Still no performance review on VG259QM?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Romiyo

Re: Still no performance review on VG259QM?

Post by Romiyo » 06 Aug 2020, 16:02

Quarksie wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 07:44
Could someone help me with those bit of data in the following:

I want an IPS for color accuracy, as for TNs I guess I would have to wait until september for the new BenQ)
Price in EU are same as of right now for 27"Asus, 25"Asus or 25"MSI (the Acer Predator XB273X is slightly too big for me, also more expensive, and specs just equal if not worse in certain aspect)

Asus VG259QM (admitting same tech as VG279QM)

Pros

-240 to 280Hz with huge VT (room to overclock)
-280hz OD100 is among or definitly the fastest response time on the market as for now
-IPS tech and good colors (both pre- and post- cal)
-lowest input lag on the market (Rtings)

Cons

- not fastest response time on the market due IPS tech & pixel transition @280hz OD80~75-100% in window
@240hz OD80~95%
@240hz OD60~50%
@200hz OD60~88%
- while OD80 adds overshoot which should forces variable OD to be implemented (ELMB-Sync weirdly features an auto-managed OD, no other possibility for variable OD without strobing feature):
>200hz we want OD80
<200hz we want OD60
when they actually should permitted an auto-managed OD settings or just should have implemented a better OD90 something faster than OD80 but with less overshoot than OD100.

MSI MAG251RX
in comparaison to Asus VG259QM/VG279QM

Pros

-fast response @ODfaster but only with one OD setting, OD faster (100 in window acc. to HU)
-fastest @60hz
-According to Hardware Unb it has lower input lag VG279QM by ~0,7ms
-good contrast ratio/colors 240hz
-anti blur tech sligthly more performant than Asus

Cons

-suffer from same lack of VOD(variable overdrive), which makes OD faster than unusable at lower RR
because of the overshoot it introduces @lower RR, and other OD settings just not fast enough for 240hz

Quarksie
I am making my decision between these two monitors as well, but based on your list you listed there, it seems like the Asus is the clear winner. Also, the MSI with the lower response time is very likely due it being a 25" monitor vs the Asus 27". 25" always seem to have the lower input lag. For me if you want the absolute best performance and you can hit over 240hz you might as well go for the 280hz. The downsides i've seen with the Asus compared to the MSI is that the MSI seems a little more premium with the monitor having USB passthrough and i believe a gamer toggle feature to change stuff on the fly.

Quarksie

Post by Quarksie » 06 Aug 2020, 19:27

Thank you for your answer; I already have the VG259QM, and it's the first time I own a 240Hz monitor so I had everything to leanr about monitors. This Asus VG259QM is complicated to say the least: there is no way we can say it's a bad monitor per se according to results but the feel of it... well it's somehow a little off.

I will try to explain myself: it is a monitor that needs (like most monitor) some kind of variable overdrive setting, not adaptive sync or adaptive strobing sync. Simply because to keep clear motion without crosstalk you can't just set OD to a value and live it at there because games don't allow for most a constant 240+fps --> there is a right balance of pixel transition/artifact generated (image quality) to be found

>200 FPS OD80 insures (the sources conflicts on that one) from 75 to 100% of pixel transition to achieve the desired refresh cycle with minimal (more like tolerable, vary from person to person) image artifacts (degradation, crosstalk, etc.)
<200 FPS OD40-60 no crosstalk (these OD settings don't alloy a volume pixels big enough to transition to achieve super-200Hz cycles)

OD100 insures full panel pixel transition at all time but is visually unusable.

Which drives to the question: why no OD sync? a VRR dependent automated OD. ELBM Sync with VRR blocks acces to OD but does not actually manage OD according to RR: practically I experienced too much crosstalk, making this feature useless (because visualy unpleasant).

This to me makes this monitor a good prototype for... exactly the same problem as the MSI has: under a certain RR we need to change OD manualy to make the picture pleasant.

I don't even mention this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6685

I'm no competitor in shooters but really interested in monitors lately, the more I dig the more I think a true 240hz with good image quality is probably still to early for IPS panels (or do TNs suffer from the same plague?).

