lines and the flickering is very noticable on the green READY bar below the test.

I had the XL2546(no S) before and had the same problem. That was the main reason why I didn't kept the XL2546.

Is this a known problem? Is there a way to fix these vertical inversion artifacts?
They trigger me very hard when I see them ingame :(

Thanks

edit: I have already tried to connect the monitor to another PC to make sure it's not a problem with my PC

Dirty Scrubz

Re: BENQ Zowie XL2546S Inversion Artifacts

Post by Dirty Scrubz » 14 Jul 2020, 23:43

What browser did you use?

Max_hz

Post by Max_hz » 15 Jul 2020, 03:11

With the Omen X 25f I also had faint vertical lines especially visible when you moved in the game for example when you are standing in front of a wall and then move from left to right they are clearly visible. If your problem is the same, you can do nothing about it beside sending it back to the shop.
It's one of the reasons i choosed for a IPS panel this time.

According Chief BB;
"This artifact is caused by LCD inversion and is most visible when viewing odd-pixel-step horizontal motion,

TL;DR: LCD Inversion is the art of alternating positive/negative voltage in adjacent pixels in adjacent refresh cycles, to keep voltage balanced, to prevent static buildup and prevent image retention in LCDs.

Artifacts caused by LCD inversion can include checkerboard-textures, fine-lines textures, or vertical-lines textures, especially in solid colors during eye tracking. LCD inversion should be normally invisible but sometimes LCD inversion generates artifacts like these.
Not all panels have this, it is more common with TN and to some extent VA, while mostly invisible or gone on IPS. Generally, the faster the pixel response is, the more visible inversion artifacts can become, and it gets tougher to compensate. On a good monitor, they should only be faintly visible rather than blatantly visible. They are also less visible on some monitor brands than others. It can also be a panel lottery issue as well, and sometimes one goes so abberant that it's a warranty claim -- but it can also be a manufacturer/model trend."
In use: Asus VG259QM IPS 240-280hz - Hanns-G HS233 TN 120hz
Used before: LG 24LG600 TN 144hz - HP Omen X 25f TN 240hz - ViewSonic XG2402 TN 144hz - Asus VG259Q IPS 144hz

wusa

Post by wusa » 15 Jul 2020, 05:37

Dirty Scrubz wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 23:43
What browser did you use?
I tested with chome and opera but i also see those vertical lines ingame.

Max_hz wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 03:11
With the Omen X 25f I also had faint vertical lines especially visible when you moved in the game for example when you are standing in front of a wall and then move from left to right they are clearly visible. If your problem is the same, you can do nothing about it beside sending it back to the shop.
It's one of the reasons i choosed for a IPS panel this time.

According Chief BB;
"This artifact is caused by LCD inversion and is most visible when viewing odd-pixel-step horizontal motion,

TL;DR: LCD Inversion is the art of alternating positive/negative voltage in adjacent pixels in adjacent refresh cycles, to keep voltage balanced, to prevent static buildup and prevent image retention in LCDs.

Artifacts caused by LCD inversion can include checkerboard-textures, fine-lines textures, or vertical-lines textures, especially in solid colors during eye tracking. LCD inversion should be normally invisible but sometimes LCD inversion generates artifacts like these.
Not all panels have this, it is more common with TN and to some extent VA, while mostly invisible or gone on IPS. Generally, the faster the pixel response is, the more visible inversion artifacts can become, and it gets tougher to compensate. On a good monitor, they should only be faintly visible rather than blatantly visible. They are also less visible on some monitor brands than others. It can also be a panel lottery issue as well, and sometimes one goes so abberant that it's a warranty claim -- but it can also be a manufacturer/model trend."
Yes, my problem is pretty much the same as you described.
I have a some friends that also own the 2546(S). They don't see those lines. Did I lost in the panel lottery (twice) or am i just more sensible to those things and they are not?

Dirty Scrubz

Post by Dirty Scrubz » 15 Jul 2020, 15:27

Did you test it with strobing on or off? How does it look in this test: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php

If you notice it in game, I would return the panel and either get a replacement or an IPS monitor which is less prone to it.

Max_hz

Post by Max_hz » 16 Jul 2020, 04:23

@wusa

"Yes, my problem is pretty much the same as you described.
I have a some friends that also own the 2546(S). They don't see those lines. Did I lost in the panel lottery (twice) or am i just more sensible to those things and they are not?"

Tried 2 times a Omen X 25f (with different production dates) and both suffered from it didn't tried a third one and yes I think it's a panel lottery thing, when pushing a panel to it's limits the risk of inversion artifacts become greater.
Those lines can be really annoying in game also I have the idea it could be worst over time so I would return the monitor. I don't think it's a case of "being sensible for it" I showed those lines to others and they also could see them clearly.
In use: Asus VG259QM IPS 240-280hz - Hanns-G HS233 TN 120hz
Used before: LG 24LG600 TN 144hz - HP Omen X 25f TN 240hz - ViewSonic XG2402 TN 144hz - Asus VG259Q IPS 144hz

Conan

Post by Conan » 16 Jul 2020, 09:25

thank you for this post. my xl2546s is coming as amazon says by 28th July...
God knows what is awaiting for me....

@DirtyScrubz , that setup people mentioning you did with your XL2746S, can it be applied to XL2546S as well?

TN_fun

Post by TN_fun » 16 Jul 2020, 09:48

sorry for bad english, i use translator.
All TN 24.5 "144-240hz have vertical scan lines problem, I had several.
This can be found in both reviews and reviews.
Some do not notice this, or the effect is weak.
I also saw what some said - there are lines on a new monitor, but they pass later, after use (2 weeks or more)
I ditched TN 24.5 in favor of IPS 24.5 "144hz.
The most interesting thing is that at the very beginning there was the same problem (but the effect is very very weak) and after 2 weeks it completely disappeared.

So I think you need to use your monitor for some time (2 weeks or more), and if it doesn't work, you can lose the monitor, buy ips (24.5 "ips 240hz are pretty fast)

Dirty Scrubz

Post by Dirty Scrubz » 16 Jul 2020, 17:44

Conan wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 09:25
thank you for this post. my xl2546s is coming as amazon says by 28th July...
God knows what is awaiting for me....

@DirtyScrubz , that setup people mentioning you did with your XL2746S, can it be applied to XL2546S as well?
Most likely not exactly since the xl2546s uses a different panel type and I believe scaler. But it should give you an idea of where to go. I just learned today that BenQ discontinued the XL2546S so you guys might want to look into returning yours or canceling your orders. Seems they’re bringing out a version 2 in September.

wusa

Post by wusa » 16 Jul 2020, 21:31

Dirty Scrubz wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 17:44
I just learned today that BenQ discontinued the XL2546S so you guys might want to look into returning yours or canceling your orders. Seems they’re bringing out a version 2 in September.
any sources to this?

edit:
found it here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6206
Last edited by wusa on 17 Jul 2020, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.