XB271HUA artifacts, normal or bad luck with monitor rev / panel lottery

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
PiCoTTo

XB271HUA artifacts, normal or bad luck with monitor rev / panel lottery

Post by PiCoTTo » 22 Jul 2020, 04:24

Hello,

I love 3D in videogames. I got a good deal of new brand Acer Predator XB271HUA (TN panel), which I mainly purchased as 3D monitor backup for my Asus VG248QE. Even more now, as I think that 3D monitors are no longer manufactured and are gradually depleted. This Acer monitor is also identified as UM.HX1EE.A01, XB271HUAbmiprz, or UM.HX1AA.A01

Thank to this web site, I know that every TN monitor with FRC has more or less pixel inversion and occasionally, scanlines. I have observed both issues in my unit, and need to know if their level of intensity are normal in this monitor, or I have not been so lucky with the revision/FW or “panel lottery”. I am still time to request a replacement to Amazon, but I only want to do so if there is a chance of obtain a better unit. Amazon keeps tracks of your replacements/returns.

The vertical scanlines issue comes visible in both 3D and 2D modes, at every vertical refresh rate, and always into movement, no matter if it is the image or your eyes over the screen what moves. Of course, the more uniform and bright the color area, the more appreciable this effect is. It’s hard to film this effect. It is similar to the photo below, but with a lower level of intensity:

The pixel inversion raises in 3D mode, also as vertical lines, to the both sides of contrasting graphical elements (just like crosstalk). The photo below shows the issue through the left lens of nVidia glasses with a monitor contrast of 50/100. I must lower the monitor contrast to 22 or less to get it barely noticeable. But this way the scene turns quite darker and the colors gets too much wasted.

I would appreciate if any XB271HUA owner tell me that these effects are much more subtle in his unit. Any advice from the community is also welcome.

My unit is manufactured in March 2020, with the following versions…
HW Revision: 264
NV FW Version: 5.52
FW version: 20170206_0_302515

PD: I’ve paid 412€ for the monitor.