I find halos everywhere quite annoying, but if I want otherwise then with OD60 I can get close to just above a real 200hz with this panel (is that right?). Or mentioning the thread above maybe getting the 27" gets rid of that with a better OD80.

My choice as of right now would be more like this:
1) keep it... because whatever I'm not going to make money on online gaming and just enjoy 25" OD60 with borderline fake 240hz
2) get the 27", upon which all reviews are made, but then I am sure of the fact above + less PPI
3) get a BenQ/Omen x25f/Acer Nitro/ LG GK750 sure that those panel are true 240hz compliant for a better motion clarity experience, but supposedly worse color accuracy and contrast.

I have to make my choice in the next 5 days to return this monitor :? (I'm hear to get enlighted on those question and lots of ppl are kind enough to help and save others the bothers of sending back/ ordering again kinda hassle, so thank you all)

Quarksie

Post by Quarksie » 06 Aug 2020, 19:49

just to clarify because my english is not so good:

OD 100 unsuable from lowest to 280hz
OD 80 gives 240hz and just about 280hz but with tolerable (personal opinion, pers. I don't like it) visual degradation
OD 40-60 gives just about 200-220hz picture without artifact, slight blur
no difference with VRR enabled
ELMB-sync + VRR makes motion clearer but blocks OD to what maybe 80 because of increasing picture degradation at lower RR, makes it for me unusable for games that dip from 240 to 80 fps
best setting: ELBM sync on + no VRR @240hz and thus we don't know which OD is on but it gives the best visual result so far (but acc. to reviews, on the 27" version, it is yet not a full 100% window)

Quarksie

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 07 Aug 2020, 08:52

Quarksie wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 19:49

best setting: ELBM sync on + no VRR @240hz and thus we don't know which OD is on but it gives the best visual result so far (but acc. to reviews, on the 27" version, it is yet not a full 100% window)
I absolutely agree on ELMB+ 240hz + VRR off.
I think that the % inside the window at 240hz with OD80 is extremely close to 100%.
Try it yourself without ELMB, set 240hz OD80 and set the ufo speed to 1440pps and do the same at 280hz, compare OD60 and OD80.
At 280hz it looks like 70/80% inside the window, at 240hz it can easily be 95 to 100%.

OD80 on the VG259QM is way more aggressive than OD80 on the vg279qm, ELMB-Sync hides a good percentage of the overshoot.
ELMB-Sync has correctly timed strobe phases at both 240 and 280hz, it gives amazing results and counters the main problem that is affecting 240hz IPS monitors which is slow dark transitions.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

Quarksie

Post by Quarksie » 07 Aug 2020, 14:21

I just tried what you consiled axaro and I have to agree

-ELMB works great @240 with clear image accompanied by average crosstalk on the darker background (@1440p/s it is possible to discern UFO's handelbar and alien pupils correctly, almost enough to discern how many dots on the spaceship at this pace)

-@240 OD80: pupils blurry, handelbar blurry, moderate overshoot
-@280 OD80: pupils clear, handelbar clear, less overshot as with 240Hz
-@280 OD60: pupils slightly blurry, handelbar clear, no overshoot (I expected actually lot worse as the reviews meant OD60 isn't supposed to provide fast enough pixel transition, did I misunderstand?)

also ELMB on @280hz is probably the only mode that allows to discern the 3 dots on each quarter of the spaceship, but that crosstalk! I guess this is why I prefered 240hz + ELBM (no VRR coz it looks horrible when fps are dipping), I mean I won't discern all the 3 dots as clearly as with 280hz + ELBM but there is way less crosstalk making the image I look at more pleasant!
(edit: @ 280 hz actualy might be browser stutters, basically on all background shades the front of the UFO sutters so much it cuts the first alien eye in half and the rear is accompanied by crosstalk worse on dark background and just 1 closely attached doubled image on the lightest nackground)

Ok then I understand what you mean and thank a lot for the exercise.

Last question: what do the reviews mean by transition window if OD 60 is clearer at 280 than 240 (I mean I understood that this OD won't allow a the panel to refresh @280hz, and acc. to Hardware Unboxed, just 88% enough for 200hz)?